DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro autofocus problems: any fix?

BigBoozer

Reactions
I have followed numerous threads here where the problem of unstable focus is discussed, but I have found no solutions? Did I miss something?
I am using a ND filter on my MP just because A) It protects the lens and B) It fixes an annoying Jello problem of the gimbal: some OP say that the ND filter may cause an fluctuating loss of focus, but until now I never did notice it. This month I was flying again in a high-altitude desert in NW Argentina, and the problem happened more than once, flying at altitudes around 3500 MASL one time and 5500-6000 MASL another. The only way to obtain a stable autofocused image was to record it while flying backwards. Any hint? Thanks, folks.

I have followed numerous threads here where the problem of unstable focus is discussed, but I have found no solutions? Did I miss something?
I am using a ND filter on my MP just because A) It protects the lens and B) It fixes an annoying Jello problem of the gimbal: some OP say that the ND filter may cause an fluctuating loss of focus, but until now I never did notice it. This month I was flying again in a high-altitude desert in NW Argentina, and the problem happened more than once, flying at altitudes around 3500 MASL one time and 5500-6000 MASL another. The only way to obtain a stable autofocused image was to record it while flying backwards. Any hint? Thanks, folks.
The Mavic Pro’s focal length and sensor size mean that unless you are extremely close to a subject infinity focus will will always be in focus. DJI even designed the Mavic Air without adjustable focus at all for this reason.

So all you have to do is tap to focus on a far away object, let it auto focus on that object and then switch to manual focus which locks in the focus. Never worry about focusing again!

The Mavic Pro’s focal length and sensor size mean that unless you are extremely close to a subject infinity focus will will always be in focus. DJI even designed the Mavic Air without adjustable focus at all for this reason.

So all you have to do is tap to focus on a far away object, let it auto focus on that object and then switch to manual focus which locks in the focus. Never worry about focusing again!
Thanks Brett, what is funny is that the first half of the first video with focus problems is perfectly and steadily focused, while during the return flight it keeps adjusting the focus, with very poor results.
The second video is out of focus for the whole first half while it stabilized at a given moment and never lost the focus for the remaining 6-7 minutes. All this in spite of me tapping on the screen when I saw the image getting blurred, to reset the focus point. What it's interesting is that in the first case, when I turned the drone, to record the volcano behind it, while flying back towards home, the focus got stable and precise.
I wonder if the wind has an effect on autofocus... I had quite a lot in both cases.
I must try the technique you suggested, thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02