DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro took-off without given command and crashed :(

u238

Reactions
Hi to all... as many others, I'm here to seek help regarding my Mavic Pro :(

Problem? CRAFT TOOK-OFF THE GROUND WHILE IDLING WITHOUT ANY GIVEN COMMAND AND CRASHED (INTENTION WAS TO DISCHARGE THE BATTERY - NOT TO FLY AT ALL)

Was unit in a crash? YES (BROKEN CAMERA WITH GIMBAL, BROKEN PROPS, DAMAGED PLASTIC HOUSING)

What have you tried so far? DOWNLOADED *.DAT FILES AND BLACK BOX DATA TO PC, HOWEVER THERE SEEMS TO BE MISSING SOME FLIGHT RECORDS.
I TRIED TO UNDERSTAND THE DATA, HOWEVER UNSUCCESSFUL.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? AT THE TIME OF THE CRASH - ONLY CONTROLLER, NO SMARTPHONE ATTACHED.

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? AC & REMOTE - 01.04.0300

What Go app version are you using? 4.2.6

Any modification? (if so what) NO

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) NO

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
NO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sequence of events (ambient: INDOORS):

1. unfold the craft, removed gimbal clamp and camera cover
  2. placed the craft on the floor (PROPELLERS ATTACHED)
  3. unfolded antennas on the controller and switched on the controller (SMARTPHONE with DJI GO App NOT CONNECTED - ONLY CONTROLLER IN USE)
  4. switched on the craft
  5. controller and craft got connected
  6. started the motors by pushing the control sticks down and outwards
  7. motors started - craft idling on the floor
  8. I put the remote controller on the floor - few steps from the craft
  9. after idling on the floor for 10-15 sec craft performed ABRUPT take-off without given command (the controller was not in my hands)
  10. by taking-off, the craft hit the sealing and than fell to floor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANY IDEAS HOW TO PROCEED???
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

flying indoors is just bad idea, it could have had interfeiernce and confised the gps, i have done work on mine indoors and i constantly get errors, no way i would attempt to fly inside

As I said - I had no intention to fly.
The idea was just to idle the motors in order to discharge batteries.

Reactions: Rogat19
they dont idle, it will take off to about 3ft then idle, it wont idle sittinng on the ground, if u wanted to discharge u maybe should have taken off the props in case,,,,, when i work on mine indoors i take them off u never know when a glitch will happen with weird interfience

So, out of sheer curiosity I went ahead and tried this. I manually activated the motors on the ground, OUTSIDE, let it sit for 30 seconds and it did absolutely nothing other than sit there with the motors spinning. It was not until I actually gave it the up command that it rose off the floor.

What this tells me is either your drone received a signal to gain altitude or your device believed it lost connection and tried to RTH. What it also shows is that time and time again it has been shown that flying a drone inside, even turning on the motors, is a terrible idea unless you take the proper precautions.

If you want to proceed, you'll need to fix your craft and not make this same mistake. You can contact DJI and see if there is anything they can do to see if it was somehow a software issue, but it's more than likely going to be labeled a pilot error, ESPECIALLY because you did it indoors AND you set the controller down. That's a big no-no.

Reactions: genesimmons
@u238, please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Reactions: jerryflah
As I said - I had no intention to fly.
The idea was just to idle the motors in order to discharge batteries.
I don’t understand why you just didn’t set the smart batteries to auto discharge after 1 day. There is no need to forcefully discharge the MP’s batteries unless you are traveling via airline. You can set battery discharge time in the Go app.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
i didnt realize u could command the motors to spin with out it taking off, ive never heard of that, how do u do that not that want to i am more curious thaan anythng

i didnt realize u could command the motors to spin with out it taking off, ive never heard of that, how do u do that not that want to i am more curious thaan anythng
Per the first post above:
"started the motors by pushing the control sticks down and outwards"

Down and inward will start the motors too. The only time they won't start when using this method is if you're in beginner mode and GPS is not being used.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Per the first post above:
"started the motors by pushing the control sticks down and outwards"

Down and inward will start the motors too.
ahhh i still thought that lifted the drone to 3 feet just like the slide button does, hmm i am going to try this,,,,,,,outside of course haha

Nope. It just starts/stops the motors.

I totally agree it was i bad idea to do it the way I did it.
Unfortunately, now it's to late.. I can only learn from my mistakes by understanding what really happen - that's why I joined this forum ;)

Whenever I can't fly for more than 3 weeks I manually discharge the batteries to fully charge them - this is supposed to increase their life-span.

I was never found of auto take-off and auto-landing, therefore since the very beginning I was manually starting the motors and than give the "UP" command to take-off. Same way for landing and I never had any issues with it.

I did contact DJI, but there is no reasonable person I managed to talk-to.

@msinger, I'll try this with the TXT doc.

@msinger - at the time of accident, my smartphone with DJI GO app was NOT attached to the remote controller.
If there is any data available it might only be inside the drone itself.
I extracted the FLY.DAT files but there were only few - I had much more flights.
Can the BLACK-BOX files help by any means?

Attachments

• 2018-05-06_022318.JPG
    2018-05-06_022318.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
@msinger - at the time of accident, my smartphone with DJI GO app was NOT attached to the remote controller.
If there is any data available it might only be inside the drone itself.
I extracted the FLY.DAT files but there were only few - I had much more flights.
Can the BLACK-BOX files help by any means?

If that was your last flight and you have only powered up the aircraft once since that time, then it was probably FLY021. If not, then FLY020.

If that was your last flight and you have only powered up the aircraft once since that time, then it was probably FLY021. If not, then FLY020.
Are You telling me I should upload thise files on the link You gave me earlier?

There will be no TXT file then. You can retrieve the internal DAT flight log like this. That flight log should explain what happened.

Are You telling me I should upload thise files on the link You gave me earlier?
ZIP them and attach them here. If the file is too large, upload it to a file sharing site like dropbox.com and post the download link back here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan