DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am responding to post 53 of approximately 130 post on this thread, it may be covered in another response.

An average is composed of high numbers and low numbers. You needed for the power consumption to be average or below average. You rolled the dice and lost.

I am a newbie but my age has given me a lot of exposure to averages in a LOT of hobbies and jobs. Some have been to error is to loose your life (Navy Submarines, scuba diving, sky diving and car/motorcycle road racing. Others to error is not life threatening, just loss of something that can be replaced. In the Navy it was train and drill, repeat, repeat, repeat until rote takes over.

With everything it is training, training training. With any luck, when something goes wrong that you haven't trained for you can recover. Your luck ran out.

Larry

I didn't lose, it wasn't me, I was replying to the guy that said he should have made it because his math averaged it out...

I get what you are saying but would you pay attention to your equipment or try to do some crazy math in your head? As a forward observer I didn't have the luxury of averages, I had to rely on my equipment. Without going into too much detail if I were to paint a target and my equipment shows something is wrong you better bet that I am trusting my equipment and not taking a chance. The same goes for a MP, if my equipment tells me it needs to come home, you better bet she is coming home.

There are things where you can use an average.. Flying my MP is not one of them. If I have tail wind going out to a location, you better bet I a not going to run it down to 20 percent because on average it makes it back. I know that if there is a tailwind going out that there will be head wind coming in so I know that if I use 10 percent it will use a heck of a lot more to get back to me. Simply put to be 1000 feet in the air and 900 feet away is insane to think it will get back to me with 20 percent battery left.

If my equipment tells me that the Mavic is running low on battery, I bring it in. I don't roll the dice and hope baby jesus gets my mavic back to me to me that kind of logic is flawed.

Reactions: Tornado1
I didn't lose, it wasn't me, I was replying to the guy that said he should have made it because his math averaged it out...

My most sincere apologies, I was NOT referring to you but it was my intention to agree with you 100%. I was intending to come at it with another direction.

Larry

OP sounds like a guy that wanted to push the limits to edge to see how far he can go. Well now he knows I have my alarm set at 30%. If the AC tells me it needs to come home I can't think of any reason to abort and risk it unless I didn't think it would make and saw a safe place to land.

OP sounds like a guy that wanted to push the limits to edge to see how far he can go. Well now he knows I have my alarm set at 30%. If the AC tells me it needs to come home I can't think of any reason to abort and risk it unless I didn't think it would make and saw a safe place to land.

Plus one on this. Mine is set to 30 percent as well. I never want to be that guy running around the desert for days looking for my baby and I never want to have to use my state farm. I did this too many times with the Bebop 2. I want to go fly and fly without worrying about the simple stuff that can be avoided by bringing it in and changing the battery.

Umm I’m relatively new at this got Mavic Pro couple months ago and refused to fly a $1000 drone with out a backup gps tracker which only added 2 ounces. looking at your screen shots of flight record you were well above where you should be and probably pushed the Mavic to and past it’s limits I have yet to go higher than 100 feet due to I can’t see it!

TLDR.. All I know is we need more rpeople like @jaysrmc in the community to help explain what happens to their lost birds. I lost mine last year and it was purely my fault. It's one thing to own up to own mistakes and getting information from an awesome community for educated information opposed to blaming it on the company that made these products that we love and enjoy.

Does the log show actually how many times he attempted to cancel rth? At first he said 100 times, then 20-30. I have a feeling that in his panic, he it was asking if he wanted to cancel, and he only saw the word "cancel" and clicked it, effectively canceling the cancel.

I did this once and laughed at myself, but it is an unfortunate wording issue in the UI. If you're "cancelling a cancel" the option should probably be yes or no. Just so do peopdon't click cancel, hoping to cancel rth.
I mean to cancel the force landing but not RTH. At least 20 times I would say but the record only show two. It seems they purposely delete or not record my actions?

Well, even if the OP seems to not want to learn from this, others have, including me. I have only ever got my drone below 20%, and that was to test things out, and it worked perfectly. AND it was pretty much right above me at 50', maybe 30' away. I have gotten close to the 20% before but was already on the way home. From now on I plan to be on the ground at 20%.

OP, there's lots of great advice and insight in this thread, you should really take the opportunity to learn from it instead of arguing against it.

Thank you however for your actions that prompted this thread, some of us have learned a lot from it.

Glad you've learned something from this post and also my stubbornness.

According to the log there were just two failed attempts to cancel autolanding after the autolanding announcement at 915 s, made at 1014.0 s and 1015.7 s.

That's something weird. I've clicked about 10-20 times hoping to cancel the force landing.

Hate to say it, but just as he wished us ill “hope you taste what I did” (or whatever he said,) I hope he NEVER finds his drone and can’t afford to buy another. It would be best for all.

Unfortunately I am looking to buy it soon. Don't fly near me or you will get in trouble.

So tell me how many times have you run out of gas? I never have and I'm now 67 times around the sun and drive about 20,000 miles a year, sometimes much more. I am always in the process of returning to home when the battery hits 30% so I have lots left for landing, even in bad conditions. In my country, in the wintertime, I fill my gas tank most times when the gas gage hits 1/2. Never let it get below 25%. On my MP, I will bring it home and let it hover until <10% to allow recalibration of batteries. Flying with less is asking for trouble and forces you into a situation where you may have to make "panic" decisions, which most people don't do well. Lessons are to be learned for sure but keep moving forward.

I've never run out of gas for my car. I'm always a well prepared person. As I mentioned many time, I flew so many times with 12-15% that's why I never aware this time it will force land at 20%. I was planning to bring it home at 20% though and didn't know it was going to force landing my MP and cause it to crash. DJI fault for sure.

I never want to push the limit. As I said I have been flying 12-15% and it was very safe and obedient that's why this time was completely out of my expectation. I am not a risk taker to be honest. If I saw the firmware fail causing force landing post earlier, I would always land my AC at 50%.

Umm I’m relatively new at this got Mavic Pro couple months ago and refused to fly a $1000 drone with out a backup gps tracker which only added 2 ounces. looking at your screen shots of flight record you were well above where you should be and probably pushed the Mavic to and past it’s limits I have yet to go higher than 100 feet due to I can’t see it!

If you only want to fly 100 feets then better don't buy it. Waste your money. Just watch youtube is enough for you

The batteries are not cheap. 20% should be 20%, 0% should be 0%. I trust that 0% can still fly because it has some safety mechanism. But if you tell me 20% and I cannot fly anymore, that's rubbish. Something I forgot to mention, I was using mavic pro platinum propeller, that should give me even longer fly time too!!!

It seems to me you need to educate yourself on Lipo batteries and how they discharge. It’s not a simple linear graph for discharge rate.
It also amuses me that you talk about DJI showing responsibility when you obviously fly irresponsibly. I comment much more but tend to think I may be wasting time. Or that you may be just trolling for comments

It's amazing of how many people read this post and reply to this post. Thanks for educating others but sorry I'm not buying it still. Still I think it's DJI firmware problem of forcing my AC to land. Since all of you try to oppose me, why not try to fly once and prove me too?

Find a big wide space (farm, field) to prevent failture, fly at 339 m (1112.2 feet) height and 674 m (2211.3 feet) distance, leave the battery to 21% and press return home. When it land just tell me how many percent battery left. If it only left 1% I will try you. No cheating, fly at normal or no wind. That day I have no wind and the temperature was 24-26 degree.

Please don't scold me for requesting this. If you don't want to do this don't have to say anything. If you can do for me, post it on youtube. Many thanks.

It seems to me you need to educate yourself on Lipo batteries and how they discharge. It’s not a simple linear graph for discharge rate.
It also amuses me that you talk about DJI showing responsibility when you obviously fly irresponsibly. I comment much more but tend to think I may be wasting time. Or that you may be just trolling for comments
Yes feel free to not comment. I don't have any benefit of getting more comments. Just to makeeveryone awares how it performs and don't trust your DJI too much. Ultimately, I hope DJI will give me a new aircraft.

Last edited:
Enough ignorant speculation. Low battery and critical low battery were set to default (20% and 10%) but they did not control this event because smart RTH was enabled. The sequence is shown in the figure below:

View attachment 32557

At 760 s the battery % fell to the calculated smart power RTH value (32% at that distance and altitude) and the FC initiated RTH. 11 seconds later you decided to ignore that and cancelled RTH. At 915 seconds the battery % fell to the calculated smart power autoland value (20% at that altitude) and the FC initiated autoland. That's there to prevent your aircraft from falling out of the sky due to your incompetent piloting, so quit whining about it.

After this comprehensive (if that's the word) explanation, and responses by the OP afterwards .... I suggest this thread be closed!

:D

Reactions: Lil' DronePilot
Not
After this comprehensive (if that's the word) explanation, and responses by the OP afterwards .... I suggest this thread be closed!

:D
Not until you fulfill my request and convince me

Find a big wide space (farm, field) to prevent failture, fly at 339 m (1112.2 feet) height and 674 m (2211.3 feet) distance, leave the battery to 21% and press return home. When it land just tell me how many percent battery left. If it only left 1% I will trust you. No cheating, fly at normal or no wind. That day I have no wind and the temperature was 24-26 degree.

I don’t think we need to convince you of anything. DJI will not replace your drone because you screwed up. You loose. End of story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot