DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic quality and customer service

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
I am a "Mavic watcher". I really want one badly; I have owned a P3P for a year now and LOVE it.
In looking at feedback in various places, I see an uncomfortable amount of negative comments about the quality of the Mavic, the number of malfunctions, firmware bugs, the lack of customer service at DJI, and the many opinions that the video quality is taking a step backwards from the Phantom line. So, I am hesitating.
Please give me your serious summation, both good and bad, of your experience with the Mavic. Can you convince me that it is worth it to purchase a Mavic (rather than going to P4P, for example) ?

One thing to be aware of... it's like when I was a test engineer. I was only exposed to failures, not the high number of successes in the field. As a result, my opinion of our product was serious skewed. typically these forums are for learning and problem solving... and as a result, problems are posted wherein there's most likely MANY more success stories not being discussed.

If possible, it would be best to get your hands on one and decide for yourself. You'll love it ;)

I'm pretty impressed by the build quality, some engineer pulled it apart and was also impressed with the perfection within. Feels pretty solid too. No hardware or software errors yet after 40+ flights aside from updates and calibration. And on top of that I received mine a month after ordering in Oct last year :)

There will always be technical issues with any drone and from what I've read, Mavic is pretty advanced so to me that means more things can go wrong! CS for most companies is pretty shocking but can't speak for DJI 's other than what I've read too.

As mentioned above, people are significantly more likely to post about a fault than a good experience. I might just start a thread on my experience as had never thought to mention it- "40+ Flights In, No Issues"

I have absolutely loved mine. Got mine on Christmas and have over 60 flights and it is perfect!! I have friends who have some of the older Phantom models (P3P) and after seeing the Mavic, are already looking to upgrade. These forums are very helpful and I have learned a bunch but don't forget, they are a magnet for problems and issues that people post about. I have no doubt there are a ton more people that have had no issues and just don't post about how well and perfect their Mavic performs! I recommend it 100%!!

It has been top quality. The build, the performance and the experience. As Jamie says, all you see here are postings around the issues which are few compared to the tens of thousands (if not more) sold and flying around.

You won't be disappointed.

I've been very impressed aside from the lens decentering issue many people have had (waiting on my RMA).

Customer service has been good but i'll still be out 2 weeks.

More people need to think about "whats my mission" before starting to shop. Commercial vs leisure. Portability vs picture quality. Comparing P4P vs Mavic is apples vs oranges and a whole other topic.

I have owned, flown and repaired most every DJI product and I can tell you that the Mavic's build quality, design, flyability, repairability, and bang for the buck are beyond measure. I still have my P3P to bang around in addition to my fleet of other P3's and P4's, and the P3P is a great machine, but once youve flown a Mavic, you might not want to lug around and fly your P3P any more. Just to watch the Mav hover within cm of where it took off from is a miracle. And it's pinpoint RTH accuracy is mind boggling.

As for the P4P and P4P+, incredible machines, but in a different class than the Mav. They have 5 axis obstacle avoidance in Tripod mode, a fantastic camera, fly solid as a rock, and are still a great value for $1499. Add to that 26 minute flight time and it really leads the way in terms of innovation. I think the P4P+ with built-in screen is my favorite drone.

My choices in descending order are P4P+, P4P, Mav, P4, P3P, P3A, P3S.

As for horror stories about DJI's support, it's gotten alot better since last year. You can now actually chat or talk with them if you have 30 minutes to wait, and you will actually get an RMA number emailed to you if the rep thinks you have a problem. Turnaround time on Refresh is 2 weeks, but they still need to get their act together in shipping out new orders. Nobody likes to get the runaround, it's not fun for the customer, and makes the manufacturer look bad too. DJI is going to sell a million drones this year and make more than $1,000,000,000 bucks. A little bit better communication with their customers and a little less "your order will ship with 4-5 days" nonsense would be nice. 4-5 days to DJI means more like 2-3 weeks, or whenever they have them to send.

More people need to think about "whats my mission" before starting to shop. Commercial vs leisure. Portability vs picture quality. Comparing P4P vs Mavic is apples vs oranges and a whole other topic.

I have owned, flown and repaired most every DJI product and I can tell you that the Mavic's build quality, design, flyability, repairability, and bang for the buck are beyond measure. I still have my P3P to bang around in addition to my fleet of other P3's and P4's, and the P3P is a great machine, but once youve flown a Mavic, you might not want to lug around and fly your P3P any more. Just to watch the Mav hover within cm of where it took off from is a miracle. And it's pinpoint RTH accuracy is mind boggling.

As for the P4P and P4P+, incredible machines, but in a different class than the Mav. They have 5 axis obstacle avoidance in Tripod mode, a fantastic camera, fly solid as a rock, and are still a great value for $1499. Add to that 26 minute flight time and it really leads the way in terms of innovation. I think the P4P+ with built-in screen is my favorite drone.

My choices in descending order are P4P+, P4P, Mav, P4, P3P, P3A, P3S.

As for horror stories about DJI's support, it's gotten alot better since last year. You can now actually chat or talk with them if you have 30 minutes to wait, and you will actually get an RMA number emailed to you if the rep thinks you have a problem. Turnaround time on Refresh is 2 weeks, but they still need to get their act together in shipping out new orders. Nobody likes to get the runaround, it's not fun for the customer, and makes the manufacturer look bad too. DJI is going to sell a million drones this year and make more than $1,000,000,000 bucks. A little bit better communication with their customers and a little less "your order will ship with 4-5 days" nonsense would be nice. 4-5 days to DJI means more like 2-3 weeks, or whenever they have them to send.

Just wanted to say a loud THANK YOU for a well-balanced and thorough response. I know it takes time, a valuable commodity that seems in shorter and shorter supply these days. Your help is much appreciated!
Calhoun Ranger

I have a Phantom 2 Vision + , and a Phantom 3 Advanced, and last year a Phantom 4, NEVER had a single problem with ANY of them, I was a total novice before purchasing DJI.
Like Calhoun Ranger, I was a bit sceptical about ordering a Mavic, to whether I was going to get any advantages over my other drones I own.
But after my experience with the others I was in no doubt (after the Oct release hype) about ordering one !.
I should get mine (hopefully) at the end of this week after 6 weeks of waiting for it from my supplier !, and it still excites me to the mind blowing technology these things have come to, and the extra things they seem to constantly find in improving them, all this in a very short space of time !.
Just hope that EVERYONE,
WORLDWIDE uses and fly them sensibly.
But more importantly!, do not spoil our hobby.
So that everyone gets the massive enjoyment these things have to offer.

Reactions: Cimriver
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803