DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic survived the NE snow storm

Threshold

Reactions
I flew the mavic from my balcony when the storm arrived. Snow fall was between 2-4 inches per hour. I taped the vents and used the gimbal cover and the mavic came back dry. I will post a vide later.

It's a great video, but I feel you took a huge safety risk. A motor can stall if too much water gets into them. Taping the vents shut can cause the Mavic to overheat underneath the battery. Remember the battery is generating heat to while it discharges. There are two layers of computer boards. The bottom will only be cooled but the top one closest to the battery has no way to cool, and the battery on top of the that won't help either.

Just my 2 cents. Glad it worked out though. It's a great video. I'm in New Hampshire myself too. I'm loving the snow.

It's a great video, but I feel you took a huge safety risk. A motor can stall if too much water gets into them. Taping the vents shut can cause the Mavic to overheat underneath the battery. Remember the battery is generating heat to while it discharges. There are two layers of computer boards. The bottom will only be cooled but the top one closest to the battery has no way to cool, and the battery on top of the that won't help either.

Just my 2 cents. Glad it worked out though. It's a great video. I'm in New Hampshire myself too. I'm loving the snow.

I watched a youtube video of the mavic pro getting soaked with a squirt gun. Based on this and my other flights, I think the snow would have to be wet and heavy to stall a motor. Taping the vents is harmless when the temps outside are below 20F.

Reactions: Gixxer750
I watched a youtube video of the mavic pro getting soaked with a squirt gun. Based on this and my other flights, I think the snow would have to be wet and heavy to stall a motor. Taping the vents is harmless when the temps outside are below 20F.
Probably, but just be careful nonetheless.

Mavic can handle light rain and snow. Anything heavy is a no go. If it's light it'll take it. I would definitely leave the Gimbal Cover on. The vents getting soaked would down it. The Gimbal cover reduces the airflow in making it a little more resistant to water.

In my experience It has come back dry every flight in the snow, I NEVER FLY in anything warmer than 25F when it's snowing. The closer the temp gets to 32, the wetter the snow gets. Wet snow will soak the mavic. Snow tends to become more like sand the colder it gets.

Reactions: AIRJORGE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf