DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic worth flying with DJI's app reviews?

cgenius

Reactions
Hi, I'm thinking about getting myself a DJI Mavic Pro. But I'm hesitant because people on the Google Playstore (posting reviews) are complaining about constant app crashes in mid-flight, threatening lawsuits, etc. It appears that DJI is good at hardware but not software. Is it worth buying if I'm gonna have problems with the app?

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
Have had the Mavic for a month or so with multiple flights and have had no issues whatsoever with the app. In my opinion, the biggest downside to the Mavic is the fragile gimbal and subpar method used to keep it safe

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: sonof40
Hi, I'm thinking about getting myself a DJI Mavic Pro. But I'm hesitant because people on the Google Playstore (posting reviews) are complaining about constant app crashes in mid-flight, threatening lawsuits, etc. It appears that DJI is good at hardware but not software. Is it worth buying if I'm gonna have problems with the app?

Not everyone has issues with the app.... I have only had one problem and I believe it was a resource issue on my mobile only had it happen once .. no idea about law suites .... providing you use the Mavic as its designed you shouldn't have any issues eg the auto return to home function works really well so if you loose all connection with the drone it will just fly back to your home point and land. (but please note this is were lots of people get it very wrong as they do not follow the instructions in the FULL user guide)

Lots of the Disconnection reports are also not drone disconnections but mobile device connection issues so the remote control is still connected to the drone but not connected to the mobile device and you can fly the Mavic just fine without a mobile device if flying in line of site.

What device are you planning on using ?

Reactions: Cimriver
Have never had DJI GO crash mid flight on my s7 edge, and very happy with the app itself so I would not pay much attention to the reviews. If you are worried check your handset is on the compatibility list but I would not let app reviews prevent you from buying the Mavic.

Is it worth buying if I'm gonna have problems with the app?
Most people don't have problems with DJI GO. Unfortunately, those same people are not running to the app stores to post their praises. For that reason, the reviews are most certainly skewed.

On a similar notes, it's like wondering why you see so many people discussing Mavic issues here.

Reactions: leesmavic
DJI Go on my Droid Turbo II (Android) works great. I'm sure it varies from phone model to phone model. If your phone is new'ish and has the current version of Android, I think you'll be just fine. If it's older, it may be more hit & miss.

I can speak to some of the negative reviews. I have a Moto Z and DJI GO 4 frequently crashes during flight. I'd say it crashes every other flight. Now, it's not like the drone falls out of the sky during a crash. So there's no reason to panic. Just relaunch the app. The reason people get super agitated is that if you click "re open app" after a crash, it will immediately crash again. The trick I've found to avoid this is to orient your phone into portrait before restarting the app. Then, after the video feed screen is back on, switch back to landscape and you'll be good.

It's certainly true there are issues with the Mavic. I've also experienced lost connections (to the RC) but I chalk them up to flying in the urban bay area, crowded with other 2.4ghz devices. I'd like to see dji improve the software and signal stability (software more likely) so I can have greater confidence while flying but I'm still enjoying it a lot and would buy again.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

I've used both the Nexus 6P and IPhone 6S Plus. I hate to say it. There is no comparison. The iPhone fits it with a slim case and I've had zero issues. The Nexus 6P well the phone had a mic issue which is why I had the chance to use both. Aside from the Nexus 6Ps mic issue. The app crashed a lot and wasn't very speedy. Lagged a lot in simulator etc. This will forever be the case the iPhone is more streamlined. You'll have less issues using iOS and DJI GO 4 etc

Night and day! I won't use an android to fly my Mavic until they iron some kinks out. Not entirely DJIs fault. The way the two operating systems are built is the issue. Android has to support way to much hardware. iOS just the iPhones. The iPhone on average will out perform an android. Not just with DJI Go but anything because of that.

I love Android guys! But that's the truth. Don't try to defend it lol.

If you have to run an Android. I'd probably stick to the Galaxy. Just because it's popular and it's a guarantee that DJI has somewhat streamlined the app for it. Again with iPhone no issues, plug it in and forget it.

I hate Apple, but the same thing can be said about their computers. It supports one type of hardware vs many like windows. Always causes an issue. I use those too lol.

And again this has nothing to do with DJI being good at hardware or software. Android has to support many configurations and chips. The iPhone doesn't. So naturally out of the gate the experience with an iPhone will be better. Eventually DJI will have updates and bug fixes for various issues with various types of androids. Which is why I say to use a Galaxy since those will come first. Guarantee the issues with the Nexus will skate over their heads for the time being. This really isn't a debate about what's better for the Mavic. It's more of a debate about which phone is more reliable in running an app etc. That has been clear for awhile I use both. iPhone 100%.

Example:

Android - Nexus, Pixel, Galaxy, Motorola, LG

iOS - iPhone

The hardware varies on the iPhone as well but only by so little since Apple has a ton more control.

Gurantee Pandora is more solid on an iPhone, actually I know it is. Mini Connected for my Cooper S won't even work with Android and Nexus haha.

This is why. Developers will also tell you iOS is easier to use when designing an App.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Galaxy S4 android 5.0.1, GO 4, works fine, never crashed.

People.. we get it.. you love your iPhones... we're happy for you. Many of us love our Androids.... yay us. The OP gave no indication that he was in the market for a new phone. Obviously he was asking about concerns regarding stability of DJI Go on Android since he referenced the Google Play store.

OP - I think the majority of us on Android do not have any problems with DJI Go. However, it sounds like it is, to a degree, hardware and OS version dependent. You might be better off specifying which phone you have in case someone here has the same thing. They would be able to give you the best advice.

I guess we should keep it on topic, this is a discussion about whether or not to buy a Mavic based on reviews for DJI GO in the android play store not a comparison of iOS and Android.

If it helps I have both an iPhone 6 and an s7 edge so experience in both, but which one do I use with the Mavic, the s7 edge despite the play store reviews.

Also to mention a point in the original post that DJI is good at hardware but not software, in truth having a Yuneec Typhoon H as well as DJI I would say the software from DJI is what makes them better, DJI GO is a masterpiece when compared with anything from Yuneec.

I have been using Galaxy Note 4 with DJI GO and the P3S without a single crash. I think the best advice is to close all other apps and give DJI GO (or GO 4) all the resources. Some also recommend Airplane mode...it not only cuts down on radio interference, but also prevents some apps from annoying notifications and the like.

I have also had lots of issues using the DJI Go app on android devices, (my nexus 6p and various android tablets). Same issues, app crashes all the **** time. On my nexus 6p it crashes and then wont open it again without crashing until I disconnect the usb cable and plug it back in. I accepted long ago the best way to enjoy a DJI product is to purchase an ipad (mini or air2) for the best experience. You can get an ipad mini 2 from ebay for about $150 used, its worth it imo if you want to use your drone with less issues.

First few flights with an iPhone 5S, had one app lock up, subsequent 40+flights with Nvidia Shield no app crashes. Android for me.

I used my Google Pixel the other night for the first time and it gave me "aircraft disconnected." Couldn't reconnect my phone until I rebooted the RC. Fortunately return to home worked as designed and I could land manually.

I have also had lots of issues using the DJI Go app on android devices, (my nexus 6p and various android tablets). Same issues, app crashes all the **** time. On my nexus 6p it crashes and then wont open it again without crashing until I disconnect the usb cable and plug it back in. I accepted long ago the best way to enjoy a DJI product is to purchase an ipad (mini or air2) for the best experience. You can get an ipad mini 2 from ebay for about $150 used, its worth it imo if you want to use your drone with less issues.

I was going to do that before a parted with the Nexus. Only reason I ditched it is they said I needed to send the phone in for 10 days. Okay so I gotta buy a phone either way. Back to Apple, last issue I had was camera no sending it in. Walk into Apple Store done. But I agree I like Android. This isn't a case of me favoring the iPhone. But yeah hate to say it I have had more phones in the last year then some of you people will have in 10. iPhone. The iOS platform is better suited for DJI GO. End of story. If your not willing to switch phones then use a Galaxy again there are solid Androids. But it's a mixed bag.

I was going to do that before a parted with the Nexus. Only reason I ditched it is they said I needed to send the phone in for 10 days. Okay so I gotta buy a phone either way. Back to Apple, last issue I had was camera no sending it in. Walk into Apple Store done. But I agree I like Android. This isn't a case of me favoring the iPhone. But yeah hate to say it I have had more phones in the last year then some of you people will have in 10. iPhone. The iOS platform is better suited for DJI GO. End of story. If your not willing to switch phones then use a Galaxy again there are solid Androids. But it's a mixed bag.

I am curious what was your mic issue on the 6p? Was it that the phone sounded horrible to the other side if you werent using speakerphone? I have that issue on the 6p and its terrible and seems to be a common issue caused by the noise cancellation. i am actaully thinking of canceling project fi because the nexus 6p is a stinker, the pixel xl is way too much and the nexus 6 is getting old.

I am curious what was your mic issue on the 6p? Was it that the phone sounded horrible to the other side if you werent using speakerphone? I have that issue on the 6p and its terrible and seems to be a common issue caused by the noise cancellation. i am actaully thinking of canceling project fi because the nexus 6p is a stinker, the pixel xl is way too much and the nexus 6 is getting old.

Bingo! That's exactly what it was. I was also going to buy a Pixel but chose iPhone since I got the Mavic about same time and I had iPhone before and the Apple Store is near me if I have an issue lol. Call them up if it's under warranty they fix. I just couldn't be without a phone for 10 days and had no back up. I sent mine in. Awaiting replacement then eBay.

Last edited:
I had 3 crashes on my Pixel XL, but I literally just installed straight from Play Store and went flying. Since I have rebooted my phone I have had about 20 flights with zero app crashes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada