DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro restricted weirdly

51st state

Reactions
hello I'm new to this site and looking for some advice .
I've had the mavic pro about a year and still learning various things but have used a lot of it's features filming in various places around europe . Took the drone out yesterday on my local field after it being sat around for 5/6 weeks , it started up fine , gps fine flew up fine but sport mode would not work then I noticed it was generally slow and would not go beyond 45 metres from the take off point , all my settings are at the limits ?? .
I took it home tried again in the garden and now the camera stopped working with a diagonal line across the camera red button on the app as if it had been turned off purposely ??
anyone shed any light on this , it feels like dji have sent some down load to it restricting it
cheers 51st state

Sounds like your update reset everything maybe you are down to beginner mode again - try updating the app as well.

I've already checked on the app and switched it in and out of beginner mode , still the same . checking through various things I found a list of stuff telling me there are updates , could this be the problem ?

Dble check side you may be in wifi auto connect. Last thing we sll do is look at vid card.

there is no sim card in it and it is turned to RF not wifi , just tried it again and it reaches 45m then a small message on the screen ," maximum distance reached go main controller to change" I have gone to the phone app gone into the distances , I have it on maximum distance enabled and set at 2000m I have just changed it to 1000m still no different , driving me mad !!!!!!!!!

Turn distance off height at 120 meters make sure your not in beginner mode

Are you set imperial or metric dble chk that also did you do the update for bird and rc? Sometimes go app reverts back to beginner settings when updated

yes I have checked everything and changed everything on the app for height and distance , tried with and without maximum range set , turned beginner mode on and off , still the same
height is limited to 30m and distance 45m
all I can think is dji has restricted it until updates are done ?? it works perfectly well apart from the restrictions , if this is the case I will seriously think about selling , the big brother stuff really touches a nerve ,I already have some parrot anafi drones in the watch list !

Strange. I would uninstall and wipe all assosicated data from my phone, then try a fresh install (If you haven't already) Good luck

yesterday I sorted the mavic pro by updating the go 4 app which really involved updates to fly safe which assume is going to restrict me in more areas ! .
the MP and the Iphone 6 I use exclusively with it have not been linked to the internet the Iphone does not have a sim card in it , I bought it just to use the dji app , it is in aeroplane mode and wifi off yet my MP was restricted until I loaded the updates , so HOW was it restricted ?
before the restricted flight the MP and phone where sat in a briefcase type case all turned off for several weeks

Is the Iphone still linking to the internet through my home router or can this be done via GPS ??

now its working properly again it's a great bit of kit but this big brother stuff really hits a nerve

it is in aeroplane mode and wifi off yet my MP was restricted until I loaded the updates ,
so HOW was it restricted ?
The question is a good one.
How could you tell it was restricted?
Is the Iphone still linking to the internet through my home router or can this be done via GPS ??
It can only connect to the net if you had wifi working.
GPS has nothing to do with the internet and can only give location and time data to you.
It takes receives nothing back from you.
now its working properly again it's a great bit of kit but this big brother stuff really hits a nerve
It might not have been big brother stuff at all.

I know it was restricted because it would not fly above 30m or 45m from take off point , speed was also restricted with no sport mode , I went through everything on the app but it would not change it , yesterday I turned on the wifi on the iphone went into the app and updated , this seemed to be a "flysafe" update . After the update I tried it and the MP went straight to 100m altitude and 100m away in sport mode .
I had change nothing in the controls of the MP , somehow I knew that the flysafe update would resolve it and it's all about restrictions , anyway I imagine this will affect many other dji owners in future , what i would like to know is how it got restricted .
I'm not convinced that that the iphone isn't linking to the net on it's own as I have had this with amazon kindle

I know it was restricted because it would not fly above 30m or 45m from take off point , speed was also restricted with no sport mode , I went through everything on the app but it would not change it , yesterday I turned on the wifi on the iphone went into the app and updated , this seemed to be a "flysafe" update . After the update I tried it and the MP went straight to 100m altitude and 100m away in sport mode .
I had change nothing in the controls of the MP , somehow I knew that the flysafe update would resolve it and it's all about restrictions , anyway I imagine this will affect many other dji owners in future , what i would like to know is how it got restricted .
I'm not convinced that that the iphone isn't linking to the net on it's own as I have had this with amazon kindle

It's unlikely to be the flysafe database update. One of mine that I haven't updated has been nagging for that, but I haven't seen any flight or flight mode restrictions as a result. And in general, other than a couple of critical safety issues a few years back, no update has been required to avoid flight restrictions. You should check the DAT file event stream log to see what was causing the problem.

You should ease up on the conspiratorial guesses and look at the facts instead.
What you are saying sounds a lot like what happens if you have not logged in to your DJI account in the app.
If so, it's not big brother at all and does not suggest that your phone was spying on you.
After you updated, did you sign in to your account?

You should ease up on the conspiratorial guesses and look at the facts instead.

no I didn't sign in to anything or sign out previously , it seems simple , drone is restricted , app is working on all accounts , shows all the data for the drone etc , I go through it and change things but still restricted , I update , flysafe update shows on the phone screen and update complete , immediately go outside and do exactly the same as I have always done , no restrictions , did not touch a thing in the app

as far conspiratorial guesses go I have good reason , I have an amazon kindle , I placed on a shelf in the dining room with wifi turned off , go to it the next day and wifi is on again ? so I turn it and test it , next day it's back on , leave it a few days and battery has run down to nothing . So I block the microphone and cover the camera's guess what , wifi doesn't come back on and battery will last weeks , I wonder why !?

no I didn't sign in to anything or sign out previously , it seems simple , drone is restricted , app is working on all accounts , shows all the data for the drone etc , I go through it and change things but still restricted , I update , flysafe update shows on the phone screen and update complete , immediately go outside and do exactly the same as I have always done , no restrictions , did not touch a thing in the app
So why would your drone and app be working in a way no-one else has ever noticed?
I'm going to suspect your observation and assumption might be the explanation.
as far conspiratorial guesses go I have good reason , I have an amazon kindle , I placed on a shelf in the dining room with wifi turned off .... I wonder why !?
So you don't understand something about an Amazon Kindle and that's a reason to suspect weird big brother interference with your drone?
Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev