DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 advanced return home flew into tree and destroyed itself. $4000 gone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copy and pasted directly from DJI M3 manual...

“Be aware of small or fine objects (such as tree branches or power lines) or transparent objects (such as water or glass) during RTH. Exit RTH and control the aircraft manually in an emergency.”

DJI will call this crash pilot error as the pilot didn’t take over manual control of the craft during an emergency. The pilot let the craft stay in auto RTH flight mode letting the drone crash into the top of a tree, instead of taking manual control in an emergency. Is it not an emergency when you can see in the live view the drone is about to crash itself into the top of a tree? DJI says to be ready to cancel RTH in an emergency, and the crash can happen fast, be alert and ready to take command at all times while in RTH. If it even looks the least bit iffy cancel RTH and take manual control. If you fail to do this DJI will ding you for a care refresh job.

I’m very disappointed to hear of this type of accident because I too fly an M3 and an Air2S. I’ve used ARTH on the M3 often and without problems so far. I can’t speak to what the OP’s actions were because I don’t know yet, but I will point out that there are a number of user actions that could contribute to such an accident. As a flier, I know firsthand I might be adamant that I did or did not do something until I see the log contradict me. I will say this, it is too early to conclude “No question in my mind that the new Advanced RTH is disaterously flawed and should not be used.” The OP has not posted his flight log yet and that will go a long way in answering some of the outstanding questions. Some questions that come to my mind about this accident are: (a) how far from home was the drone when the OP activated RTH?; (b) was the OP viewing the camera and observed the tree while returning in ARTH?; (c) was the drone in Sport mode (ObsAdv off)?; (d) what was the return to home altitude set at (in case ARTH failed and it automatically went into straight line)?; (e) is it possible OP was pushing forward on the right (pitch) stick to increase speed? (May not be able to avoid obstacles if speed is too great). Again, I’m not pre-judging the OP’s actions, and I hope that he will post his log so the more experienced members here can analyze it. Safe and happy flying!

Well, most of us would now say your inconsistent with DJI policy. DJI generic response to a crash is to say, pilot error, if you don’t believe me talk to a DJI dealer. Their default response to a crash involving a drone under warranty and also covered by CR is to use CR. If you take a drone that’s broken to a dealer and simply drop it off for repair they will default the repair to CR, not warranty. They will not consider warranty by default, it will automatically be repaired or replaced on CR. And DJI policy is they choose to repair it or replace it, and the replacement will not arbitrarily be a brand new drone. Are you not familiar with DJI policy?

I'm a lot more familiar with it than you are, apparently.

I’m very disappointed to hear of this type of accident because I too fly an M3 and an Air2S. I’ve used ARTH on the M3 often and without problems so far. I can’t speak to what the OP’s actions were because I don’t know yet, but I will point out that there are a number of user actions that could contribute to such an accident. As a flier, I know firsthand I might be adamant that I did or did not do something until I see the log contradict me. I will say this, it is too early to conclude “No question in my mind that the new Advanced RTH is disaterously flawed and should not be used.” The OP has not posted his flight log yet and that will go a long way in answering some of the outstanding questions. Some questions that come to my mind about this accident are: (a) how far from home was the drone when the OP activated RTH?; (b) was the OP viewing the camera and observed the tree while returning in ARTH?; (c) was the drone in Sport mode (ObsAdv off)?; (d) what was the return to home altitude set at (in case ARTH failed and it automatically went into straight line)?; (e) is it possible OP was pushing forward on the right (pitch) stick to increase speed? (May not be able to avoid obstacles if speed is too great). Again, I’m not pre-judging the OP’s actions, and I hope that he will post his log so the more experienced members here can analyze it. Safe and happy flying!
Yes but I can’t help feeling that if this was me and I was adamant that I acted correctly then I would have taken up the help offered here to enhance my case. I could be wrong but Ive seen this before. One thing I do know with the exception of this case and that is, I’ve seen many many dji drones lost to the wind on rth and many many crashes flying under cover when signal was lost and rth kicked in. So far I have not seen a single crash or lost drone under ARTH, but maybe the OP will prove me wrong.

Reactions: zeusfl
Long story short, warranty is a dirty word at DJI. I’ve experienced their BS for myself, blaming crashes on pilots when they haven’t even looked at the flight log. It is rare to get a destroyed drone replaced on warranty,
I’ve seen good and bad experiences posted by pilots regarding DJI service experiences, probably more good ones though.
Your comments above are good reason to share the flight data to get (in my opinion) the best pre armed flight analysis info the OP could before going to DJI.
However, we need to respect people's privacy and point of view. I personally do not have a problem with sharing flying data and location but again some people will have a problem with that. I completely respect that.
It’s not about privacy though, the OP only ever mentions having the skills to get the flight log/ flight log link.
Enough help’s been provided to do this, until that happens, no one can help further.
You can lead a horse to water . . .

Reactions: Cobra193
I’ve seen good and bad experiences posted by pilots regarding DJI service experiences, probably more good ones though.
Your comments above are good reason to share the flight data to get (in my opinion) the best pre armed flight analysis info the OP could before going to DJI.

It’s not about privacy though, the OP only ever mentions having the skills to get the flight log/ flight log link.
Enough help’s been provided to do this, until that happens, no one can help further.
We need to leave all possibilities open, even the possibility the story will don't match the flying log and that is why wont want to be shared. I am not saying that is the case, but we saw that before as well.

Well, DJI has been reported in the past and has a file in the better business bureau of Canada for poor service, they are notorious for it. Any authorized dealer if they are honest will tell you all about it. My crash involved a lawyer and an $8000 drone I ended up leaving at the store for 3 months, refused to go get it for a variety of legal reasons. How is it DJI can release an 8 pound drone capable of zero to 90 in 5 seconds having no clue why it crashed in the first place? In what reality would transport Canada be okay with that? DJI wouldn’t even look at the flight log, which they had because they had the drone, the flight log is also inside the drone itself. Wanted mine, sent it to them several times and insisted they couldn’t open it lol, and wouldn’t pull the copy from the I2 they had in their possession.

DJI never did tell me why the drone crashed, and I felt uncomfortable flying it not knowing if the remote was defective? I had to insure that drone to the teeth before I even flew it again, $5million personal liability. They knew that drone malfunctioned and so did the dealer… he didn’t refuse to look at the flight log or pretend it wouldn’t open. The signal between the drone and RC froze. Why is anyone’s guess?

That really is some serious damage in so many areas. These things just fall apart on any kind of impact it seems.

Hopefully DJI will see the flight logs and do something to get rid of that Advanced RTH nonsense.

Best of luck sir
That is some serious damage, but I’m not sure what situation you are referring to when you say “fall apart on any kind of impact.” Most experiences I’ve read about on social media forums is that DJI drones, at least in the past, have been durable. I’ve only had the Air 2S and the M3. The Air2S seemed to be quite durable. Here, however, the OP said that he “flew hard into near the top of one” of the trees. That appears to be maybe a little more than just “any kind of impact.” Likewise, it may be a bit premature to label this as “Advanced RTH nonsense” without actually seeing the OP’s log. We just don’t know all the facts to be able to call it one way or the other! I can’t say that there’s a problem with the M3 anymore than I can say that the OP committed user error. I just don’t know. I try to make a practice of applying critical thinking, so I do not assume something to be a fact without evaluating the basis. That’s the benefit of the OP submitting his log. I really want to know what happened here because I use ARTH quite a bit with my M3 (thankfully, with no problems so far). Safe and happy flying!

That is some serious damage, but I’m not sure what situation you are referring to when you say “fall apart on any kind of impact.” Most experiences I’ve read about on social media forums is that DJI drones, at least in the past, have been durable. I’ve only had the Air 2S and the M3. The Air2S seemed to be quite durable. Here, however, the OP said that he “flew hard into near the top of one” of the trees. That appears to be maybe a little more than just “any kind of impact.” Likewise, it may be a bit premature to label this as “Advanced RTH nonsense” without actually seeing the OP’s log. We just don’t know all the facts to be able to call it one way or the other! I can’t say that there’s a problem with the M3 anymore than I can say that the OP committed user error. I just don’t know. I try to make a practice of applying critical thinking, so I do not assume something to be a fact without evaluating the basis. That’s the benefit of the OP submitting his log. I really want to know what happened here because I use ARTH quite a bit with my M3 (thankfully, with no problems so far). Safe and happy flying!
Hi Smooth Rhythm,

I think I am referring to the four crash photos/videos I have seen so far of the M3 and each time the camera is hanging loose like a freshly plucked robots eyeball. In a video somewhere on this forum the pilot explains that it was not a super hard impact and that the camera came off due to the major increase in its size and weight in comparison to the drone?

Also worth noting is that if you are going to hit something head on and with speed a tree top is one of your best options. Loads of leafy branches to break the fall and dissipate the energy and also to cushion the drone as it falls. That was my personal experience of a tree top incident, except I had to climb the tree to get my drone back as the branches were so numerous the drone couldn't get to the ground. So zero fall damage.

The ARTH nonsense is based off of all the numerous reports of near misses and now actual crashes due to the new and improved smart version of RTH. That coupled with the sensors and OA reacting to objects that are not there and taking control away from the pilots.

Critical thinking to me in this scenario is that the drone was released too early, it needed more real world testing. I may be wrong and all the incidents reported during the first few weeks of release are all pilot error etc but it just all feels a bit off to me so far.

You absolutely raise great points, this is just my way of looking at it, having returned my M3FMC due to the amount of features missing and the shocking Fly app and the cheap looking controller with no display and half the buttons missing lol.

I may be slightly jaded here, but this is how it all looks to me.

I am glad that you are having a good time with your M3 and I will absolutely be buying one again once the update arrives and many of the current issues and worries and addressed and fixed.

Long story short, warranty is a dirty word at DJI. I’ve experienced their BS for myself, blaming crashes on pilots when they haven’t even looked at the flight log. It is rare to get a destroyed drone replaced on warranty
This is just not true.
The forum has seen many cases of DJI honouring warranty when the cause of the incident was a genuine DJI issue.
And even some where DJI makes a mistake and supplies a new drone when the flight data clearly shows the cause was operator error.
DJI data analysis is generally pretty good, but sometimes mistakes are made and we've had cases where flight data analysis done by members has helped DJI reverse a bad decision and supply a replacement.

DJI communications can be poor.
Your story about them not being able to open data files sounds odd.
If you'd posted it here, I('m pretty sure that members could have worked out the issue.

Reactions: Pietros
I've read ALL of the posts so far. The only thing I have to add is: let's me nice here. And: Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Pietros and BigAl07
This is just not true.
The forum has seen many cases of DJI honouring warranty when the cause of the incident was a genuine DJI issue.
And even some where DJI makes a mistake and supplies a new drone when the flight data clearly shows the cause was operator error.
DJI data analysis is generally pretty good, but sometimes mistakes are made and we've had cases where flight data analysis done by members has helped DJI reverse a bad decision and supply a replacement.

DJI communications can be poor.
Your story about them not being able to open data files sounds odd.
If you'd posted it here, I('m pretty sure that members could have worked out the issue.
Not true? Sounds odd? open this link and read Judy Vs complaint, just another example of DJI getting out of warranty work using the excuse “can’t open the flight log, or it’s corrupt”. It’s just me is it?

Not true? Sounds odd? open this link and read Judy Vs complaint, just another example of DJI getting out of warranty work using the excuse “can’t open the flight log, or it’s corrupt”. It’s just me is it?

I don't know ... pass Judy's flight data on to me and I'll see what I can find

This is stupid, it’s no secret DJI does anything they can to get out of warranty work, come on man who are you trying to convince?

This is stupid, it’s no secret DJI does anything they can to get out of warranty work, come on man who are you trying to convince?
It's obvious that you won't be convinced of anything.
But that still doesn't make you correct.

Reactions: Pietros
I don't know ... pass Judy's flight data on to me and I'll see what I can find
DJI said the log was corrupted, unreadable, and that got them out of honouring the warranty. The salesmen at Omniview in Mississauga ont told me directly DJI doesn’t do warranty work on drones covered by care refresh. If you manage to get them to your pretty lucky he says, they always find an excuse. DJI told me they couldn’t open my flight log, but the dealer could… that got them out of doing warranty work.

Your acting like DJI is one of the most honest tech companies out there, the dealers know that’s not true. They make good drones, but try getting one replaced under warranty when it’s also covered by CR, good luck with that.

Your acting like DJI is one of the most honest tech companies out there, the dealers know that’s not true. They make good drones, but try getting one replaced under warranty when it’s also covered by CR, good luck with that.
I'm acting like someone who did get a warranty replacement, as well as someone who has read of a large number of other users getting warranty replacements and as someone who has helped some users to get warranty replacements when DJI made a mistake.

Guys this thread seems to be going nowhere so I would conclude
all this back and forth with each other before I close it.
dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erechtus