DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic rain test (inadvertent)

Do you do, or not do, anything to the Mavic after this happens?
I just dry it. I won't fly in torrential downpour. So when I land I wipe it dry with a cloth and use compressed air on the pattern contact points . That's it

Wow - great story -- and one with a happy ending (for a change!). This is really good to know. Not that I would fly in the rain intentionally, but you never know when the sky is going to open up.

I've been caught in rain, not a downpour but pretty good drizzle. I think so long as you don't have water unluckily end up in the wrong crack, its fine. Probably would've been trivial to add a few seals and give it an IP rating of some sort...
fold the ( mod removed) up and whack it in the microwave for 40-50 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UAVMan
it is a stupid view from my perspective but they do a rain test on it. Just jump to 8:30:

The time I got caught in the rain, I chose to leave mavic powered on inside my car for an entire battery.

My theory is that mavic left on gets hot and runs fans. Both seem good for getting rid of moisture.

I would say getting it separated from the battery and dried out was more conducive for best chance of future flight. Not convinced that just being powered is going to keep it warm unless the motors are running.

Got caught in a light bit of rain myself and there were some droplets near the air intake at the front. What worries me is light water damage isn't normally an issue straight away but if it gets near the components and corrodes them, there may be issues down the line. I'm going to take mine apart soon to check for anything obvious.

I know this situation all too well from repairing water damaged Mac's. The customer will nearly always say, well I spilt a little water on it 2 weeks ago and has been working fine ever since and then you find this under the microscope!

Attachments

• image_960.jpg
    image_960.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
Just had an excruciatingly nervy return flight with my Mavic yesterday. 12000 feet out over a bay, rain comes on, spitting at first. Return to home. Rain gets increasingly heavier.

Visions of lost at sea enter the head. Another Mavic flying close by disappears quickly, presumably taken down as soon as rain started.

Mavic returned safely. Footage epic. Worth it.[

I along with a lot of other people cannot wait for your footage. Probably pretty awesome to see through your viewfinder as well. For 30 years I grew up on the bay on the coast of Southern New Jersey and I have to say if there is a small cloud in the sky you can pretty much count that within just a very short. Of time you're going to have Monsoon weather hitting you and slamming you against the wall. So just a little word of warning to you my fellow drone flyer, be weary of Cloudy Skies over the bay. Thank you for your info and again can't wait to see your cool footage. Hope everything worked out well for your drone as well and there wasn't any damage to it. I certainly wish I could fly more than 3000 ft away from my yard and not have to worry about losing the signal but I have not yet got that taken care of. I keep hearing about people flying so far away but yet like I said I can't seem to fly more than 3000 ft away from my home. It's getting kind of frustrating. Just a little vent myself so I guess I'll just learn to get over it. You have a nice day stay safe out there and keep on flying brother..

A weather app would have helped. Plan each flight, look at the app, come in when low pressure begins moving in. :)

I would say getting it separated from the battery and dried out was more conducive for best chance of future flight. Not convinced that just being powered is going to keep it warm unless the motors are running.

A mavic powered on but not flying gets almost too hot to touch. At least mine does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven