DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo780
OK, I am done with hover tests (bored actually). Had a couple pints and strapped on dual MS5200/4s2p/4.4v/LiHv's and went for a joy ride. I hovered for a couple minutes, the went non stop full throttle for 10 minutes doing big ovals over my home point. All the data markers improved over the hover.

Jun 12, 2018 11:29PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.2.14 on iOS | Total Mileage: 11,225 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

And the big shock to me was immediately after landing, the motors were cool to the touch... not even warm. Same with the bottom plate.

Take note that hover tests (especially in wind) are the most taxing test on a mavic above all others that I have witnessed.

dronemods-2018-326.png dronemods-2018-325.png dronemods-2018-324.png dronemods-2018-323.png dronemods-2018-322.png dronemods-2018-321.png dronemods-2018-320.png

Looking good. Check watt seconds per meter and pick up the speed until you see the lowest numbers.

Hover testing a full pack will tell you the total useable watt seconds and from that you can predict distance.

Reactions: BudWalker
@BudWalker, your FileZilla cleanup procedure works. It appears you have to do this every half dozen flights or there abouts.

@BudWalker, your FileZilla cleanup procedure works. It appears you have to do this every half dozen flights or there abouts.
That's great. You may have to do it more often because of the longer than normal flights.

I took all my remaining good batteries and made this beast.

5200LiHv/4s2p
5200LiHv/4s2p
4000LiHv/4s2p
2000LiHv/4s1p
--------------
16400mAh

Jun 13, 2018 11:31AM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.2.14 on iOS | Total Mileage: 5,386 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

I was doing full throttle ovals around my home point and I decided to land early when the gimble was behaving erratically. Just thought I should land and take readings.

There was a glitch and gap in logs about a minute in. Right about the same time airdata reported "getwave" errors. I have never see that before.

But good news was that the motors were barley warm to the touch at landing. But at this weight, she handles like an oil tanker... big time.

I noticed from last nights flight @ 1650 grams, she handled almost as good as a stock mavic. Very zippy.

dronemods-2018-330.png
dronemods-2018-332.png dronemods-2018-331.png

dronemods-2018-340.png dronemods-2018-339.png dronemods-2018-338.png dronemods-2018-337.png dronemods-2018-336.png dronemods-2018-335.png

dronemods-2018-334.png

Last edited:
What is the weight of each pack? 4 x TP4500 4s should be under 1300g without the wrappers for 18Ah.

What is the weight of each pack? 4 x TP4500 4s should be under 1300g without the wrappers for 18Ah.

Using what I have on hand (I posted the weights a couple pages ago). I have those horribly expensive thunderpower 4500LiHv's on order.

FLY5542.DAT

If I was going to continue yes it probably needs cooling but unfortunately, I think I'm done with this mod. When I took off for this flight and it was under load I heard the dreaded vibrating noise that took me down more than once before. I don’t believe heat is causing my issue because It was at takeoff, I believe it’s some kind of current limiting or some other limiting factor. It could even be my esc is toast idk...I started this mod to see how much battery I can carry to get as much usable flight time as I could. If I just wanted to go up slow and make no fast movements and get a long hover time this is ok but for normal fast forward flight with a lot of mah hanging this isn't working for me...

@beanbubba if you continue with this mod good luck man! I hope you get it working! But if you quit, believe me I understand…

@chazz, I will bet you a dollar that your esc board is fried. Don't give up man!!!

I hooked up with @Thunderdrones and he sold me three bare mavics (no RC, battery, props, or charger) for $375/each. I bet he could sell you a replacement board too and get you flying again.

I unfortunately am grounded for a few weeks while moving to a new home. I did receive all my parts from china finally to help esc heat dissipation and those expensive thunder power batteries that @lolo780 raves about.

I am itching to get flying again, but all my stuff is in a moving container :(

@beanbubba @chazz and everyone else that tinkers and pushes the limit. Thank you. I’ve scoured through so many posts, topics reading the ups, downs, successes and failures and really have enjoyed seeing the progress you’ve made. In no attempt to hijack the thread but having the battery experts in one place makes this an easy place to ask your thoughts on my idea.

First, I have a Mavic AIR. The red headed step child of the DJI family, I love this little bastard however and wouldn’t trade it for any other model. I am however envious of flight times and I love mod.

Currently for the RC I have a 2.4ghz Titan Cyclone, and I also have a 2nd 5.8ghz Cyclone. The AC itself has been modded removing the original antenna in favor of high gain 5.8ghz mushrooms.
51A1CBAC-241F-4649-87BF-F6932544644D.jpeg C89A3D38-0A5C-466B-858C-9EE1FE16BE2C.jpeg
I can reach 10-12k ft on 5.8ghz with reasonable ease before the drone freaks out about RTH due to battery life remaining and here is my question and request for input.

I have 8 DJI batteries total for my AIR through some luck and seeing your progress I had an idea. I’d like to take 2 or 3, and condense into 1. IE take one apart and it becomes “master battery” then take the cells from the other 2 and attach them to the master. I’m confident that I could print a nice design to hold the cells on the sides of the drone but I’m more worried about connecting the batteries together. Another thought is that I have an extra 5.8ghz booster on have and it’d be awesome to put that on the AC as well. If I could and everything could work as I envision I’d have a 1 battery’s cells on each side and place the booster under the back wing, making a riser for the spoiler of sorts.

Opinions? Thoughts? At a high level can I even combine the batteries cells together?

Thanks again!
Will

Last edited:
@beanbubba @chazz and everyone else that tinkers and pushes the limit. Thank you. I’ve scoured through so many posts, topics reading the ups, downs, successes and failures and really have enjoyed seeing the progress you’ve made. In no attempt to hijack the thread but having the battery experts in one place makes this an easy place to ask your thoughts on my idea.

First, I have a Mavic AIR. The red headed step child of the DJI family, I love this little bastard however and wouldn’t trade it for any other model. I am however envious of flight times and I love mod.

Currently for the RC I have a 2.4ghz Titan Cyclone, and I also have a 2nd 5.8ghz Cyclone. The AC itself has been modded removing the original antenna in favor of high gain 5.8ghz mushrooms.
View attachment 43043 View attachment 43042
I can reach 10-12k ft on 5.8ghz with reasonable ease before the drone freaks out about RTH due to battery life remaining and here is my question and request for input.

I have 8 DJI batteries total for my AIR through some luck and seeing your progress I had an idea. I’d like to take 2 or 3, and condense into 1. IE take one apart and it becomes “master battery” then take the cells from the other 2 and attach them to the master. I’m confident that I could print a nice design to hold the cells on the sides of the drone but I’m more worried about connecting the batteries together. Another thought is that I have an extra 5.8ghz booster on have and it’d be awesome to put that on the AC as well. If I could and everything could work as I envision I’d have a 1 battery’s cells on each side and place the booster under the back wing, making a riser for the spoiler of sorts.

Opinions? Thoughts? At a high level can I even combine the batteries cells together?

Thanks again!
Will
Can those mushroom antennas be uncased? They must catch downwash from the front props as well as creating drag in forward flight.

View attachment 43043 View attachment 43042

Thanks again!
Will

I have many thoughts an ideas on how to address dual band radio and antenna systems. But until I can open one up and made some informed observations it's too soon to make any recommendations. I dig your setup and I have been wanting to experiment with some cloverleaf antennas myself. As Lolo pointed out, you could remove the antenna casing and maybe get a little more aero efficiencies (but it looks cool the way you have it). Keep us posted and I will do the same when I get my units on the bench.

Also, if I were you I would experiment trying to make your battery controller a standalone device. But note their is a fair chance you will brick it while trying.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Can those mushroom antennas be uncased? They must catch downwash from the front props as well as creating drag in forward flight.
They could, but I ended up breaking one and I’ve got the AXII stubby and VAS iON to test. Both significantly smaller

“Also, if I were you I would experiment trying to make your battery controller a standalone device. But note their is a fair chance you will brick it while trying.”

What do you mean by this piece?

I’ve solved for the amp and have 3D printed a “spoiler” of sorts to encase the 4W 5.8ghz amp I have. I removed the SMA connections and soldered the wires/u.fl connectors directly and have cnc’d a heatsink that looks much like the original spoiler. Will be testing this weekend to test signal etc before I finalize the design.

I havnt finalizes power as I was hoping to hear back from you guys in regards to combining batteries and your guidance in the battery mod arena. Thoughts? Is it better to hardware xt60s and put small 3/4s batteries on each side or would it be best to pull apart 2 stock batteries and attach them to a “main” one?

@beanbubba my initial testing/setup.
I took a RexUAV 4W 5.8ghz amp and decased it removing the original sma connectors. My plan was to solder ufl pads to it, but we ended up simply direct soldering the wires for ease.

The Mavic AIR is NOT marked and I have no clue which mmcx port is which. (Transmit/receive) so here goes blind testing.

I’ve put the previously mentioned axis stubbies on the front arms with 45° sma connectors so they are level during flight.

1 Antenna runs simply directly to its original location, looking for this to be receive as reading through all the posts and threads I should really only be looking to amp transmit but again, no clue how to know.

The 2nd antenna runs to the back of the AIR where I’ve 3D printed a “spoiler” of sorts to hold the amp. This antenna is soldered directly to the amp, another cable soldered from amp out to the open mmcx on the AIR.

I believe I have an issue with RF interference but really really looking for guidance here.

When testing, the drone could hover but even only being a few feet away and it off the ground (<5-7ft) I was getting video disconnects, very slow gps lock, signal disconnects etc. if I turned on my Titan RC antennas I would INSTANTLY disconnect.

Help!?!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032