DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

I was just thinking that if the arms aren't going to pivot, the final design could integrate the mounting points to the mid frame and be all 1 piece. That would reduce stress concentrations at the small OD of the cylinder and where any screws go in.

What about a whole different frame.

I'm ready to test again. I added a lot of extra weight with the extended motor mounts, the 10" props and all the tape and there's a lot of extra wire going to the motors so i could move the motors out for the 12" props..When I'm done testing I'll have to cut some of the fat.

IMG_7504.JPG IMG_7506.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

Reactions: beanbubba
I’m wondering how much this will benefit to the leaderboard range tests, maybe allowing for a lot longer flights (even though it’s currently stuck at 59,000 ft)
59000 feet? Heading to the stratosphere?

I was just thinking that if the arms aren't going to pivot, the final design could integrate the mounting points to the mid frame and be all 1 piece. That would reduce stress concentrations at the small OD of the cylinder and where any screws go in.
I was thinking the same thing. But not going to invest more time in this until I get flying.

Reactions: chazz
I am designing front arms and had to decide wether to leave the antennas up front. I decided against it and putting an antenna housing at the top of the gps extender. It should have good clearance and line of site in all directions. Printing this now...

dronemods-2018-198.png

Reactions: chazz
I think moving the antenna higher is a good idea... you might want to add a slight bend radius to the bottom mounting plate to fit a little better...

I think moving the antenna higher is a good idea... you might want to add a slight bend radius to the bottom mounting plate to fit a little better...

Good point, I hadn't printed a prototype yet to catch that.

Hey Lolo, I was more than pleasantly surprised how rigid the rear rotor arm assembly is with that big screw through the peg (offset as to not damage the power cable in the center). I probably won't mod this any further unless problems surface later.

I'm ready to test again. I added a lot of extra weight with the extended motor mounts, the 10" props and all the tape and there's a lot of extra wire going to the motors so i could move the motors out for the 12" props..When I'm done testing I'll have to cut some of the fat.

View attachment 38678 View attachment 38679 View attachment 38680

I would consider a thicker fishing line for your front rotor cable arrestor (or even the thinest wire rope you can find). But it looks great!!

Prototype finished printing and had a bunch of errors. Here is version 4 that just went on the printer.

Attachments

• MavicGPSv4.stl.zip
    58.6 KB · Views: 6
I am designing front arms and had to decide wether to leave the antennas up front. I decided against it and putting an antenna housing at the top of the gps extender. It should have good clearance and line of site in all directions. Printing this now...

View attachment 38685
I never had any good results from having the antenna above the GPS. The stock antenna locations are actually decent, just put them more upright.

@beanbubba did you get that thing up in the air yet? And @lolo780 what are you working on now? Why aint you doing this?
I'm waiting for my new platinums to arrive in the mail, plus new props and various spares.

What sort of ESC temps are you guys seeing with the Phantom motors? On my last crash'n burn flight the rear ESCs got to 108 deg, fronts 90. Normally I see 80f 95r. Heat sinking the FETs is really going to help.

Reactions: Rnl
I never had any good results from having the antenna above the GPS. The stock antenna locations are actually decent, just put them more upright.
If you have already proven this, I won't waste anymore effort attempting it. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: efowler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus