DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic vs Snow Goose

HiKen51

Reactions
Check out what happened when a flock of snow geese flew right at my Mavic Pro. These birds weigh over 5 pounds. I hovered in place, hoping they'd be able to dodge the drone, but ...
When all was said and done, the Mavic was fine, and I got some amazing footage.

It's really tempting to get close the flocks (or gaggles) of birds but that is usually their response. I've found coming in high over the top and then dropping down for the shot is the best bet. They never fly straight up - and you easily can.

It's really tempting to get close the flocks (or gaggles) of birds but that is usually their response. I've found coming in high over the top and then dropping down for the shot is the best bet. They never fly straight up - and you easily can.
Don't worry, I did go straight above them, then descended, got some fantastic footage. I actually ended up rotating the drone in perfect synch with 2 birds that were circling the huge flock. This shot was done later, and when they turned toward me, I decided not to move, in hopes they'd avoid me. The shots of the flock from a distance are amazing, they circle and fly and come together like waves in an enclosed space. I'll post a video later, after I've had time to do some more editing.

Amazing!!

Any damage on the Mavic?
Not a scratch on the Mavic, and the bird was apparently OK too. The Mavic leveled itself and continued filming after the bird did me the favor of turning it around to follow the flock. I didn't have the courage to try to follow them, I brought it right home. I think it was about 1500' away from me at the time.

Reactions: Montypaks
Don't worry, I did go straight above them, then descended, got some fantastic footage. I actually ended up rotating the drone in perfect synch with 2 birds that were circling the huge flock. This shot was done later, and when they turned toward me, I decided not to move, in hopes they'd avoid me. The shots of the flock from a distance are amazing, they circle and fly and come together like waves in an enclosed space. I'll post a video later, after I've had time to do some more editing.
Cool. I've done the same with seagulls. Something almost magical about their flights. Snow Geese much more beautiful.

Reactions: HiKen51
Wow. That is really cool. And awesome that your Mavic wasn’t damaged. Looking forward to the other video.

Here's the link to the video I produced from the day's adventure:
Truly Spectacular, thanks for sharing
Not to be negative but they just expended a lot of energy.
Feeding and rest is paramount during migration
But I loved the video

Wow! Amazing!! But after seeing this video, it is clear you intentionally risked your Mavic for that shot! It paid off though but I now feel less sorry for the collision

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM