DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro took-off without given command and crashed :(

i suppose, i have never taken off that way, seems more time consuming and more buttons to push than the simple push the take off button to me, i suppose it could be useful for someting

Personally I much prefer manual takeoff - much more flexible control if anything abnormal happens, allows complete control over the initial hover height etc.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Personally I much prefer manual takeoff - much more flexible control if anything abnormal happens, allows complete control over the initial hover height etc.
ahhh so u can rise to 6 inches or a foot as compared to the 3ft the auto take off does? ok i can see that being useful

Actually he stated quite clearly that it was indoors. Later clarified, with photo, as on a ship.
Yup...Not disputing he was indoors. But, you lead with telling him flying indoors is never a good idea His intent, as stated in the first paragraph, was NOT to fly at all:
" (INTENTION WAS TO DISCHARGE THE BATTERY - NOT TO FLY AT ALL)

Yup...Not disputing he was indoors. But, you lead with telling him flying indoors is never a good idea His intent, as stated in the first paragraph, was NOT to fly at all:
" (INTENTION WAS TO DISCHARGE THE BATTERY - NOT TO FLY AT ALL)

Sorry - completely misunderstood your post. Agreed.

However - I didn't tell him not to fly indoors - that was someone else. I've often powered up motors indoors, and I've done hover and sound level tests indoors. Not that I recommend it either, unless you have ATTI control or good GPS.

Reactions: Simmo
Fully agree with @sar104... by taking off manually, You do have more control over the process in hand, and it's even faster than auto take-off.

I'll repeat the process I did when my MP crashed. To see if sudden change in barometric pressure migth result in a auto take-off without throttle.

Being on a ship that is moving...... couldn't fight computer have misintetperited ships motion as aircraft drift and tried to correct?

Being on a ship that is moving...... couldn't fight computer have misintetperited ships motion as aircraft drift and tried to correct?

After it took off - possibly - but the question is why did it take off in the first place.

I had something happen yesterday. I was beginning a video to verify the MP's qualification for Extended "warranty". I was outdoors but decided to remove the props so I could handle the Mavic due to the nature of the video requirements.
I started the motors as required and all was well, motors idled as usual
I went to adjust the position of the Mav., picking it up,at which point the motors revved without any control input.
It was as though The Bird sensed the slight altitude gain as was compensating to maintain its position?
Any thoughts?
The IMU, gyroscopes and compasses all registered a change of position and as there were no control inputs attempted to keep your Mavic where it was using the only means it has, and changed the motor speeds. It’s the same as when it is hovering and a gust of wind catches it.

You can also blip the up throttle and rev up the motors a bit without taking off..

Hi to all... as many others, I'm here to seek help regarding my Mavic Pro :(

Problem? CRAFT TOOK-OFF THE GROUND WHILE IDLING WITHOUT ANY GIVEN COMMAND AND CRASHED (INTENTION WAS TO DISCHARGE THE BATTERY - NOT TO FLY AT ALL)

Was unit in a crash? YES (BROKEN CAMERA WITH GIMBAL, BROKEN PROPS, DAMAGED PLASTIC HOUSING)

What have you tried so far? DOWNLOADED *.DAT FILES AND BLACK BOX DATA TO PC, HOWEVER THERE SEEMS TO BE MISSING SOME FLIGHT RECORDS.
I TRIED TO UNDERSTAND THE DATA, HOWEVER UNSUCCESSFUL.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? AT THE TIME OF THE CRASH - ONLY CONTROLLER, NO SMARTPHONE ATTACHED.

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? AC & REMOTE - 01.04.0300

What Go app version are you using? 4.2.6

Any modification? (if so what) NO

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) NO

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
NO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sequence of events (ambient: INDOORS):

1. unfold the craft, removed gimbal clamp and camera cover
  2. placed the craft on the floor (PROPELLERS ATTACHED)
  3. unfolded antennas on the controller and switched on the controller (SMARTPHONE with DJI GO App NOT CONNECTED - ONLY CONTROLLER IN USE)
  4. switched on the craft
  5. controller and craft got connected
  6. started the motors by pushing the control sticks down and outwards
  7. motors started - craft idling on the floor
  8. I put the remote controller on the floor - few steps from the craft
  9. after idling on the floor for 10-15 sec craft performed ABRUPT take-off without given command (the controller was not in my hands)
  10. by taking-off, the craft hit the sealing and than fell to floor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANY IDEAS HOW TO PROCEED???
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Sounds to me like RTH kicked in for whatever reason. Quite possibly due to either losing or never attaining GPS lock. I've seen this happen before! One thing I'm sure you'll hear a lot of is NOT leaving props attached when doing things like this. I had my P4P attempt this twice while running batteries down.

they dont idle, it will take off to about 3ft then idle, it wont idle sittinng on the ground, if u wanted to discharge u maybe should have taken off the props in case,,,,, when i work on mine indoors i take them off u never know when a glitch will happen with weird interfience
Actually it will idle sitting on the ground, I've done this, with all of my DJI drones(I own several.

Reactions: genesimmons
I know exactly what happened. I have let the drone idle in my hand and then toss it or drop my hand out from underneath. It will immediately attempt to recover and hover. I’m sure the ship movement triggered this same reaction.

If removing the props are not desirable, then perhaps strapping the drone down to a piece of wood or something like could be done to provide the added peace of mind?

I know my cousin who used to fly rc helis used to strap it down after initial assembly to test the controls (back when you actually had to build your toys).

I get nervous too trying to use the dji simulator because it requires me to turn the drone on in my house.... kind of weird to have the drone on if only using simulator, but ok.

I know exactly what happened. I have let the drone idle in my hand and then toss it or drop my hand out from underneath. It will immediately attempt to recover and hover. I’m sure the ship movement triggered this same reaction.

You are completely correct. I ran a couple of tests with props removed and sure enough, simulating a drop caused the motors to spool up immediately and the aircraft state to transition to flying.

mavic_idle_takeoff.png

19.796 : 4030 [L-FMU/FSM]near ground
20.036 : 4042 [L-FMU/FSM]state changed. cur: in air
20.038 : 4042 [L-FLYMODE]CTRL reset all by assisted takeoff finish
20.040 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: impact turn on
20.040 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: height turn on
20.040 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: tilt turn on
20.040 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: head turn on
20.041 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: random fly turn on
20.041 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: fly away turn on
20.041 : 4042 [L-FDI][FDI CTRL] event: horiz turn on
20.041 : 4042 [L-FMU/FSM]state changed. cur: on ground
20.046 : 4042 [L-FMU/FSM]state changed. cur: in air​

I think that unambiguously demonstrates what happened. Even though the aircraft state was "ground" with props idling, and no takeoff command or motor throttle command had been issued, vertical acceleration from ship motion caused the FC to transition to "in air" and perform attitude stabilization. Fascinating.

Terribly sorry for your loss. I have flown indoors and outdoors. One crash due to propeller got loose and deattatched outdoors. Sent to warrantyfix, the sent me a new mavic, no questions asked, their diagnose: Error not made by pilot, right back propeller deattatched by it self. Paid 0€ myself including postage, took 3 weeks to get a new Mavic AC.

REALLY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. this should be a relaxing hobby. It''s no fun to wait for weeeks with a grounded bird and speculate what and why something happened. You should just flyyyyyyyyyyy the way you want...

Again: My symphaties for an unexplainable crash, I know how much it SUCKS.

I use either takeoff method. The advantage of auto takeoff is that it allows the option of more accurate rth, which is my favorite feature to show new people.

Where is the Like X10 Button when you need it? Of course this is what happened. All it took is someone to point out the obvious.
giphy.gif

Reactions: MurMan
I use either takeoff method. The advantage of auto takeoff is that it allows the option of more accurate rth, which is my favorite feature to show new people.

Precision landing does not require auto takeoff to function. It just requires vertical takeoff.

Reactions: Lapeer20m and Simmo
Where is the Like X10 Button when you need it? Of course this is what happened. All it took is someone to point out the obvious.

Agreed - though I would not have guessed that it would behave like that, and I did not actually expect to be able to confirm it so easily.

Reactions: BudWalker and Simmo
Agreed - though I would not have guessed that it would behave like that, and I did not actually expect to be able to confirm it so easily.

I tried it after watching a video of someone do the emergency shutoff in midair and then attempt to restart it. When it’s idling in your hand and you move it up and down a little you can hear the motors slow as it goes up and speed up going down. I eventually got the balls to let my hand out and it just began to hover.

Then I tried a small toss out of my hand and it probably recovered and started hovering before it fell even 6 inches.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000