DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 advanced return home flew into tree and destroyed itself. $4000 gone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been testing the M3 RTH features and obstacle avoidance. I've event launched from a tree covered area to "test" the M3's ability to self navigate to a home location, been lucky so far.

I have found the log analysis from Airdata.com to be helpful in reviewing telemetry information as well as the logged informational notices which are also captured by default.

Sorry for the loss

Reactions: MA2 317
WOW. this is sad. I just put a post in the DJI forums about this case to make more pressured and see if they make the advance return to home optional. I personally use it all the time but the aircraft tosh gently twice small branches. 2 out of 40 probably. All that require is 1 mistake and will end like yours. I hope DJI will replace your drone. We will like to see the Fly log.
That's a bit premature since all you have seen is a thread title and a photo of a broken M3.

Despite my considerable flying experience I have never bothered or needed flight logs and indeed don’t know how to view or copy them. I have emailed DJI but no response yet. All new to me as till now my DJI drones have operated as advertised and any problems I have had were strictly my mistakes.

I sent instructions in a private message.

Despite my considerable flying experience I have never bothered or needed flight logs and indeed don’t know how to view or copy them. I have emailed DJI but no response yet.
Trying to determine a drone problem without flight logs is like trying to determine an automobile problem without diagnostic codes (using an OBD-II reader); I suspect DJI will tell you the same.

Reactions: maven4336
I have never had need of flight logs so don’t know where to find them, read them or forward them.
I’ll do some digging.
I’d certainly post them.

I have never had need of flight logs so don’t know where to find them, read them or forward them.
I’ll do some digging.
I’d certainly post them.

If you'll look at the Bold/Bright Blue text in @sar104 signature you might find the answers you're looking for in terms of "Flight Logs". . . .

Reactions: Rpeeps
That's a bit premature since all you have seen is a thread title and a photo of a broken M3.
I have never joined or had need to join a forum and am having a bit of a time understanding how this works.
Bottom line is, I have had many successful flights with thisM3 and some good but scary RTH’s.
This the first time I initiated Advanced RTH from a lower altitude than needed to clear very visible 100’ fir trees (no twigs) near my home point. With no input from me it autonomously flew hard into the top of one.
I then saw and heard the crash and resulting thrashing through the branches to a hard ground impact.
As it was thrashing itself to death falling through the branches I tried sticks dow and in to at least stop it, not sure if it shut down before destroyed!

The absolutely easiest way for you is to click the link below ...

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

If you there scroll down just a tiny bit, they describe where to find the log we need that is stored in the mobile device you flew with.

Once you have retrieved that & have it over to your computer you upload it in the same link ... in the beginning there.

When the log is uploaded you will be provided with a link ... copy that & paste it in here in a new post.

This is starting to develop into a story like Samsung's 2016 release of the Galaxy Note 7. A phone that a) Exploded onto the scene and b) almost exited an airplane, through the fuselage (not really, but a nice hot lithium fire against aluminum alloy could have gotten bad, fast.

For everyone with big, bare limbed trees in the return path of the Mavic 3, it's almost as if we have been holding our breath, waiting for this story, and others like it. Unless DJI gets proactive and patches the Fly App with a "Straight Line RTH" choice, there will absolutely be more stories like this.

I cancel RTH when I fly at home. The final decent through the front of my property, it starts to fly right through a huge tree with no leaves, to Homepoint on the far side. I cancel when it's 12-15 feet out. It's POSSIBLE that it would skirt around when closer, but with a concrete driveway at an altitude of a
10 meters, I don't want to play her wicked game.

I have never joined or had need to join a forum and am having a bit of a time understanding how this works.
Bottom line is, I have had many successful flights with thisM3 and some good but scary RTH’s.
This the first time I initiated Advanced RTH from a lower altitude than needed to clear very visible 100’ fir trees (no twigs) near my home point. With no input from me it autonomously flew hard into the top of one.
I then saw and heard the crash and resulting thrashing through the branches to a hard ground impact.
As it was thrashing itself to death falling through the branches I tried sticks dow and in to at least stop it, not sure if it shut down before destroyed!
hi fellow flyer please dont get stressed about getting your logs onto the forum ,its bad enough that your drone is destroyed ,just have a go as the others have suggested and see if you can get the information being asked for ,the flight annalists on the forum may then be able to throw some explainable light on the subject as to what caused your drone to crash
and if its any consolation i myself would not have a clue how to get that info without the help of other forum members

Ah, I had the impression it was linking, I stand corrected.
BUT does it not then lead to confusion as to how to distinguish between that and the association of the equipment with the owner's DJI account under Flyaway coverage etc..
I am fairly sure that DJI use the term "binding" etc. in connection with the latter. Some buyer's of second hand equipment have run into problems because the equipment remains bound to the original owner's DJI account.
Just a quick comment as this is off-subject and a distraction from the primary thread - Just wanted to point out that currently, when a new user (perhaps bought drone on Ebay) binds an Aircraft to a new/different controller, the database removes association with the original remote and account. The original owner no longer needs to "unbind" or take any action to remove it from their account.

Was this a case of testing RTH Emergency RTH Loss of signal RTH or just not able to fly to homepoint. In order to find this out you would need to post logs and this I’m certain will help others here.

Reactions: shb
Ah, I had the impression it was linking, I stand corrected.
BUT does it not then lead to confusion as to how to distinguish between that and the association of the equipment with the owner's DJI account under Flyaway coverage etc..
I am fairly sure that DJI use the term "binding" etc. in connection with the latter. Some buyer's of second hand equipment have run into problems because the equipment remains bound to the original owner's DJI account.
Binding is “NOT” linking binding is binding to a specific RC and requires confirmation once when first starting up, after that you will see not bound as it searches for correct binding, if it goes away you are bound if it will ask you to confirm.

Binding is “NOT” linking binding is binding to a specific RC and requires confirmation once when first starting up, after that you will see not bound as it searches for correct binding, if it goes away you are bound if it will ask you to confirm.
Linking is the dji term for linking you will see this in the app

I am as wise now as I was then. Thanks for......uuuummmm.....I am not sure.

The link Sar104 provided in post #24 to obtain the flight logs will be a tremendous asset to you in get this issue resolved. Do not just rely on DJI. There are some folks here that are expert at deciphering the flight logs and in most cases tell you exact why the drone crashed. Getting the flight logs is not difficult. Just take your time and follow the instructions.

Was this a case of testing RTH Emergency RTH Loss of signal RTH or just not able to fly to homepoint. In order to find this out you would need to post logs and this I’m certain will help others here.
Just testing as I had successfully before, just push the button to go home.the same home point used for many many returns to home with my other Dji aircraft. If it was loss of signal or poor lightning all would have been well as it would have returned just as I set it up with plenty of clearance (100’ +/-) just how all my other DGI drones return to home safely, unfortunately it thought it could make its way home unaided autonomously. This tree was not twigs but a bushy fir tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv