DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro, Platinum or Air?

SPUDGUN1981

Reactions
Hi!
i'm new to this forum and been reading lots of post and watching lots of you tube!!!!

I'm now going to purchase my new drone but which one?????
Been flying a mates pro and waited until this week to see what Dji came out with and its threw me a little.

I like it (air) and its features but is the pro/platinum better in range etc

HELP!!!!!

Regards Spudgun1981.

Reactions: mrbillsy
I am in absolutely the same situation. I like the MP because of the OcuSync vs the WiFi of the Air. But I love the additional features (camera shots, sensors etc) of the Air over the MP and the size is awesome!

I don't need massive range, but all my flights will be in the metro/built up areas. If it could do up to 1km no probs and consistently, that would be totally cool with me. I am worried that the WiFi will just have too many connectivity issues and basically become annoying and thus a waste of $1500AUD.

I'm keeping an eye on the other forums for 'real user' feedback on the WiFi side of things.

Reactions: SPUDGUN1981
A few months ago when I was thinking I might want to get a drone, I didn’t want to drop a grand on a MP only to find out I didn’t like it, so I picked up a great deal on a Bebop 2 Power. It uses WiFi to connect to its controller and in areas such as my neighborhood, sometimes I’m lucky to get over 300m before I lose signal. I’ve flown my Mavic Pro all over the same area with very little drop in signal strength. DJI might use a WiFi system that’s better than Parrot, but I’d still bet that it doesn’t penetrate through interference like the Occusync does.

I am in absolutely the same situation. I like the MP because of the OcuSync vs the WiFi of the Air. But I love the additional features (camera shots, sensors etc) of the Air over the MP and the size is awesome!

I don't need massive range, but all my flights will be in the metro/built up areas. If it could do up to 1km no probs and consistently, that would be totally cool with me. I am worried that the WiFi will just have too many connectivity issues and basically become annoying and thus a waste of $1500AUD.

I'm keeping an eye on the other forums for 'real user' feedback on the WiFi side of things.
Be aware that these ranges are theoretical, I have done 4,5km with my Mavic Pro in southern France, but closer to home, with interference from wi-fi etc in my neighborhood, my range is more 750m to 1km...
So, for me the only downside of the Mavic Air is the lack of ocusync....

Hence the big advantage to the Mavic Pro in my view
PS: Mavic Platinum would my choice today...

Last edited:
Now that it's clear the Pro is the better choice over the Air..

Get the Pro over the platinum. I don't think the low noise or the extra few mins of battery life is worth the extra cost. Definitely go for the fly more combo, all those extra bits come in handy.

Yeah, but don't you have to be a Costco member to purchase at that price?

Anyway, right now I'd stick to a Pro if you can get it at one of these discounted prices. At $799 I'd be tempted to buy a back up but I'm not a Costco member. At $999 for the MP and $1099 for the MPP, i'd prefer the MPP as it really sounds quite a bit quieter to me. The Air does not offer much over a Pro and I think it loses out on some key areas (Occusync, flight time, smaller and less mass usually mean less stable in wind, etc).

Definitely go for Mavic Pro fly more combo (1 battery is not enough and the accessories in the bundle are all usefull). The more you fly, you will enjoy longer range. Buy the low noise propellers (20 bucks) which are compatible with the MP and enjoy lower noise and longer flight time (low noise props run with 10% less revs on the MP). No need to spend more on the Platinum version.

Hi!
i'm new to this forum and been reading lots of post and watching lots of you tube!!!!

I'm now going to purchase my new drone but which one?????
Been flying a mates pro and waited until this week to see what Dji came out with and its threw me a little.

I like it (air) and its features but is the pro/platinum better in range etc

HELP!!!!!

Regards Spudgun1981.
My opinion is that the better connection(Occusync) and battery life would push out Air from the options, that leaves the latest Mavic, so I recommend a Platinum, or wait to buy a used Pro from someone else who thought the Air was an upgrade.

I was in the same position and decided to go for the Pro. You still get the portability and the Pro is now a well proven drone. I see the Air as a close 2nd to the Pro and better than the Spark.
The new Pro 2 will be out soon and I am sure will be very good also - but at a cost. Here in the UK, the Pro is available with hardly any use at a good price now if you look around. I am still keeping my Phantom Pro 3 which I love also - but not suitable for holidays and travel like the Pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe