DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum fell into the ocean, drone recovered.

Mavic Pro Platinum

Reactions
Today my brother was flying his Mavic Pro Platinum over the ocean. He had flown out several hundred feet from the shore to get some shots of a paddle boarder and kayaker. He got his shots and flew away from them parallel to the shore. We were talking and he looked away from his screen to look at me while descending. Being distracted by our conversation he continued to descend and his phone said “landing”. His phone said aircraft disconnected after it said landing but his remote controller was still connected. He immediately pushed the left stick up to gain altitude. We saw his drone ascending and after the drone had gone up around 40 feet or so the drone just lost power and fell into the ocean. We immediately ran to the water and started looking. We couldn’t find it so I ran and got my M2P and after looking from above for awhile I spotted it and we retrieved it. We rinsed it out really good with distilled water, disassembled it and cleaned it with alcohol and distilled water. The drone is currently drying and after it’s done we’ll reassemble it. My question is what caused the drone to fall out of the sky like that. The battery didn’t fall out and no props came off. I’ll post the flight records for @sar104 to analyze. Thank you and Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Last edited:
Today my brother was flying his Mavic Pro Platinum over the ocean. He had flown out several hundred feet from the shore to get some shots of a paddle boarder and kayaker. He got his shots and flew away from them parallel to the shore. We were talking and he looked away from his screen to look at me while descending. Being distracted by our conversation he continued to descend and his phone said “landing”. His phone said aircraft disconnected after it said landing but his remote controller was still connected. He immediately pushed the right stick up to gain altitude. We saw his drone ascending and after the drone had gone up around 40 feet or so the drone just lost power and fell into the ocean. We immediately ran to the water and started looking. We couldn’t find it so I ran and got my M2P and after looking from above for awhile I spotted it and we retrieved it. We rinsed it out really good with distilled water, disassembled it and cleaned it with alcohol and distilled water. The drone is currently drying and after it’s done we’ll reassemble it. My question is what caused the drone to fall out of the sky like that. The battery didn’t fall out and no props came off. I’ll post the flight records for @sar104 to analyze. Thank you and Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

How do we retrieve the flight record from my brothers phone? It’s been a while lol. Once we reassemble the drone we’ll recover the flight record from the drone itself to see exactly what happened. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

There are instructions and links here:

My question is what caused the drone to fall out of the sky like that. The battery didn’t fall out and no props came off.
The data will be necessary to know what happened.
How far from the water was the drone when he pushed the left stick to climb to 40 ft?
How do we retrieve the flight record from my brothers phone? It’s been a while lol. Once we reassemble the drone we’ll recover the flight record from the drone itself to see exactly what happened.
The record from the phone will probably be all that's needed to see what happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

We rinsed it out really good with distilled water, disassembled it and cleaned it with alcohol and distilled water. The drone is currently drying and after it’s done we’ll reassemble it.
Unfortunately it's probably a wasted effort, seawater kills electronics.

The data will be necessary to know what happened.
How far from the water was the drone when he pushed the left stick to climb to 40 ft?

The record from the phone will probably be all that's needed to see what happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Unfortunately it's probably a wasted effort, seawater kills electronics.

Thank you. He was approximately 300 feet from the shore over the ocean. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

This should be it. The records should be today at around 12:30 PM, let me know if they aren’t. Thank you! Thumbswayup

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-06_[12-29-19].txt
    818.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2020-01-06_11-58-26_FLY422.DAT
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
It crashed into 6 feet or so of water and was in for 45 minutes or so. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]
You said that the drone descended and the pilot took it up quickly.
How close to the water did the drone get before the flyer took it up?
Did it touch the water?

The flight data looks like this:

I'm having trouble matching the flight data to the incident description.
The last time the pilot pulled the left stick back to climb was at 7:10.7 when the drone climbed to 130 ft.
For the rest of the flight (5 more minutes) the drone was descending or flying level.
The pilot pulled down on the left stick from 11:48.2 till 11:51.6 and again from 11:52.6 to 11:54.3.
It was this joystick movement that brought the drone down to low level and it was left hovering there until 12:15.6 when the data ends.

This doesn't match the description of climbing to 40 ft and falling.
There's also no warning about Landing in the data.

Did it touch the water?

The last time the pilot pulled the left stick back to climb was at 7:10.7 when the drone climbed to 130 ft.
For the rest of the flight (5 more minutes) the drone was descending or flying level.
The pilot pulled down on the left stick from 11:48.2 till 11:51.6 and again from 11:52.6 to 11:54.3.
It was this joystick movement that brought the drone down to low level and it was left hovering there until 12:15.6 when the data ends.

Correct. DJI GO 4 said “aircraft disconnected” somewhere near the time it said “landing”. When we reassemble the drone we’ll get the flight records off it. Are you able to read flight records from the AC? Thank you! Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Did it touch the water?

Here’s some close ups of the drones electronics. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]IMG_0524.JPGIMG_0525.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0527.JPGIMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPGIMG_0530.JPGIMG_0532.JPGIMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPG

Correct. DJI GO 4 said “aircraft disconnected” somewhere near the time it said “landing”. When we reassemble the drone we’ll get the flight records off it. Are you able to read flight records from the AC? Thank you! Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]
I'm still trying to understand the description of the incident.

I asked this Q 3 times because it's important:
Did it touch the water?

I can't match what the data shows to what you have described.
I can't find a time when the drone was descending and then climbed to 40 ft and shortly, dropped to the water.

Someone else might look at the .dat file for you

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

Did it touch the water?

I can't find a time when the drone was descending and then climbed to 40 ft and shortly, dropped to the water.

Tbh, I have no idea if it touched the water or not. I wasn’t looking at the drone or the screen when it said “landing”. My brother said he’s pretty sure it didn’t touch the water. If it did touch the water that could have been the reason that it fell right? Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Reactions: RayKelly
Tbh, I have no idea if it touched the water or not. I wasn’t looking at the drone or the screen when it said “landing”. My brother said he’s pretty sure it didn’t touch the water. If it did touch the water that could have been the reason that it fell right? Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]
Did it get close to the water?
I'm trying to find the point in the flight data where this happened.
I have 15 minutes of data (a spreadsheet with 6300 rows of numbers) and nothing so far that matches your story.

Did it touch the water?

When the drone fell, it still had power, but it was like the drone csc’d and was trying to level out. Maybe it did touch the water and it took a few seconds for it to go haywire. The motors definitely were spinning when it fell. Hopefully this makes sense. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

When the drone fell, it still had power, but it was like the drone csc’d and was trying to level out. Maybe it did touch the water and it took a few seconds for it to go haywire. The motors definitely were spinning when it fell. Hopefully this makes sense. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]
Here's what I can see for teh last five minutes of the flight:

Does that match any of your memory of the flight?
How for before the dunking was the drone up 130 feet?
Was there a time in the incident when the drone was hovering at low level for 30 seconds ? (that's when the flight data ends).

Did it get close to the water?
I'm trying to find the point in the flight data where this happened.
I have 15 minutes of data (a spreadsheet with 6300 rows of numbers) and nothing so far that matches your story.

It definitely did get close to the water. He took off from the yard in front of the condo that we’re staying at which is 15 feet or so above sea level. The drone was at -11 feet when it said landing. So it was probably 1-3 feet above the water. Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Reactions: RayKelly
Here's what I can see for teh last five minutes of the flight:

Does that match any of your memory of the flight?
How for before the dunking was the drone up 130 feet?
Was there a time in the incident when the drone was hovering at low level for 30 seconds ? (that's when the flight data ends).

No, the drone did not hover for 30 seconds. He had the stick down until it said “landing” then he pushed the stick up. It was a minute or two from 130 feet to the dunking. Thank you! Thumbswayup[emoji1417][emoji16]

Are you sure you have uploaded the correct .TXT and .DAT files ? The time indication in the file name is different although the date is the same ( Jan 6th ). The flight paths in the two files are different as well but in both cases, the log stopped when the drone was over the water.

Flight path in the .TXT file :
txt.JPG

Flight path in the .DAT file :
dat.JPG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54