DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic yaw drift

My Mavic Pro 1 did this for a while. No matter what I tired it never went away and I would recalibrate everything maybe once a month because the yaw drift would mess up my long exposure shots.. For day to day fl around it didn't really affect my overall shots but the night shots were always understandably blurry because of this.

Fixed mine by using dji assistant 2. Restore default then refresh firmware. Then i calibrate IMU, re link RC, calibrate RC and lastly when outiside calibrate compass
Update. Yaw is back next day i tried this fix. Just temporarily worked. Any fix? Hopefully permanent fix

Mine is yawing around a little. Doesn't matter whether I hover or put the sticks forward.

I noticed today in an open field that of course it was still yawing, but when I put it in sport mode and let it rip when I put the brakes on it would slow down, and then pull to the left towards the end of the point where it starts to hover. It was also yawing as it went down the way, it wouldn't stay straight. Don't think the wind would cause that.

I also have one prop on the left front that the rotor is not flush with the propeller like the other three. It is recessed, maybe the spring is too strong or some other anamoly. I can change propellers and it still is recessed where the others are flush. Not sure if this might be the problem.

I know one day I hadn't figured out which way I was supposed to turn the unit while doing IMU calibration. It just jiratted around yaw spinning on one side instead of hovering. Finally I figured it out, and got it flying again. Just going on a fairly flat, but not bubble level flat process like you're talking about, will get it flying.

After taking the props off, it looks like the one rotor has the spring farther up the shaft, making the prop not go down until it is flush with the top of the rotors. Not sure how the springs get sprung, or if it is really that much of a problem.

Wait a moment, is the aircraft actually rotating? isn't this movement caused just by gimbal compensating for drone movement? my MPP does this too but from what I saw, the aircraft isn't rotating at all when this happens. Not saying it's ok (actually it's still annoying, no matter what is causing it) but just to clarify the reason of this happening.

Hmm...looks like no matter which direction I'm pointing it still pulls to that same direction.

Say I go forward and stop it pulls left, but then when I go backwards it pulls to the right.

The other day it was telling me I need to recalibrate my forward vision sensor, but I think in there it was telling me I need to recalibrate IMU. But looking at IMU, shows ACC0 ok, but a bigger green area on ACC1.

IMG_E0008.JPG
Not sure but the above prop is flush with the shaft as is the other two, but the bottom one the shaft is recessed.

Is that problem? Does anybody know?

Had a funny one.

I flew around with the quiet props and did some footage with the yaw drift still happening.

Then I flew around later when the wind was blowing a little gusty. I changed to the original stock props. MP was holding it's own, but I yawed it around and as one side faced the wind, I could hear at least one of the props really buzzing loud. Then I went up real quick and it went mostly straight up, and winged over to the left side real bad (as opposed to forward, but only hovering) as it was going up. So not only do I have yaw drift to the left when slowing down, now I have some wing over when I go up with the stock props.

So then I flew it up and down a straight away. I was trying to look at something from the previous flight and it was too bright out to actually see it. But as I was trying to focus on the object of interest, I tried pointing to the south, and the MP started yawing back to the north. I tried it several times and it did the same violent yawing. So I moved around a little bit and somehow I got it into an uncontrolled flat spin (maybe a slight weak signal with a possible obstruction) that resulted in it going down and crashing to the ground at about 30 feet (it lost track after that in Go app but could tell me where it was from the home point). Did find the MP landed flat upside down in the dirt and seemingly unharmed as I was basically hovering with a flat spin. Picked it up and starting flying and it was ok.

So went back with the quiet props took some more footage and flew ok.

Then later and still running the remainder of the battery down, I went back with the stock props and did some more testing. Not so much buzzing, but it did wing over when I went up quickly.

Taking the battery out I noticed it seemed to have the dreaded bulge, but small. But I had two batteries that haven't been ran in more than 10 days. Neither one discharged down to below 60%. Held mostly their charge (about 90%). Then when I got home later, I finally put the battery on the charger and left it. When I took the battery off, the bulge seemed to go away and appeared to be flat again. That was also odd.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I would NEVER fly the bulge again.
test Mavic with other batteries and
See if it still yaws crazily..
That bulge battery could be the entire
Problem

Problem
I suspected that I might've had a battery problem sometime ago as it shook with just the quiet props on it, but it wasn't an event per se...

It might possibly explain uneven ESC movement...

Have any ideas about the post #69? It might be a problem in ATTI mode.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I suspected that I might've had a battery problem sometime ago as it shook with just the quiet props on it, but it wasn't an event per se...

It might possibly explain uneven ESC movement...

Have any ideas about the post #69? It might be a problem in ATTI mode.

"it shook with just the quiet props on it,"

What do you mean by this? Have you been running non OEM props?

Problem
I flew the good battery and now that I know there's a problem I can buzz it around in my obstacle rich backyard and still come up with the winging over and one of the props buzzing (under stress?) problem more pronounced on the stock props than the quiet props. I tried several combinations, yaw left and climb, yaw right and climb, go forward and climb, go backward and climb, roll left and climb, roll right and climb. It still has the yaw drift on either one. I did a compass calibration the other day and nothing changed. Doubt doing a IMU calibration will do anything. Somewhere along the way I had the gimbal going somewhere else besides straight with all the unusually violent motion. But my gimbal lock doesn't seem to be doing much when stored, it comes unlached. It is one of these that I have a shoulder strap that is not flat and level the way the drone is stored so that might be part of it.

514xNxQuad-Yaw-600px.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cKlatnCeNt.jpg

Even though I had GPS, I was also noticing some yellow flashes.

Last edited:
After taking the props off, it looks like the one rotor has the spring farther up the shaft, making the prop not go down until it is flush with the top of the rotors. Not sure how the springs get sprung, or if it is really that much of a problem.

Can you verify your odd prop is locking in properly?

Can you verify your odd prop is locking in properly?
Obviously it is locked in enough to not cause the prop to go flying off when the motors are started. There is a little gap under each of the props even when they are locked down. Most of the props down and turn and that's it. This one seems to pop back up when I turn it where it should stop when locked. I don't seem to have the right size allen key to take the top off and inspect it closer. But from what I can see everything looks like it's there, but it maybe concealed as to why it doesn't keep the spring compressed when it is down, turn, and locked.

I have yaw drift too
I just don't care about it anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the same issue. Anyone have soloution?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji