DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum height we can hear a Mavic?

skan

Reactions
What's the maximum height above ground we can hear a Mavic Pro on the open air?
Is there any acoustic study on the Mavic Pro or Platinum or any other drone at different distances?

I've found some information, but too theoretical for me.
DJI’s quiet new drone could be easier to integrate into everyday life
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20170005870.pdf
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1756829316681868

DJI_Mavic_Pro_Frequency_Chart.png

Last edited:
About 25’

I can’t hear well.
I guess it depends on ones hearing ability.

Then you can't hear the Mavic if it's flying above a third floor?
I was expecting something like a 20th floor. (200ft)

I can hear my pro from quite a ways out and up above. At 400' altitude, it's audible. If it's moving (i.e. not hovering), I'd say I can hear it over 1000' away.

But, I'm listening specifically for it and flying in a rural area.

Reactions: mfc
It depends on the background noise.

If you are somewhere quiet with calm winds you can hear it like the previous posted indicated from 1000’ away at 400’, especially in sports mode.

In the city, or on a fire scene, with lots of noise, mavic can appear completely silent when it’s 30’ high and hovering across the steeet.

Then you can't hear the Mavic if it's flying above a third floor?
I was expecting something like a 20th floor. (200ft)
Apparently you didn’t read my post. It all depends on how well or not well you can hear:rolleyes:

Nobody can answer this question in any general fashion. It all depends on how well your hearing is at the frequency the drone makes it's noise at. It all depends on wind at your altitude and the flight altitude. It all depends on air density at the time. It all depends on ambient noise levels around whoever is trying to hear it. It all depends on the acoustics of the surroundings, as in neighborhoods filled with homes vs. open countryside. In other words .. It just depends..

Reactions: StarChaser
Nobody can answer this question in any general fashion. It all depends on how well your hearing is at the frequency the drone makes it's noise at. It all depends on wind at your altitude and the flight altitude. It all depends on air density at the time. It all depends on ambient noise levels around whoever is trying to hear it. It all depends on the acoustics of the surroundings, as in neighborhoods filled with homes vs. open countryside. In other words .. It just depends..

Of course. It is not whether the pilot can hear it but whether someone who might be annoyed by it can hear it. But a 'typical case' estimate would be and is useful (i.e., if you are x metres from a sensitive child with good hearing, in calm conditions in open countryside, with no ambient noise, would the child notice the drone at that distance?).

Reactions: Drgnfli
In a reasonably quiet area, I can easily hear my MP at 400 feet altitude or distance.
Wind speed and direction also have a dramatic effect on how well (or not) I can hear it.

Reactions: Stevezphoto and mfc
The maximum height from which I can hear it is about 2 meters, because that's how tall I am (with extremely thick socks and boots, standing on a box).

As for altitude, I think that'll vary based on a number of factors and won't even be the same from one day to another.

The maximum height from which I can hear it is about 2 meters, because that's how tall I am (with extremely thick socks and boots, standing on a box).

As for altitude, I think that'll vary based on a number of factors and won't even be the same from one day to another.

Altitude is measured above sea level.
Height it's measured above whatever reference you want, and we are interested on height above terrain.

We as humans naturally tune out the base ambient noise level. Flying a drone has shown me how much ambient noise varies. Sometimes I can hear it at maximum height and some distance away. Other times, like at a beach with waves, the noise disappears in seconds after takeoff. In the real world ... It just depends on where you are, and how good your ears are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55