DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
@djimavicprosucks Treat it as an expensive lesson like I did when I flew it up at high winds and didn't have enough battery to return home. Best thing to do is educate yourself on how everything works from battery, wind speed, temperatures and try it again. These machines are great, but not perfect!

If DJI had been a more responsible company, they’d be submitting your flight logs to the authorities for breaking the law....
I am pretty sure DJI has been turning a blind eye on all the refresh claims with flight logs of pilots not following rules and crashing their drones.
OP needs to give it up. No one cares or want to push their beloved Mavic to its limits to see it’ll return safely at 0% battery. There is no real benefit to it, with high risk of a loss.
Most of us accept the programming behind the RTH and smart RTH function. It’s to protect the drone, especially from irresponsible pilots. What the OP is complaining about is not a bug in the software, it’s a feature. A good one I think.
Last week, a friend had to fly from Brisbane to Roma (~500km). Bad weather, and after attempting to land twice, returned to Brisbane. I am pretty sure every passenger on that plane was glad the tanks weren’t filled just to reach Roma with 10% left.

I'm pretty sure everyone has broken the law by flying out of the sight (at least most of the countries I know). Don't tell me you can still see your aircraft after 300 meters unless u are flying across a farm. The reason I flew high was because the video distortion and I thought it was interference. It seems to be ok for the video after flying that high. I was making sure it was very safe as the place that I flew was very remote and no sight of plane or helicopter coming for long. Still, DJI's fault for not letting me to cancel landing.

'Video distortion' is not a reason to fly that high and endanger civilian or military aircraft. You were in illegal airspace. You did not understand your aircraft, and are still making stupid excuses for your needless loss of your Mavic. Early in this thread I felt sorry for you but now I think you got exactly what you deserved. Please don't buy another Mavic. You'll make some other dumb mistake because of your insistence on 'being right', which you clearly are not. Maybe with a new Mavic you'll kill someone instead of just losing your investment. With a lot of experienced pilots here, offering good advice, you entered into a battle of wits unarmed. Suggest you take up a safer, and not so taxing hobby. Collecting stamps perhaps. Go away and learn about how to use a Mavic, so you understand what happened. Better still... just go away.

Reactions: paulmike3
Let's see if I can summarize what everyone has tried to tell you.

Do you have a screenshot of the UAV Forecast app showing the wind speed at 339m above ground level at the time you were flying to prove that there was "no wind?" Just because you didn't feel wind on the ground, doesn't mean anything about what was happening at 339m above you. I was flying yesterday, and the wind was 9 MPH at ground level with 41 MPH gusts at 1500 feet...wow, big difference, huh? Have you ever even looked at the UAV Forecast app? You have thrown around all of these numbers to support your assertion that you didn't screw up, but you are ignoring several vital variables:

1. What was the wind speed at that altitude?
2. What was the wind direction at that altitude?
3. What was the air temperature at that altitude?
4. And, really, this is the most important variable: you didn't factor in how the Mavic is PROGRAMMED to fly. The manual will tell you all day what to expect at different battery levels. It doesn't matter what YOU think it can handle when the Mavic is programmed to make decisions that are different than your estimates. And your estimates appear to be based on two variables (time and distance), while the Mavic makes decisions based on time, distance, battery temperature, wind speed, wind direction, motor exertion, and many other factors...including, and see if you can understand this, a simple safety margin.

So, at the end of the day, your calculations are useless because they ignore vital variables. You could have flown 50 feet off the ground from 100 feet away with no wind all day long and run the battery way down. But with a strong headwind on the return trip from 674 meters away, the calculation becomes completely different. And if the battery is cold, the calculation changes even more. And we both know your calculations were performed after you got home, so it's not like you were making these assessments while you were flying. You're just trying to justify your poor decisions after the fact.

And even if your calculations did include all of the variables that you obviously ignore, it doesn't change the fact that the Mavic is programmed with a safety margin and DJI fully discloses how the Mavic will react at certain battery levels. And you either chose to ignore what you read in the manual, or you never read the manual.

Well, this is what you get. Fly illegally, don't read or understand the manual, don't check the forecast at the altitude you're flying, ignore the warnings, override the safety programming, panic, and then get surprised when it crashes.

Yeah, it was your fault.

But that doesn't mean you're an idiot...we've all made mistakes with flying our Mavics...it doesn't make you an idiot to make a mistake.

But it will make you an idiot if you don't learn from it.

I checked the history and that was about the wind that day, max 3-4 mph. I feel ok if I didn't learn well but I feel bad if I don't fight something that I think it is right. As I said earlier this post, not only myself oppose the failed to cancel force landing function, many people have crashed because of this function/firmware and I strive to make it change. If you don't like it, DJI can just write a single firmware for me.
upload_2018-3-5_15-50-58.png

W
Wind is often a big factor, but wasn't in this case: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

This was simply very poor decisions on the part of the pilot who did not (and still doesn't, apparently) have any idea how smart RTH/autolanding works.

Wow, thanks for getting this data! That's the reason why i always believe my AC can make it back safely with extra battery not due to the stupid firmware to force land and crash my AC

Yeah, I just don't see any evidence that he even knows that wind COULD be different at different altitudes. Or that he knows the wind could affect anything.

I know the wind effect ok. I've got an experience of my AC fly away due to the strong wind and I never fly in strong wind again. I learned from experience, not theory.

I checked the history and that was about the wind that day, max 3-4 mph. I feel ok if I didn't learn well but I feel bad if I don't fight something that I think it is right. As I said earlier this post, not only myself oppose the failed to cancel force landing function, many people have crashed because of this function/firmware and I strive to make it change. If you don't like it, DJI can just write a single firmware for me.
View attachment 32779
Those are surface wind calculations! Dumb! Not convincing. When you are in a hole, stop digging.

'Video distortion' is not a reason to fly that high and endanger civilian or military aircraft. You were in illegal airspace. You did not understand your aircraft, and are still making stupid excuses for your needless loss of your Mavic. Early in this thread I felt sorry for you but now I think you got exactly what you deserved. Please don't buy another Mavic. You'll make some other dumb mistake because of your insistence on 'being right', which you clearly are not. Maybe with a new Mavic you'll kill someone instead of just losing your investment. With a lot of experienced pilots here, offering good advice, you entered into a battle of wits unarmed. Suggest you take up a safer, and not so taxing hobby. Collecting stamps perhaps. Go away and learn about how to use a Mavic, so you understand what happened. Better still... just go away.

I'm not going away. Please feed me more.

DJI's fault for not letting me to cancel landing.
Have you ever read the manual? On Page 14 you'll find something what you can do in case of Smart RTH and its landing process. The user can still interact, but he can NOT cancel the landing!

View attachment 32779
You just keep giving us more and more evidence.

Have you ever read the manual? On Page 14 you'll find something what you can do in case of Smart RTH and its landing process. The user can still interact, but he can NOT cancel the landing!

I never read and I don't trust it anymore. Someone already comment the Smart RTH is depending on condition. What's the point of telling people. Just write everything in manual "depends on condition". So no matter how user crash it, you cannot claim it.

I'm pretty sure everyone has broken the law by flying out of the sight (at least most of the countries I know). Don't tell me you can still see your aircraft after 300 meters unless u are flying across a farm. The reason I flew high was because the video distortion and I thought it was interference. It seems to be ok for the video after flying that high. I was making sure it was very safe as the place that I flew was very remote and no sight of plane or helicopter coming for long. Still, DJI's fault for not letting me to cancel landing.
I never said I've not broken any law, like flying BVLOS :rolleyes:. I am sure plenty of people do.
I definitely disagree that DJI should let you cancel forced landing. They were conservative in their estimate. To make sure the Mavic has a controlled landing, and still have some power left. It's better than letting the battery go flat midair and kill someone. You assume battery capacity is a linear relationship, when it's not. You are living in denial mate. You want DJI to do the 'right thing', but you don't, which makes you hypocritical.
You flew too high, the software worked out it need to start landing at 20%, so it did. If it let a pilot cancel, what's to stop a pilot from continuing to fly (since he's making assumptions that he still has time), until is falls and hit someone or something.
Your lack of consideration towards other people is astounding.

Reactions: paulmike3
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom