DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

I'm curious on that amp. Please let us know your results.

I think it will be a great possibility for a small trailer mounted portable command center with a tip up telescoping antenna.

Reactions: Rnl
Does anyone have links a dc power cable for the dragon amps?

not sure what you mean by that... but it comes with a wall adapter I just cut the plug off of that.. then strip the wires back and there you go :)

I finally got some time to do a more through analysis comparing all the different amplifiers measuring at 34 fixed test points / input dBm levels (past measurements were too narrowly analyzed). The attached graph should finally give a full picture of how each amp performs across its receiver sensitivity ranges. And a few unexpected results were uncovered. I ran all the tests 3 times and it took all eff'n day :)

I also found a new amp that I have not seen used or mentioned before. It is very promising albeit very large physically (called "Wii"). Pictures are attached.

PS- you probably remember that all the amp's in this Wi-Fi class hardware state max inout power of 20 dBm. I drove each amp well past that limit and you can see the trends. And the new Wii amp has a protection shutoff when you exceed 21 dBm and it just passes the signal without amplification at that point. I am really liking the performance of this new Wii unit.

dronemods-2018-070.png

dronemods-2018-073.png dronemods-2018-072.png dronemods-2018-071.png

Just finished the RX gain report. Again, the 8W off-brand amp blew away the competition for RX gain. No real surprises here, but notice RX gain fades off for all amps around -75dBm. But this is moot, because you only take advantage of the RX gain between RSSI of -75 to -95dBm. My test equipment was not able to get any meaningful data lower than -81dBm because of interference from the noise floor, but you can clearly see the trend below -81.

dronemods-2018-074.png

Until we get more stick time with the new Wii amp, this data along with the prior posts re-confirms that your best RC configuration is using the Dragon amp on the TX/RX-Combo port, and the 8W amp on the RX-only port.

I have procured 3 of the "8W" amps and all of them perform exactly the same. There have been a couple reports of an 8W that far outperforms what I have reported. Until I can get one of these in my hands for testing, I have no evidence to back these claims. PM me if you would like to send me your unit for testing/validation.

Reactions: Texas Mavic and Rnl
A1D90646-CAAF-47E1-B2BD-4D7FAFB1CBA0.jpeg
mnoutdoors did you get your amps.
I did and I already sent it back it was not what they claimed tested 21dbm cold and got worse as it warmed up
16dbm. Had some poor workmanship pretty much packed and ready to head back to tree country in Minnesota

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hussy112233