DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

So what is the right antenna used for? All the antenna makers are connecting and amplifying the right antenna. Why do they do this?
I honestly suspect that until we figured this out, nobody knew any better and assumed both were needed. Maybe leftover practices from the phantom mod's. I don't have a phantom and can't speak on how the radios work as compared to the mavic.

EDIT: don't trust me, go unplug your right RC port and go fly. I bet you a dollar you will never notice a difference.

You must do this in another way, if you do in another way you will have the mavic original battery working for a long period and the lippos rolling !! Please contact me ! I need a team to test my ideas.
Do you realize you responded to a post over a year old?

I like your idea, but you might want to get caught up on all thats happened over the last year in this thread.

And this thread is on your topic:

Mavic Pro Factory Battery Controller Mod

Hi Beanbubba, let me see if I am getting this correct since I fly my Mavic with amps in both sides of my RC with circular antennas, I can take off the right side amp and performance will be about the same? Is that correct? Thanks!

Hi once more Beanbubba, my jaw dropped when I got your reply. I believe what you say 100% I just haven't been able to try it since I have not had flying conditions.
If the man that is in it's 9th Mavic from testing the hobby to its limits says it works I am with you!
Anyhow I know it seems clear just wanted to make sure and is not the other right, the amp marked is going out, correct?

Attachments

• 20180519_182820.jpg
    20180519_182820.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 133
Hi once more Beanbubba, my jaw dropped when I got your reply. I believe what you say 100% I just haven't been able to try it since I have not had flying conditions.
If the man that is in it's 9th Mavic from testing the hobby to its limits says it works I am with you!
Anyhow I know it seems clear just wanted to make sure and is not the other right, the amp marked is going out, correct?

Yes, with the RC in your hands it is the port aligned with your right hand.

I honestly suspect that until we figured this out, nobody knew any better and assumed both were needed. Maybe leftover practices from the phantom mod's. I don't have a phantom and can't speak on how the radios work as compared to the mavic.

EDIT: don't trust me, go unplug your right RC port and go fly. I bet you a dollar you will never notice a difference.

Well beanbubba, I am glad that quite by chance I heard you say this. All the long-distance flyers that I know are still building R/L antenna arrays using 2 large panels. I suppose they have spent most of their lives with Phantom drones or larger. I am still gobsmacked by your information. It really is so important that it should be broadcast as widely as possible in the Mavic community. It alters completely the philosophy of mavic antenna design.

Can you also confirm whether or not the bird uses only one or both of its onboard antennas, and if so is it the right or left (looking forward)?

Many thanks for your advice. This is amazing . . I should pay more attention to the MP community.

Well beanbubba, I am glad that quite by chance I heard you say this. All the long-distance flyers that I know are still building R/L antenna arrays using 2 large panels. I suppose they have spent most of their lives with Phantom drones or larger. I am still gobsmacked by your information. It really is so important that it should be broadcast as widely as possible in the Mavic community. It alters completely the philosophy of mavic antenna design.

Can you also confirm whether or not the bird uses only one or both of its onboard antennas, and if so is it the right or left (looking forward)?

Many thanks for your advice. This is amazing . . I should pay more attention to the MP community.

Imagine you are a tiny pilot on the mavic. The TX/RX-combo antenna/port on the bird would be to your left or port side. The RX-only antenna/port will be to your right or starboard side.

The bird behaves identically to the RC with regards to the left/right functionality.

I have completed hundreds of hours of radio testing most of which can be referenced here:

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

I also made number 6 on the long range leaderboard using only the left RC port:

Official Mavic Range Leaderboard

I've also used a single AC and RC antenna to go out 18km with excellent results. Saves a few grams on the AC as well.

Imagine you are a tiny pilot on the mavic. The TX/RX-combo antenna/port on the bird would be to your left or port side. The RX-only antenna/port will be to your right or starboard side.

The bird behaves identically to the RC with regards to the left/right functionality.

I have completed hundreds of hours of radio testing most of which can be referenced here:

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

I also made number 6 on the long range leaderboard using only the left RC port:

Official Mavic Range Leaderboard

Thanks beanbubba - it looks like you have gone into this in some detail and done a good job - I wish I had known about it earlier. I use Itelite and Martian antennas with Sunhans amps. You could be saving me money in the future on unnecessary amps and panels, so many thanks for that. And now I can save a bit of weight on the RC rig by amplifying only the LH port. I'm guessing it's not that important to use the RH port even at short range - I'll need to study your Primer.

Thanks beanbubba - it looks like you have gone into this in some detail and done a good job - I wish I had known about it earlier. I use Itelite and Martian antennas with Sunhans amps. You could be saving me money in the future on unnecessary amps and panels, so many thanks for that. And now I can save a bit of weight on the RC rig by amplifying only the LH port. I'm guessing it's not that important to use the RH port even at short range - I'll need to study your Primer.

The truth shall set you free :)

I do not believe i fried one of the ICs or damaged when ay took it apart. What i believe is that dji put some sort of protection. the board has 24/7 power to the ICs if you disconnect the power it goes in som safe mode and it wont send power to the output pins the function for on or off works the led indicators for battery level works there is voltage on the rx and tx pins.

I made three times, with three different battery control boards the same experience. First I took apart one battery control board and I soldered the wires to connect two batteries in parallel together but after I’ve done the board doesn’t send voltage to the mavic connector. Then I tried one more times with one different new battery mother board to solder a new original mavic battery without remove the power. Nothing the battery mother board doesn’t send voltage to the mavic connector as same as before. Last time I tried just to solder two wires on another new battery mother board and I tested again on the mavic before connect a new original battery, the battery mother board has stopped to send voltage to the mavic connector again. I don’t understand what’s wrong, maybe the fw was corrupted by the resistance of my hands? Maybe the warm of the solderer?

Attachments

• 22DCC5CD-064C-41ED-8027-2D1414934141.jpeg
    22DCC5CD-064C-41ED-8027-2D1414934141.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 140
  • 4096F374-E0E0-457B-9041-FE86DCCB2D81.jpeg
    4096F374-E0E0-457B-9041-FE86DCCB2D81.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 134
I made three times, with three different battery control boards the same experience. First I took apart one battery control board and I soldered the wires to connect two batteries in parallel together but after I’ve done the board doesn’t send voltage to the mavic connector. Then I tried one more times with one different new battery mother board to solder a new original mavic battery without remove the power. Nothing the battery mother board doesn’t send voltage to the mavic connector as same as before. Last time I tried just to solder two wires on another new battery mother board and I tested again on the mavic before connect a new original battery, the battery mother board has stopped to send voltage to the mavic connector again. I don’t understand what’s wrong, maybe the fw was corrupted by the resistance of my hands? Maybe the warm of the solderer?

I bricked one just taking the case off. We have a whole other thread for this topic:

I plan to replace the dji battery with 6 unit 3s2p 21700 samsung 4800mah, using the dji battery mother board. Is there somebody that could say me what happens when the voltage drop below 3,3V (because the 21700 can reach 2,8V but I don’t know the behavior of the dji mother boardbelow 3,3V).
Second question:how long time I should expect to hover, and how far I should expect to fly?

Reactions: josephkh

Had a break through using the off-brand mavic battery. It doesn't brick at all like the factory controller.

They are readily available on amazon and eBay.

upload_2018-6-4_10-55-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_10-55-2.png
    upload_2018-6-4_10-55-2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 118
Had a break through using the off-brand mavic battery. It doesn't brick at all like the factory controller.

They are readily available on amazon and eBay.

View attachment 39399
This is good news! When you reconnect can start with the button as normal, and do all the voltage and mAh readings come back in the app?

I have just taken apart a Batmax copy from AliExpress, but not tested it yet . . It has a mysterious daughter board attached, which looks a bit like a sensor of some sort.

Attachments

• 'sensor'-&-connector.jpg
    'sensor'-&-connector.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 108
I have a question always heard use the 3S batteries for the mavic can i use the 4s without changing anything

Last edited:
I'm amazed that the right antenna port is just for show!!
Yes . . many of us are amazed. It doesn't seem to be very widely known. Anyway, all thanks to beanbubba who did a lot of testing some time back, and demonstrated this. I've now checked it myself at 3 Km range and 1 antenna seems just fine. I'd be interested to hear what Dji have to say about this. All the major antenna makers seem to be blissfully unaware and are still using twin antenna systems! Seems like a market opportunity for someone . .

Yes . . many of us are amazed. It doesn't seem to be very widely known. Anyway, all thanks to beanbubba who did a lot of testing some time back, and demonstrated this. I've now checked it myself at 3 Km range and 1 antenna seems just fine. I'd be interested to hear what Dji have to say about this. All the major antenna makers seem to be blissfully unaware and are still using twin antenna systems! Seems like a market opportunity for someone . .
I fly mavics and phantoms with the right antenna folded down and place a wide windsurfer on the left antenna.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851