DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 advanced return home flew into tree and destroyed itself. $4000 gone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is starting to develop into a story like Samsung's 2016 release of the Galaxy Note 7. A phone that a) Exploded onto the scene and b) almost exited an airplane, through the fuselage (not really, but a nice hot lithium fire against aluminum alloy could have gotten bad, fast.

For everyone with big, bare limbed trees in the return path of the Mavic 3, it's almost as if we have been holding our breath, waiting for this story, and others like it. Unless DJI gets proactive and patches the Fly App with a "Straight Line RTH" choice, there will absolutely be more stories like this.

I cancel RTH when I fly at home. The final decent through the front of my property, it starts to fly right through a huge tree with no leaves, to Homepoint on the far side. I cancel when it's 12-15 feet out. It's POSSIBLE that it would skirt around when closer, but with a concrete driveway at an altitude of a
10 meters, I don't want to play her wicked game.
That’s what I do to. I just use it when I’m being lazy for the trip home or get nervous. But when close to home I always cancel. All it has to do is a hit twig and it could be costly.

Long before DJI came along, binding was the term used by radio control flyers for what DJI call linking.
DJI more recently use the term binding for something completely different.
Binding is still the generic term commonly used outside of DJI.
Google "bind and fly" to see.
This is now😉 not long ago and we were talking about dji craft. Yes its confusing thats why it came up. But it is what it is on dji craft.

you got the drone back and a Mavic 3 is $2000 not $4000..... what gives? is it the Cine version or whatever they call it?

Reactions: Remy
Considering how many people have urged him to post the flight logs, and he hasn't, it's highly doubtable that he will be back. I find it highly suspicious that it seems to be quite simple to upload the flight logs, but he doesn't seem to want to. More to his story maybe? But, if he does come back, and post the flight logs, maybe we'll see what went wrong.
Listen, not everyone is computer savvy and comfortable searching their drone/SD Card/Computer for files etc. Some of us haven't had the luxury of never knowing life without a computer sitting in our laps. Not everyone has the same experience and skillset as others so let's be courteous and mindful of these things.

Also let's keep in mind that the first rule driving our forum is BE NICE! In the very FIRST paragraph of our Community Rules it states:

"Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all - be nice."

Being nice is NOT an option . . .

I have cleaned a couple of "Fluff" posts from this thread already and hope to not need to do any further. If this random banter and unfriendliness continues I will close this thread and give out "vacations" so let's not go down that road.

Listen, not everyone is computer savvy and comfortable searching their drone/SD Card/Computer for files etc. Some of us haven't had the luxury of never knowing life without a computer sitting in our laps. Not everyone has the same experience and skillset as others so let's be courteous and mindful of these things.

Also let's keep in mind that the first rule driving our forum is BE NICE! In the very FIRST paragraph of our Community Rules it states:

"Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all - be nice."

Being nice is NOT an option . . .

I have cleaned a couple of "Fluff" posts from this thread already and hope to not need to do any further. If this random banter and unfriendliness continues I will close this thread and give out "vacations" so let's not go down that road.
Sorry about that, for some reason, I thought his age was 34. I'm not sure where I got that from and assumed it was likely that he was computer savvy. I mean, normal people don't have a Mavic 3 Cine just for recreational purposes (I assumed). I assumed that most likely, he was a commercial pilot and most likely needed some sort of computer experience. Key word, "assumed". Not exactly a good thing to do. Anyway, I decided to delete my post for said reasons. Again, my apologies.

Most people who fly these drones don’t even know how to read the attitude of the drone in a cross wind, it’s all right there right on the screen.
A-RTH is going to be painful for many pilots, I'm sure.

If you go here and follow the instructions, the flight log link isn't hard to obtain.

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

It's the ONLY way analysis can be done to support any claim you might have with DJI, having the knowledge prior to sending off your drone of flight log to DJI will be good to have.
Sometimes DJI won't even tell you what casued such an incident, either say pilot error (not setting RTH correctly or such) or they just replace under warranty / Care Refresh (if you took it up and use it).

Good luck, you certainly should be doing all you can to avoid losing that $4k !!!

vvvvvvvv

edit typos
I had a big war with DJI over an I2 crash, drone was 5 months old, took off then proceeded to fly itself into the side of my house under a false 21% stick command. DJI said it was pilot error, I said fair enough can you tell me what error I made to avoid this in the future? After a few weeks of war they said can you send us your flight log, I said sure, I sent it, they insisted they couldn’t open it. I wanted the drone fixed on warranty and I wanted to know why it crashed. They kept saying we won’t know that till we see the flight log. Then I pointed out you’ve already told me it’s pilot error, how would you know that if you’ve yet to look at the flight log.

Long story short, warranty is a dirty word at DJI. I’ve experienced their BS for myself, blaming crashes on pilots when they haven’t even looked at the flight log. It is rare to get a destroyed drone replaced on warranty, and it won’t be replaced on warranty with a brand new drone, it will be refurbished. You simply don’t pay the care refresh fee. In fact DJI drones sold as brand new may contain used parts. The only way to be sure your buying a brand new DJI drone with no used parts is to order it directly from DJI in China, or buy it when it’s first launched in the market place.

Everyone who’s waiting to buy the M3, know this, your liable to end up buy this guys drone after DJI fixes it.

Reactions: Suren
I had a big war with DJI over an I2 crash, drone was 5 months old, took off then proceeded to fly itself into the side of my house under a false 21% stick command. DJI said it was pilot error, I said fair enough can you tell me what error I made to avoid this in the future? After a few weeks of war they said can you send us your flight log, I said sure, I sent it, they insisted they couldn’t open it. I wanted the drone fixed on warranty and I wanted to know why it crashed. They kept saying we won’t know that till we see the flight log. Then I pointed out you’ve already told me it’s pilot error, how would you know that if you’ve yet to look at the flight log.

Long story short, warranty is a dirty word at DJI. I’ve experienced their BS for myself, blaming crashes on pilots when they haven’t even looked at the flight log. It is rare to get a destroyed drone replaced on warranty, and it won’t be replaced on warranty with a brand new drone, it will be refurbished. You simply don’t pay the care refresh fee. In fact DJI drones sold as brand new may contain used parts. The only way to be sure your buying a brand new DJI drone with no used parts is to order it directly from DJI in China, or buy it when it’s first launched in the market place.

Everyone who’s waiting to buy the M3, know this, your liable to end up buy this guys drone after DJI fixes it.

I've seen very few cases where DJI has disputed a case that wasn't pilot error, and mostly they are replaced with new aircraft. And I've also seen quite a few cases where it clearly was pilot error and they replaced it anyway.

I'm not sure what the problem was in your case but, based on the incorrect assertions and inaccuracies in a lot of your posts, I certainly wouldn't rule out pilot error.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
That’s what I do to. I just use it when I’m being lazy for the trip home or get nervous. But when close to home I always cancel. All it has to do is a hit twig and it could be costly.
So you trust the RTH on a consumer drone more then your own abilities? What is it that makes you less nervous when using the RTH? I’m just perplexed by your statement which seems to get echoed a lot on DJI forums. One of the most common causes of crashes is from using the RTH. Your risking a brand new drone that’s never been crashed or refurbished, even if DJI fixes it on warranty, which they won’t, it will be replaced by a refurbished unit 99% of the time. So in the end you end up with a used drone instead of your brand new one. That’s a crappy way to loose ownership to a brand new drone you know the history for containing no used parts.

Returning to home on your own infers far less risk and is more efficient on battery use. The less work the on board computer must do the less battery power it consumes. Example, battery will last longer with obstacle sensors turned off, it decreases work load, which increases battery.

When your ready to come go up to increase signal strength which decreases chance of a signal loss, and follow the green line in the map it will take you directly to the home point. If tall obstacles are in your way fly around them accordingly. If you do use RTH never take your eyes off the screen and be ready to cancel RTH, literally hold your finger over the cancel button the whole time.

If your nervous then practice RTH on your own with lots of battery, every time a flight mode takes control of a drone the chances for a crash are elevated. These are only $2000 drones don’t put too much trust in their flight modes, and be on your toes every time you use a flight mode.

So you trust the RTH on a consumer drone more then your own abilities? What is it that makes you less nervous when using the RTH? I’m just perplexed by your statement which seems to get echoed a lot on DJI forums. One of the most common causes of crashes is from using the RTH. Your risking a brand new drone that’s never been crashed or refurbished, even if DJI fixes it on warranty, which they won’t, it will be replaced by a refurbished unit 99% of the time. So in the end you end up with a used drone instead of your brand new one. That’s a crappy way to loose ownership to a brand new drone you know the history for containing no used parts.

Returning to home on your own infers far less risk and is more efficient on battery use. The less work the on board computer must do the less battery power it consumes. Example, battery will last longer with obstacle sensors turned off, it decreases work load, which increases battery.

When your ready to come go up to increase signal strength which decreases chance of a signal loss, and follow the green line in the map it will take you directly to the home point. If tall obstacles are in your way fly around them accordingly. If you do use RTH never take your eyes off the screen and be ready to cancel RTH, literally hold your finger over the cancel button the whole time.

If your nervous then practice RTH on your own with lots of battery, every time a flight mode takes control of a drone the chances for a crash are elevated. These are only $2000 drones don’t put too much trust in their flight modes, and be on your toes every time you use a flight mode.

Another post comprising almost entirely nonsense. I'm not even going to bother refuting individual points here.

I've seen very few cases where DJI has disputed a case that wasn't pilot error, and mostly they are replaced with new aircraft. And I've also seen quite a few cases where it clearly was pilot error and they replaced it anyway.

I'm not sure what the problem was in your case but, based on the incorrect assertions and inaccuracies in a lot of your posts, I certainly wouldn't rule out pilot error.
Well, most of us would now say your inconsistent with DJI policy. DJI generic response to a crash is to say, pilot error, if you don’t believe me talk to a DJI dealer. Their default response to a crash involving a drone under warranty and also covered by CR is to use CR. If you take a drone that’s broken to a dealer and simply drop it off for repair they will default the repair to CR, not warranty. They will not consider warranty by default, it will automatically be repaired or replaced on CR. And DJI policy is they choose to repair it or replace it, and the replacement will not arbitrarily be a brand new drone. Are you not familiar with DJI policy?

Sorry for your loss. Anxious to see what the Log’s show so that others here could learn from your experience. That’s one of the reasons for this forum and why it’s so helpful. Would appreciate you completing that request.

I am sorry for your loss.

If you've had a number of other drones without any major mishaps, I'd say you're one of the more lucky pilots on this forum.

None of us are perfect pilots. We may or may not have checked/adjusted our settings to suit the environment (re: your RTH altitude was inadequate, even though you fly in that locale often). We're focused on the task at hand, glancing at telemetry (IMO, unreadable when using a small device screen), we may momentarily lose signal/visual, or catch a tree flying sideways in a POI (M2P), lose signal over water, etc. You fly enough in a variety of locales and sh#t happens.

In order to capture dramatic/cinematic clips, I often fly fairly close to trees, landforms, water and other subjects, flying gimbal down, etc. I've accepted that crashes are possible any time I fly and worry more about the potential challenges with recovery:

Is there cell service?;
Is cell service good enough for satellite view?;
Was I recording video at the time of the crash in a way that helps determine crash site?;
Am I good at identifying tree types by the leaves and branching visible in the proxy video clip?;
Can I upload/analyze flight data (AirData app)?;
Do I know how to retrieve and upload the flight data file to the MavicPilots forum for assistance in real time?;
Is the area I'm flying over accessible by car and/or on foot (or is it on the side of a mountain ridge with heavy tree cover?;
How late in the day am I flying and is there enough daylight for a recovery attempt?;
Am I far from home, unable to return the next day?;
If I can get to the general vicinity, what location devices are on the drone to pinpoint location?; (ArcLightXL strobe/audible, Marco Polo)?;
How long will batteries on the location devices last if/when the internal drone functions cease?;
Did I have the foresight to purchase drone insurance and will it pay out even if I can't locate the drone (for me, yes)?

So, no need or interest in the MavicPilots forum and no need or interest in capturing/retaining/analyzing flight data until now, reaching out in crisis looking for answers. I don't begrudge you for just wanting to do your own thing, but we all learn from other's experiences. We're up to 4 pages of responses and dozens of members requesting the flight data, providing instructions on how to retrieve it and willing to take time out of their day, offering their unique expertise to analyze it, but still no FLIGHT DATA? Help us help you!

Reactions: NG Wildman
Bottom line,
If you want, DJI already offered to get your drone for analysis, and maybe they will replace it with a new drone.
3.jpg

The fact that there is no Flight data, makes the task if not impossible to analyze very difficult. However, we need to respect people's privacy and point of view. I personally do not have a problem with sharing flying data and location but again some people will have a problem with that. I completely respect that.

Independently what happened in this case, I guess the reason why this topic has been a hot topic here and in the DJI forums is because of the fact that DJI does not have an option to disable ARTH.

Reactions: BigAl07
For those of you who depend on RTH this is a good video to help you get out of that dependency. Every M3 crash we’ve seen on this forum so far that I’m aware of while while using RTH. This verifies RTH is not a good reliable way to bring home your drone. Every DJI drone has a history of crashing while using RTH, so we know it’s not perfect. The sensors and AI are not perfect, if they were there would be no such thing as a RTH crash. This drone, as with all DJI drones can and have crashed themselves when using flight modes such as RTH. The best way to avoid a crash while RTH is use the map and fly the drone yourself. Familiarize yourself with the map, how to use and read it. The sensors may not see power lines or branches with no leaves, this is described in the M3 manual. The sensors need contrast, a small grey branch on a low light cloudy grey day will be hard for a sensor to pick up. They still advise against flight over water with the M3. This M3 will in fact fly itself into the top of a tree while in RTH mode under imperfect conditions. This M3 can and will crash itself in RTH mode. DJI warns us of the limitations of the obstacle sensors right in the manual.

It’s best to avoid RTH mode and know how to RTH on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise