DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

I see what your saying but I ran the p3 for a while doubling the weight with batteries without any issues. Maybe if i didn't have the p3 motors already sitting around and you mentioned this i may have gone with the p4 motors. I think the next weak spot is where the 3 - 2.5mm bolts mount the original motors. Very thin plastic here. This mod may be short lived.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I see what your saying but I ran the p3 for a while doubling the weight with batteries without any issues. Maybe if i didn't have the p3 motors already sitting around and you mentioned this i may have gone with the p4 motors. I think the next weak spot is where the 3 - 2.5mm bolts mount the original motors. Very thin plastic here. This mod may be short lived.
How about cutting the arm up and grafting on a standard motor mount which will give a whole range of size and kV choices.

Reactions: chazz
Nice! This seems like such a great idea, I always wondered if just non-folding, 3 blade props would offer efficiency gains, but using the bigger motors seems like a no brained if it works. I wonder if using mixed firmware including the different esc firmware would offer further optimization. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mavic Pro 2 uses phantom class motors

Reactions: chazz
2 blade props will give the best efficiency.

@chazz did the mavic fly at 2kg, or mount break before liftoff?

2 blade props will give the best efficiency.

@chazz did the mavic fly at 2kg, or mount break before liftoff?

You really can't claim that without knowing every single factor. Using a rule-of-thumb statement doesn't work for such a complex system, especially when we are now talking about larger motors, different loads, and different voltages. There are far too many variables, and it really comes down to which one will be in the most efficient range with this extra load, and you cannot simply say that it's one or the other.

2-blade vs 3-blade and 4-blade propellers - Aerotrash

Interesting reading, and I would bolt on any prop configuration that would outperform my current 2 blade setup.

25i7rQA.jpg

Platinum with APC 1045 front and 8745 rear.

So while we’re tangentially on the topic - most every video or post comparing the low noise props to the standard props talks about noise and putting the low noise props on a standard mavic. I put the original mavic props on a platinum, and I’m not sure but I think I like how it handles better... seems to cut more sharply like it has more thrust...maybe I’m imagining it and just more used to the old props... what do you guys think? Are there any performance advantages to the OG props?

So while we’re tangentially on the topic - most every video or post comparing the low noise props to the standard props talks about noise and putting the low noise props on a standard mavic. I put the original mavic props on a platinum, and I’m not sure but I think I like how it handles better... seems to cut more sharply like it has more thrust...maybe I’m imagining it and just more used to the old props... what do you guys think? Are there any performance advantages to the OG props?
Pro props have less pitch and spin faster for equal thrust, but on 3s they're really limited by motor RPM.

If you like sport flying I highly recommend trying some non folding CF props.

I took this for a flight/hover today with 2 – 4s 4200’s and 1 – 4s 8000 mah battery charged to 4.40V per cell and plugged into the battery board. For the first 10 or 15 min of the flight I didn’t take it easy and flew fast and broke hard to see if it would hold up and it seemed too np. The airdata cut it into 2 flights because I had to land at maybe 6min into the flight to turn the battery board back on and take back off. I ran it down until the first cell hit 3V then landed and was able to get over 51min flight time…A lot of motor current errors came up but it didn’t seem to have any effect on how it was flying. Maybe for my next flight I try the Lion 4s battery that I got over 50 min with the regular Mavic motors. Idk.

Apr 20th, 2018 09:45AM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.1.3 on iOS | Total Mileage: 3,585 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

IMG_0193.PNG

Last edited:
@lolo780 if i wanted to get bigger props how would i attach them to the threaded p3 motors? is there an adapter? I'm thinking about 1145's

You could probably use a nut and centering ring with most props.

Thanks man I found some 1145's on amazon with the selflocking that look like they'll fit but i don't know how much further I'm taking this, its acting a little weird. The left front motor is making a noise like the propeller is hitting something but its not. It happens with the externals attached when its under load from braking at high speed and or when I'm going down fast and push up full speed. I'm putting this thing through tests...It actually flipped forward and landed hard on its front side ;)(small crash). I'm trying to figure out if i want to spend any more money on this thing...

Thanks man I found some 1145's on amazon with the selflocking that look like they'll fit but i don't know how much further I'm taking this, its acting a little weird. The left front motor is making a noise like the propeller is hitting something but its not. It happens with the externals attached when its under load from braking at high speed and or when I'm going down fast and push up full speed. I'm putting this thing through tests...It actually flipped forward and landed hard on its front side ;)(small crash). I'm trying to figure out if i want to spend any more money on this thing...
Any useful info from the .dat file? Motor PWM percentages and rpms.

How is the current scaled in this chart? does this chart show the left front motor hit 9.8 amps? If that's what it means i don't think its that high. That seems to be my problem motor or at least as far as i can tell watching it fly. I got another motor to try.Capture.PNG

How is the current scaled in this chart? does this chart show the left front motor hit 9.8 amps? If that's what it means i don't think its that high. That seems to be my problem motor or at least as far as i can tell watching it fly. I got another motor to try.View attachment 36635
Looks like 9.8A. Do the motor RPMs make sense? Left front showing steady rotation with no spikes up or down?

Well, I was really beating the crap out of the thing. Down to up full throttle trying to see where the noise was coming from...It weighs over 2000 grams.Capture2.PNG

Well, I was really beating the crap out of the thing. Down to up full throttle trying to see where the noise was coming from...It weighs over 2000 grams.View attachment 36637
How many grams per watt to hover? That'll give you a rough idea of efficiency. A stock Platinum is around 9.2g/w, and with larger props can get around 10 as I recall. With heavy battery loads this will go down to 8 or less.

I'd say if you can hover 2kg around 250W the swap shows promise.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv