DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

Lolo,

Are you an engineering savant, or do you have professional experience with this stuff? You are the smartest person on this forum with regards to specific engineering details (or at least the most talented that has demonstrated it). I think you have played coy long enough and can share your story.

Thank you Sir Lolo, you have advanced this forum more than anyone I have seen so far and it is appreciated!!

I will speak up for others on this site that won't express their gratitude :)
I just like building things. Sometimes they break.
[emoji15]

56min 44sec flight today...

Mavic w/P3 motors - 4s6p 20700mah lion battery

Jun 10th, 2018 07:20AM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.1.3 on iOS | Total Mileage: 2,118 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

This is my record time in the air hovering with anything I've ever tried with a Mavic or the Phantom 3.

A few issues during this flight were:

1 - The camera didn’t work for some reason only showing a blurry image,

2 - Barometer error maybe 20min into the flight,

3 - Drizzle turning into rain at about 40min,

4 - Sometime during the flight, it started to think it was a 6s battery because it was displaying 22V in the app

5 - The single cell voltage display froze…

I just flew it until it landed gently by itself soaking wet… :)

Reactions: lolo780

Jun 10th, 2018 07:20AM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.1.3 on iOS | Total Mileage: 2,118 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

This is my record time in the air hovering with anything I've ever tried with a Mavic or the Phantom 3.

4 - Sometime during the flight, it started to think it was a 6s battery because it was displaying 22V in the app

I bet the rain kept it cooled down enough not to overheat to failure. That barometer error means you are very close. It's your lucky day and you are the first person ever to fly that duration.

Congratulations!!!

What was your longest p3 flight?

Sounds like it's maintaining decent efficiency at that weight. Would be awesome to see a 1hr Mavic flight!

What do you think of splitting the fan output and mounting a 2nd fan directly on top of the ESC board?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Sounds like it's maintaining decent efficiency at that weight. Would be awesome to see a 1hr Mavic flight!

What do you think of splitting the fan output and mounting a 2nd fan directly on top of the ESC board?

I will give it one more shot. I could fashion a 2nd fan inside my battery housing and cutout the plastic directly above the ESC. Lemme work on the 3D printer for a fitting. If your heat dissipation theory is correct, this might have some long standing potential.

Chazz, what was your AUW on that last flight?

Maybe something like this?

upload_2018-6-10_11-21-3.png

I will give it one more shot. I could fashion a 2nd fan inside my battery housing and cutout the plastic directly above the ESC. Lemme work on the 3D printer for a fitting. If your heat dissipation theory is correct, this might have some long standing potential.

Chazz, what was your AUW on that last flight?

1987grams

I bet the rain kept it cooled down enough not to overheat to failure. That barometer error means you are very close. It's your lucky day and you are the first person ever to fly that duration.

Congratulations!!!

What was your longest p3 flight?

Thanks man! It was all or nothing for me. If it went down it went down.... just over 50min on the P3, I may try this battery on there to see what i get.

Thanks man! It was all or nothing for me. If it went down it went down.... just over 50min on the P3, I may try this battery on there to see what i get.

What would be your best guess of hover time I might get with the MS 2600 cells in a 4s4p configuration? That would keep me under 2 kilos.

What would be your best guess of hover time I might get with the MS 2600 cells in a 4s4p configuration? That would keep me under 2 kilos.

I got just over 51min with 4s lihv batteries and the mav weighing 2045 grams. So that should be fairly similar to what you should get.

FLY5542.DAT

If I was going to continue yes it probably needs cooling but unfortunately, I think I'm done with this mod. When I took off for this flight and it was under load I heard the dreaded vibrating noise that took me down more than once before. I don’t believe heat is causing my issue because It was at takeoff, I believe it’s some kind of current limiting or some other limiting factor. It could even be my esc is toast idk...I started this mod to see how much battery I can carry to get as much usable flight time as I could. If I just wanted to go up slow and make no fast movements and get a long hover time this is ok but for normal fast forward flight with a lot of mah hanging this isn't working for me...

@beanbubba if you continue with this mod good luck man! I hope you get it working! But if you quit, believe me I understand…

Reactions: BudWalker
That battery setup just set the p3 range record at 16.23 miles. I figure weight around 2150g.

OK, mod is done and tested, gonna epoxy it all together now. This is my last go around on the mod. Fingers crossed...

upload_2018-6-10_16-41-22.png

upload_2018-6-10_16-41-39.png

Hey Lolo,

I am not an airflow expert, but I play one on TV :)

Would you cut out the red box or the blue box? The blue box would be the exact opening of the fan exhaust. I see potential benefits for both but would like your feedback.

upload_2018-6-10_17-4-51.png

That battery setup just set the p3 range record at 16.23 miles. I figure weight around 2150g.

My P3 with modded cam, ms8000, ms6600 lihv external and stock battery weighs 2320grams. I think i may try my lion battery on that.

Hey Lolo,

I am not an airflow expert, but I play one on TV :)

Would you cut out the red box or the blue box? The blue box would be the exact opening of the fan exhaust. I see potential benefits for both but would like your feedback.

View attachment 39888
With a fan, I'd cut the blue. If you cut the red I'd probably just use passive cooling. Note your ambient air temps with each log to compare temperature difference.

Here's the final mod. Hopefully I can fly tomorrow (day job permitting)...

dronemods-2018-284.png dronemods-2018-283.png dronemods-2018-282.png dronemods-2018-281.png dronemods-2018-280.png

FLY5542.DAT

If I was going to continue yes it probably needs cooling but unfortunately, I think I'm done with this mod. When I took off for this flight and it was under load I heard the dreaded vibrating noise that took me down more than once before. I don’t believe heat is causing my issue because It was at takeoff, I believe it’s some kind of current limiting or some other limiting factor. It could even be my esc is toast idk...I started this mod to see how much battery I can carry to get as much usable flight time as I could. If I just wanted to go up slow and make no fast movements and get a long hover time this is ok but for normal fast forward flight with a lot of mah hanging this isn't working for me...

@beanbubba if you continue with this mod good luck man! I hope you get it working! But if you quit, believe me I understand…
Not sure what you want to see in the .DAT but I poked around some.
upload_2018-6-11_5-15-39.png

The eventLog stream had a bunch of these.

717.065 : 40702 [L-FDI]propulsion Spd-Cur fault:0
727.845 : 41241 [L-FDI]propulsion Spd-Cur fault:1

I suppose the 0 and 1 might be referring to motors rightFront and leftFront, respectively.

If I had it to do over I would have gotten involved in the battery/long distance stuff instead of the software stuff.

Reactions: chazz
If I had it to do over I would have gotten involved in the battery/long distance stuff instead of the software stuff.

Noooo! If you would have gone that path how would I know my left front motors current is all over the place! :)

But seriously its never too late.;)

Capture25.PNG

Reactions: BudWalker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew