DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

That picture was of an old design configuration. The group has made several improvements since then (but they are scattered across several threads). I will try to get an updated bird put together soon and document all the parts.

Looking forward to the latest design parts list, thanks.

Mavic Radio System Observations 3.2
Aircraft and remote controller new baseline based on variable output.

Reactions: chazz
I can’t answer that, but I think he may have a bad amp with the 8w but I do love what his test says on RX gain and hope that is correct. I’m not smart enough to do that test :)

I just received the amp @mnoutdoors sent me. I also found a another supplier and got that unit today as well. They look identical, but show a different model number on the backside. Anyway, I did some basic tests and they both put out 35.5 dBm at 19 dBm input (I ran up to 24 dBm input, but no increase in output).

dronemods-2018-063.png

It will be interesting to see how this pans out 35.5 is better than the last test at 30.7 in the DBM world 5 is huge

I see what you mean about the cost of LMR900. I guess LMR600 will have to do. I can find Times Microwave LMR600 (not db) at Cart - Free Shipping on Most Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering for what seems a good price. But I was hoping the vendor might have the QMA connectors I wanted also, and it doesn't seem they do (other than "special order" with a longer lead time). Do you know of a good place to get both? (I want QMA connectors because my RC has the Titan Atlas amplifier on it, and with QMA I can just pop off the Titan and plug into the outdoor antenna cable).

Reactions: sea157
Thanks. Isn't there a loss though through each adaptor? SO going from N to SMA to QMA will be more lossy than straight from cable to QMA? Or is this loss insignificant?

.30 dbm but you can’t just just go from a LMR 600 to your controller that’s 5/8” cable! You do want some movement don’t you :)

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the cost of LMR900. I guess LMR600 will have to do. I can find Times Microwave LMR600 (not db) at Cart - Free Shipping on Most Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering for what seems a good price. But I was hoping the vendor might have the QMA connectors I wanted also, and it doesn't seem they do (other than "special order" with a longer lead time). Do you know of a good place to get both? (I want QMA connectors because my RC has the Titan Atlas amplifier on it, and with QMA I can just pop off the Titan and plug into the outdoor antenna cable).

QMA is a speciality custom interface. You won't find commercial products using this. I understand your desire, but if you want a custom rig you will need to stick with N and RP-SMA connectors. You probably can find some adapter fittings somewhere to do the conversion for you. I agree the QMA connectors are cool, just not readily available for custom applications.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out 35.5 is better than the last test at 30.7 in the DBM world 5 is huge

I am sure that first amp was defective and I am tossing it out. I have these 2 new units to continue testing with now.

I also just found this unit and initial tests are strong:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CR6V0GS

I am going to do a new video very soon and re-test all the amps including this newly found unit. I now have a 24 dBm pre-amp and can over drive all the amps now to their full potential output. The last amp video is probably a couple dB short based on the latest tests I performed on the 20 dB continuous carrier broadband amp (that actually tested out short of 20 dBm after the fact).

I also did some preliminary tests on the broadband amp's and see potential using these on the RX-Only ports. More details coming soon.

The next videos in the series will show the receiver sensitivity on these amps and how important this is depending on the applications and the power output from the mavic radios.

9EC6FB55-7A22-4E39-BC6A-B0279D76A36F.png This this one is 20 watt might have to get one for testing :)
It would be a good candidate for a Tower amp ( you know lots of cable loss )

I got it from Alibaba.com supplier ( China direct)

Specifications:

1. Frequency: 2400-2500 MHz.

2. Operation Mode: Bi-directional, half-duplex, Auto-Switching via carrier sensing.

3. ultra low power consumption: 620mA@Pout 36dBm 48V

4. Input Power:8dBm (Min.)-26dBm (Max.).

5. output Power 9~ 43 dBm.

6. EVM: 4%@36dBm 802.l l g 54Mbps OFDM 64QAM BW 20MHz

7. Output Power: 20000mW/43dBm nominal for 802.11b/11Mbps.

8. Connector: SMA Receptacle, 50 ohm.

9. Transmit Gain: 17dB土1 nominal.

10. Receiver Gain: 20dB土1

11. Receive Noise Figure: 2.5 dBm nominal.

12. Operating Temperature: -40 to 70 degree.

13. Operating Humidity: Up to 95% relative humidity.

14. Material: Cast Aluminum.

15. Size:225mm ×12lmmx24mm

16. Weight: 1000g

240.00 US for 1 sample

Got my LMR-600 cable ordered and the pigtails. Found some pigtails on eBay going from N to QMA, which I think will work.

While waiting for that stuff to arrive, decided to look into those Mavic front leg antennas. What kind of antennas are they? They seem dirt simple -- I don't even know how they can work as well as they do. About 2.5 inches long with a single connection point in the middle. Then the coax runs to some kind of board connection -- it that a U.FL connector there?

Would these +6db antennas work better as front legs for the Mavic?

https://www.amazon.com/HIGHFINE-2-4...F8&qid=1523152903&sr=8-3&keywords=2.4+antenna

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer