DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 advanced return home flew into tree and destroyed itself. $4000 gone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! My condolences.

Can you provide full details, such as path/angle at RTH collision, this was a disaster waiting to happen with this drone, I have used the RTH many times on my Mavic 2 Pro & always felt confident of a successful landing due to pre-programmed settings making sure no obstacles were in path between drone & landing pad, but with this new "ARTH" this is an accident waiting to happen, & we know pilots on here say just don't use RTH, fly the drone manually from launch to landing, but sometimes it's handy hitting the RTH & letting the drone do its thing, until DJI enable a manual selection of either original RTH or this advanced RTH, this will be one of many Mavic 3 drones becoming wrecked this Winter due to thin branches not being detected or cables/wires in path.

Sorry about the crash.
What speed was it doing when it went into the tree, do you know what it hit in the tree, how far it fell and what it hit on the way down?
Logs?
Can you post the .txt log from the phone, see the instructions on DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and perhaps upload the log to that site then post the link to the processed page here?
The detached arm is not good, if the design is similar to that of the Mavic 2 Pro etc.it looks as if the actual pivot assembly failed and that might be worrisome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had 2 camera issues, both times flew back using telemetry data because I did not trust adv RTH. :(

Rebound the AC, no issues since.

Rebound the AC, no issues since.
What do you mean by "rebound"?
I ask because the normal connecting of the drone and controller by radio waves is normally referred to as "linking" and derivatives thereof. "Binding" and derivatives thereof seems to be used in connection with associating the equipment with the purchaser's DJI account, sort of like a theft insurance, in that the equipment can not be used with an App logged into a different DJI account.

I ask because the normal connecting of the drone and controller by radio waves is normally referred to as "linking" and derivatives thereof. "Binding" and derivatives thereof seems to be used in connection with associating the equipment with the purchaser's DJI account, sort of like a theft insurance, in that the equipment can not be used with an App logged into a different DJI account.
Linked, link, paired. My terminology was wrong.

Can you provide full details, such as path/angle at RTH collision, this was a disaster waiting to happen with this drone, I have used the RTH many times on my Mavic 2 Pro & always felt confident of a successful landing due to pre-programmed settings making sure no obstacles were in path between drone & landing pad, but with this new "ARTH" this is an accident waiting to happen, & we know pilots on here say just don't use RTH, fly the drone manually from launch to landing, but sometimes it's handy hitting the RTH & letting the drone do its thing, until DJI enable a manual selection of either original RTH or this advanced RTH, this will be one of many Mavic 3 drones becoming wrecked this Winter due to thin branches not being detected or cables/wires in path.

"Binding" is the generic term for linking an RC to an aircraft.

@rickcroad sorry for the loss of your drone
i would think that it would be in DJI's interest to find out exactly what the issue was
and replace your drone if only as a gesture of good will
clearly this incident is going to be worrying for others who have purchased the M3

WOW. this is sad. I just put a post in the DJI forums about this case to make more pressured and see if they make the advance return to home optional. I personally use it all the time but the aircraft tosh gently twice small branches. 2 out of 40 probably. All that require is 1 mistake and will end like yours. I hope DJI will replace your drone. We will like to see the Fly log.

Reactions: old man mavic
"Binding" is the generic term for linking an RC to an aircraft.
Ah, I had the impression it was linking, I stand corrected.
BUT does it not then lead to confusion as to how to distinguish between that and the association of the equipment with the owner's DJI account under Flyaway coverage etc..
I am fairly sure that DJI use the term "binding" etc. in connection with the latter. Some buyer's of second hand equipment have run into problems because the equipment remains bound to the original owner's DJI account.

I had a few good RTH’s with my new M3 and some that ended in a hover amongst trees (bypass selected) and needed my input to bring safely home.
I was using the same home point in my yard as I use with my other DJI aircraft (mini, mini2, Air2, Air2s, M2pro and M2 zoom) with no problems with thousands of flights and many RTH’s . I have a lot of experience (none with totally autonomous RTH) and nothing but a few scratches and broken props with all my drones, until this one!!!
My landing site is surrounded by 100’ very visible fir trees ( no twigs) with not much room between (earlier RTH’s had gone between not over).
This was my first RTH that began at a lower altitude than needed to go over the trees. It flew hard into near the top of one of them and began its destructive decent through branches and hard into the ground.
My only input was after the crash putting both sticks down and in to try to stop the thrashing in the tree.
The M3 returns autonomously pretty fast and it’s hard to judge if it’s going to hit something , earlier RTH flights looked scary but I let it go and trusted DJI software and a few times it landed with precision on the mark after dodging around trees.
The old RTH definitely should have been included with this drone, too late for me.
No question in my mind that the new Advanced RTH is disaterously flawed and should not be used. I know it hit the tree autonomously.
Earlier after a few successful flights I turned off the APAS for some close in flying around my yard . The fateful flight was next and I’m not sure of the APAS setting other than bypass, as the wreckage was still communicating and I checked the setting.
It would be an extremely poor bit of programming , if APAS is off, it does not automatically turn on for Advanced autonomous RTH.
The M3 sure seems brittle compared to my other aircraft, not that I have flown them straight into a tree.
The M3 is powerful, fast, great camera great battery endurance but seriously flawed, mine is junk!!! Would love to have one that works as advertised!!!

WOW. this is sad. I just put a post in the DJI forums about this case to make more pressured and see if they make the advance return to home optional. I personally use it all the time but the aircraft tosh gently twice small branches. 2 out of 40 probably. All that require is 1 mistake and will end like yours. I hope DJI will replace your drone. We will like to see the Fly log

Despite my considerable flying experience I have never bothered or needed flight logs and indeed don’t know how to view or copy them. I have emailed DJI but no response yet. All new to me as till now my DJI drones have operated as advertised and any problems I have had were strictly my mistakes.

That really is some serious damage in so many areas. These things just fall apart on any kind of impact it seems.

Hopefully DJI will see the flight logs and do something to get rid of that Advanced RTH nonsense.

Best of luck sir

Ah, I had the impression it was linking, I stand corrected.
BUT does it not then lead to confusion as to how to distinguish between that and the association of the equipment with the owner's DJI account under Flyaway coverage etc..
I am fairly sure that DJI use the term "binding" etc. in connection with the latter. Some buyer's of second hand equipment have run into problems because the equipment remains bound to the original owner's DJI account.

Linking is the DJI term for binding, so you are not incorrect.

Despite my considerable flying experience I have never bothered or needed flight logs and indeed don’t know how to view or copy them. I have emailed DJI but no response yet. All new to me as till now my DJI drones have operated as advertised and any problems I have had were strictly my mistakes.

DJI may or may not give you a definitive answer, but you really should retrieve the flight log at least for your own records, even if you don't want to post it here for analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf