DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum fell into the ocean, drone recovered.

If you haven't yet,.. Carefully pop-off all the metal shields on the motherboard and give a good rinse and gentle scrub of the components. You can carefully preserve the thermal compound for re-assemble.

It is not advisable to try to re-power the device without cleaning these parts as well.

Are you sure you have uploaded the correct .TXT and .DAT files ? The time indication in the file name is different although the date is the same ( Jan 6th ). The flight paths in the two files are different as well but in both cases, the log stopped when the drone was over the water.

Flight path in the .TXT file :
View attachment 90061

Flight path in the .DAT file :
View attachment 90062

0926a13f7f0f3285f41c4ee560d07571.jpg
This is the correct flight record. Sorry I must have accidentally used another record from earlier in the day. Thank you! Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Today my brother was flying his Mavic Pro Platinum over the ocean. He had flown out several hundred feet from the shore to get some shots of a paddle boarder and kayaker. He got his shots and flew away from them parallel to the shore. We were talking and he looked away from his screen to look at me while descending. Being distracted by our conversation he continued to descend and his phone said “landing”. His phone said aircraft disconnected after it said landing but his remote controller was still connected. He immediately pushed the right stick up to gain altitude. We saw his drone ascending and after the drone had gone up around 40 feet or so the drone just lost power and fell into the ocean. We immediately ran to the water and started looking. We couldn’t find it so I ran and got my M2P and after looking from above for awhile I spotted it and we retrieved it. We rinsed it out really good with distilled water, disassembled it and cleaned it with alcohol and distilled water. The drone is currently drying and after it’s done we’ll reassemble it. My question is what caused the drone to fall out of the sky like that. The battery didn’t fall out and no props came off. I’ll post the flight records for @sar104 to analyze. Thank you and Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

We reassembled the drone this morning, powered it on, the drones motors did their preflight check, the gimbal started it’s check but it smoked while doing it. The remote controller would not connect. The gimbal now doesn’t work. Should we try repairing it ourselves or send it to DJI? Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

DJI will scrap it as it was in salt water, they might offer you a slight discount on a new or refurb drone they will not repair that one

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Everyone here has corrected a possible typo.
But "Mavic Pro Platinum" originally stated - 'He immediately pushed the right stick up to gain altitude.'
With my limited knowledge, Right Stick, is forward motion.
Am I correct here or does the MPP have different controls.???
Whilst members here have assumed the correction should have been Left Stick forward to gain altitude........
What if Mavic Pro Platinum actually did push Right stick forward.???????

But "Mavic Pro Platinum" originally stated - 'He immediately pushed the right stick up to gain altitude.'
Whilst members here have assumed the correction should have been Left Stick forward to gain altitude........
Depends on the controller mode, default on the pro is mode 2 (according to manual) which would be left stick for altitude. Mode 1 + 3 would be right stick.

My bad, I meant left not right. His drone is in mode 2 (default). Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

We were talking and he looked away from his screen to look at me while descending. Being distracted by our conversation he continued to descend and his phone said “landing”.
His phone said aircraft disconnected after it said landing but his remote controller was still connected. He immediately pushed the left stick up to gain altitude. We saw his drone ascending and after the drone had gone up around 40 feet or so the drone just lost power and fell into the ocean.
My question is what caused the drone to fall out of the sky like that.
Here's what that data looks like:
The flight was all at safe heights, well clear of the water until until he pulled the left stick down at 2:57.3 (at 55 ft) and held it there until 3:03.7 which brought the Mavic right down to just above the water's surface.
At 3:06.3, even though the left stick was full down, the VPS has detected the water surface 1ft below the drone and prevented landing.
But with the left stick still down, the drone sensed that the pilot wanted to land and descended into the water.
The last line of data at 3:07.9 shows the pilot pushing the left stick full up.
We don't get to see any data showing it climbing back to 40 feet and falling.

If the drone didn't submarine at 3:07.9, we don't have data to show what happened next but can guess.
it would seem that in the momentary splashdown, some salt water got into the Mavic and started to short circuit different components as it trickled through.
The RC signal may have been one of the first systems to fail but propulsion kept going a few seconds more before it or the battery was sizzled and the show was over.

Here's the data for the last few seconds showing the joystick input and VPS height information.
The left stick was held down for 11 seconds (far right column)
3:05.7 - VPS had detected the water and slowed descent
3:06.8 - Landing initiated
3:07.7 - Left stick released
3:07.9 - Left stick pushed up but it was too late to prevent salt water damage
i-j3Q2b9M-XL.jpg

As noted in the data, how is a "forced landing" defined?

As noted in the data, how is a "forced landing" defined?

Forced landing state is entered when the aircraft VPS height above ground is less than a few meters (that setting is customizable) and full down throttle is applied. In this case it looks like:

Climb2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B and JAW
Forced landing state is entered when the aircraft VPS height above ground is less than a few meters (that setting is customizable) and full down throttle is applied. In this case it looks like:

View attachment 90289
Thank you

A real belly dive ... was it a brain fart regarding stick directions?

View attachment 90267

Gamers / flight simulator users can get into trouble with mode 2 sometimes.
Being used to ‘stick back’ to go up can take a lot of time to get out of that habit.
Indeed, I’ve often wondered if actual pilots find this difficult when they start on drones, or do they switch modes to suit what they’re more used to ?

Gamers / flight simulator users can get into trouble with mode 2 sometimes.
Being used to ‘stick back’ to go up can take a lot of time to get out of that habit.
Indeed, I’ve often wondered if actual pilots find this difficult when they start on drones, or do they switch modes to suit what they’re more used to ?

... and this right here is why I latched on to the FT Aviator early. It's completely intuitive for anyone who either flies for real, or in flight sims. The "side stick" style controls are excellent.

I've read a bunch of people saying "what would I ever use that thing for?" -- well, here's the use case. It prevents getting crossed up ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga