DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Thanks chazz. You say when you were flying with the original motors - have you replaced them? I saw your flight out to 59000 with three protec 3600s (that's why I have 3 protec 3600s) :). On that flight were you keeping your power below 80%? And were your motors warm or hot when your bird got back? I am thinking they might not get too hot while keeping your airspeed up but maybe it is more power related. But then again you had three batteries on where I only had two. Beanbubba has given me some ideas of how to keep from overheating the motors. What did mnoutdoors do with the rear covers?

1 - Yes i replaced them. I put Phantom 3 motors on my Mavic. I started a thread about it here Mavic Pro Motor Mod

2 - you're confusing me with @CyberNate. he did the 3 protek 3600's

3 - mnoutdoors said about pulling the rear covers off the rear arms under the motors for airflow.

good luck man

Last edited:
IMG_7249.JPG IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7257.JPG MAVIC PRO battery mod test, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ( Mod Removed ) rain
ok guys just some photos at work today, i was going to go out and test this setup, BUT it start to pour out.....so this for now will just be a few shots of it flying in my dumpy office, but after 7 minutes started getting magnetic warnings and compass, im surprised i got that long, seeing my office is below ground, and near tons of metal, but i promise i will do an outside test,

BUT from what i saw in the app, i got 15:55 and still had 49% battery, so thats looking very promising, but i want to try just 1 battery instead of 2, have a 3 point test
these are the new Thunder power hv 3500 Lipos, they match DJI cells, 11.4 volt, instead of 11.1 volt
but i think it will do better with 1 than 2 because of weight v.s. horse power....

1. stock
2. 1 Thunder power HV lipo
3. 2 thunder power HV lipos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chazz
Roger that - Thanks

That is not exactly true.

On both the AC and RC the left port is a TX/RX-combo port, and the right port is a RX-only port. We have exhausted this topic in the past and there is zero difference in performance by only using the left port versus both ports. There is one corner case for close range flying with lots of urban terrain (i.e. buildings/bridges/etc) where using both ports can take advantage of MIMO radio technology but I have never been able to measure any noticeable difference in any situation where the left port performed identically to both ports in use.

In all situations now I only use the left port in all my setups. I initially ran 2 coax up my tower with 2 panel antennas, this was before I discovered how the mavic radio system works. The second coax on my tower is now unplugged.

EDIT: if doing this all over again, I would run 2 coax up the tower. One to a high gain panel antenna, the other to a low gain omni antenna. Then I could swap the two cables in my shop when I want to not fly only in a straight line in one direction.

. . . there is zero difference in performance by only using the left port versus both ports. There is one corner case for close range flying with lots of urban terrain (i.e. buildings/bridges/etc) where using both ports can take advantage of MIMO radio technology but I have never been able to measure any noticeable difference in any situation where the left port performed identically to both ports in use.

In all situations now I only use the left port in all my setups. I initially ran 2 coax up my tower with 2 panel antennas, this was before I discovered how the mavic radio system works. The second coax on my tower is now unplugged.

EDIT: if doing this all over again, I would run 2 coax up the tower. One to a high gain panel antenna, the other to a low gain omni antenna. Then I could swap the two cables in my shop when I want to not fly only in a straight line in one direction.

This is surprising to me. I have heard some people say that the left port is for drone control and the right port is for video. So I assume if you want a video signal you have to use the right port. Is this wrong?

This is surprising to me. I have heard some people say that the left port is for drone control and the right port is for video. So I assume if you want a video signal you have to use the right port. Is this wrong?

On both the AC and RC the left port is a TX/RX-combo port, and the right port is a RX-only port. We have exhausted this topic in the past and there is zero difference in performance by only using the left port versus both ports. There is one corner case for close range flying with lots of urban terrain (i.e. buildings/bridges/etc) where using both ports can take advantage of MIMO radio technology but I have never been able to measure any noticeable difference in any situation where the left port performed identically to both ports in use.

Hi Beanbubba, let me see if I am getting this correct since I fly my Mavic with amps in both sides of my RC with circular antennas, I can take off the right side amp and performance will be about the same? Is that correct? Thanks!

Hi Beanbubba, let me see if I am getting this correct since I fly my Mavic with amps in both sides of my RC with circular antennas, I can take off the right side amp and performance will be about the same? Is that correct? Thanks!

Yes, that is 110% correct (assuming the same model amp and same model antenna on both ports).

Have you guys seen this spark mod? It uses the balance cable only that connects inside the factory battery. I do not ever remember trying this method on the mavic. If so, did I miss the thread?

View attachment 37941

DJI SPARK MODIFIED SMART BATTERY INCLUDEDS FREE SHIPPING

The deafening silence tells me none of us have tried this mod method on the mavic. This looks promising to possibly use the mavic factory battery controller with external batteries combined with the factory battery cells. Anyone??

The deafening silence tells me none of us have tried this mod method on the mavic. This looks promising to possibly use the mavic factory battery controller with external batteries combined with the factory battery cells. Anyone??

I'm not all that sure what's going on under the hood of that Spark battery but all I see 2 wires going to the balance connector. That tells me that he us using the balance leads to supply power to the main battery instead of the XT60. You have a positive and negative lead off the balance connector so you can draw from a batter this way. This might work with a Spark (not sure of the amperage pull of those motors) but even with those beefier wires, I wouldn't do this on a Mavic. Heck, the terminal ends on the balance connector are probably less conductive than the wires probably. Also, think about what gauge wire your balance connectors are and the amps you'll be pushing through them. Even if it worked well on a Mavic, I doubt it would see any measurable gains vs using XT60.

Correct, this is wrong. Has been proven and debunked several times over the last year.

I'm not all that sure what's going on under the hood of that Spark battery but all I see 2 wires going to the balance connector. That tells me that he us using the balance leads to supply power to the main battery instead of the XT60. You have a positive and negative lead off the balance connector so you can draw from a batter this way. This might work with a Spark (not sure of the amperage pull of those motors) but even with those beefier wires, I wouldn't do this on a Mavic. Heck, the terminal ends on the balance connector are probably less conductive than the wires probably. Also, think about what gauge wire your balance connectors are and the amps you'll be pushing through them. Even if it worked well on a Mavic, I doubt it would see any measurable gains vs using XT60.
That is a fair assessment and along what I was thinking. But why would the folks that did the spark mod not use the main power connector? It has me scratching my head.

They also have the same mod for the Air on their website.

Reactions: dirtybum
That is a fair assessment and along what I was thinking. But why would the folks that did the spark mod not use the main power connector? It has me scratching my head.

They also have the same mod for the Air on their website.
Ya got me. They could be soldering the leads on the balance taps on the battery board instead of the pos / neg taps on the battery. I don't know anything about the Spark or the Mavic Air. I guess that the amperage demand is much lower and the balance cable is sufficient for power delivery and saves a few grams in weight instead of XT60. But that difference is minimal. Really interesting the way he's doing it though. Seems like it's just a different method of delivering the power essentially the same way. I remember the old P3 battery mod a different vendor sold. He always insisted on connecting the balance lead and the XT60. But we found that there was no difference in behavior with it connected or not.

Dear All !

Im Wolf, and im working on a electronics to control battery on the mavic pro.
But i need some people to be able to make some tests, and also i need a mavic pro batery almost dead to make this tests.

This is what im working on :

1 - Electronics to activate the extra battery after the dji original battery is low, this can be made using the leds of the drone, or in another ways.
2 - I need a dead mavic pro battery to take of the battery plug to make modifications in the connections, if we use the data from the original battery but take the 12volts from another battery what will happen ??
3 - I need a almost dead dji mavic pro to be able to insert new cells ( more ) and config the bin file in the chip to acept the new cells.

Can i have people to work on this projects ??

d9ab44f4de4121f07375c6f1ba3b02be.jpg

Hey Guys,
So I Just got done testing this mod, and I wanted to let you know my results. I know that there is a lot of controversy over whether or not these actually work. In sport mode the batteries add about 4.3 minutes of flight time, while in regular flying the batteries add about 8.2 minutes of flight time even with the extra weight. It's not a huge difference but it can come in handy. I also like the way that the Mavic flys with the extra weight, it feels more stable. The mod I constructed above weighs around 176 grams in total. After about 2 hours of testing I have experienced no problems. I did a lot of research before testing this in the field and found that the extra power on the Mavics battery cells shouldn't affect it. My guess on how this works is that the LiPo batteries charge the Mavics smart battery while it is flying, as the remote doesn't read any extra mAh or volts, another reason I have for this theory is that the LiPo's can be used for three flights before they should be charged again. I am happy to answer any questions.

Hi,

You must not do this, your sending 12volts inside the dji mavic battery from the extra battery.
Use diodes to block the power to go inside the dji mavic battery, two diodes.

There is other ways that can make you flight more than 40 minutes !
But i need help to test this out !

e48d86d814ca80b323d330274a574575.jpg

This is how I connected it.
I think you are right that it creates one big battery. I just did another test where I only had the LiPo batteries on and the mavics battery off this turned the drone on but the mavics battery did not show any signs of charging. The reason why I thought it charged the mavics battery was because I thought that the battery was charging when only the LiPo's were on, I saw wrong, my apologies. Another thing to note is that as expected the mavic will not connect to the controller unless the smart battery is turned on so when that is low the drone must land. This is probably the reason why the LiPo's can last three flights, due to the fact that the smart battery dies first.

You must do this in another way, if you do in another way you will have the mavic original battery working for a long period and the lippos rolling !! Please contact me ! I need a team to test my ideas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom