DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Severe Stutter

Have you experienced stuttering with your MP?

• Total voters

SpeederT12

Reactions
Hey lads,
Title says it all. Not sure if this is the correct sub to post this but oh well. In this 4K video (cropped and exported in Premiere), 24fps, you'll see some SEVERE stutter as well as the soft image. Cannot recall whether this was on 0 or -1 sharpness but this is raw footage, hot off card. Why does this happen? It happens in MANY scenes and shots, but this is the worst I've seen. Is this RMA worthy? Because I'm seeing some perfectly smooth and sharp videos on the Net and I dunno...

P.S. Dropbox lowered the resolution for some reason. In full res it looks even worse

Please advice,
Cheers,
Alex.

Technically none (other than it being blocked in a lot of companies) but in the age of instant gratification your chances of actually getting a response will go up if you make it easier for people to see the video. I may not agree with it, but that doesn't make me wrong.

So it was cropped and exported in Premiere, or it was hot off the card? I just read both and they are counter to each other.

FWIW I never see stuttering in original files. I do however see it after I try editing if I don't get my settings right (Using AVI Demux).

My first thought is you shouldn't be flying over people in public like that.

Apart from that it's impossible to evaluate accurately. You say it was cropped and exported in Premiere, which means it's been re-encoded once. Then it was re-encoded again by Dropbox.

Then it was re-encoded again by Dropbox.

Not if you download it instead of streaming it.

Every frame of that video is super sharp so I'll assume it's been shot at a very fast shutter speed, combined with the 24fps this is exactly what you get, there's nothing wrong with it. Bump it up to 30fps, use an ND filter to reduce your shutter speed (1/60 - 1/100s) and it will look much smoother.

And to give you an idea.. here's a quick "fix" in after effects that simulates a much longer shutter speed. It's still not good but you get the idea.. pause the video at 0:06 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

And to give you an idea.. here's a quick "fix" in after effects that simulates a much longer shutter speed. It's still not good but you get the idea.. pause the video at 0:06 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Looks quite better. How did you accomplish this?

My first thought is you shouldn't be flying over people in public like that.

Apart from that it's impossible to evaluate accurately. You say it was cropped and exported in Premiere, which means it's been re-encoded once. Then it was re-encoded again by Dropbox.
Yeah, flying over people isn't the smartest thing, apologies. I mean to say that the stutter is present in the original file, it's just been cropped in premiere to reduce size for sharing sake. As I am new to the program, the quality gets dumbed down a bit and the stutter is not so apparent, but it is still there

Reactions: Mr. Salty
So it was cropped and exported in Premiere, or it was hot off the card? I just read both and they are counter to each other.

FWIW I never see stuttering in original files. I do however see it after I try editing if I don't get my settings right (Using AVI Demux).
I meant that it is the same in both source and premiere, sorry for the miswording. See my other reply

Not if you download it instead of streaming it.

Every frame of that video is super sharp so I'll assume it's been shot at a very fast shutter speed, combined with the 24fps this is exactly what you get, there's nothing wrong with it. Bump it up to 30fps, use an ND filter to reduce your shutter speed (1/60 - 1/100s) and it will look much smoother.
Perhaps it would look better, though shouldn't the stock MP not do this? This is way too choppy to be shutter speed, or is it not? Sorry I am new

I faked the effect in Adobe After Effects (Pixel motion blur) but it's not really something you want to do on a longer clip, you want to get it right in camera.

The mavic is not to blame, it's doing exactly what it's told - taking 24 very sharp images per second. Look into "180 degree shutter rule" and how ND filters can help you reduce shutter speed. I typically use ND16 on a sunny day and don't drop below 30fps.

Where is it btw? Nice to see an ad for Starobrno ;)

I faked the effect in Adobe After Effects (Pixel motion blur) but it's not really something you want to do on a longer clip, you want to get it right in camera.

The mavic is not to blame, it's doing exactly what it's told - taking 24 very sharp images per second. Look into "180 degree shutter rule" and how ND filters can help you reduce shutter speed. I typically use ND16 on a sunny day and don't drop below 30fps.

Where is it btw? Nice to see an ad for Starobrno ;)
Aye, thanks, I'll look into it. It is in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. Not in the Czech Republic if that's what you supposed :D
Quite a nice place, you should see it if you haven't already done so

Agreed w/ the above. I shoot at 30fps, a shutter speed of 60, and use ND filters to keep things from being too bright, if needed. An hour before sunset I probably won't need anything, but on \a bright day I need ND16. I am considering buying an ND32 as well.

This is not a thing specific to the Mavic, it's a thing that is true for any video camera. It's a whole new territory even for people that have a lot of photography experience and it works differently.

There are tutorials on youtube about this, worthwhile to watch them.

Agreed w/ the above. I shoot at 30fps, a shutter speed of 60, and use ND filters to keep things from being too bright, if needed. An hour before sunset I probably won't need anything, but on \a bright day I need ND16. I am considering buying an ND32 as well.

This is not a thing specific to the Mavic, it's a thing that is true for any video camera. It's a whole new territory even for people that have a lot of photography experience and it works differently.

There are tutorials on youtube about this, worthwhile to watch them.
Could you point me to a particular guide you used/have used? I have seen some but I'm not sure if I am missing something. I am also struggling to find a decent basics Premiere or Lightroom guide, so I can atleast start editing, grading and creating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78