DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Miami Downtown January 11,2022

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This is a 3:26 minute film of scenes of downtown Miami, Florida, USA, filmed January 11,2022 . The film features Mavic 2 Pro drone photography and video, motion lapse sequences with the DJI OM4 gimbal, timelapse sequences using a Nikon D750 DSLR and 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and Really Right Stuff tripod. This was an intermittent rainy day, with squalls alternating with cloudy skies. Editing was done using Adobe Photoshop 2022, Adobe Lightroom , LRTimelapse5, and Adobe Premiere Pro video editing.

Images of interest include the famous One Thousand Museum Luxury Condominium designed by the now deceased Iraqi woman Architect Zaha Hadid.One Thousand Museum rises 62 stories and includes 84 museum-quality residences, with the penthouse starting at $20 million USD. Also of interest is the Port of Miami Cruise Port, the site of thousands of luxury cruise sailings yearly.

As always, your comments, good and bad, are welcomed. Best seen full screen.

Great video! brings back memories, I was stationed at the other end of the causeway on the USCGC Hollyhock in the late 70’s. I had an apartment on south beach a few blocks up from the jetty. It was a getto back then. High dollar real estate now I guess.

Great video! brings back memories, I was stationed at the other end of the causeway on the USCGC Hollyhock in the late 70’s. I had an apartment on south beach a few blocks up from the jetty. It was a getto back then. High dollar real estate now I guess.
You should have bought as much real estate as you could have. Everything there now is top dollar.

Yeah, hind site is 20/20. Back then I was like all young men and only had women on my mind.
I checked out your web site- very interesting, and quirky images. Liked many of them, but being an ophthalmologist, I especially liked the hairy eyeball. By the way, old men too have women on their mind ( but not me of course).

• Haha
Reactions: lilewis and Big Bro
Sweet stuff. Love the transition to the lens corrected perspective. That was a treat.

Ok, I have to ask. Obviously it's like a recipe and I would totally respect you keeping your secret but (lol the all negating but) what settings do you use for time lapse intervals? Yours are sweet and I would love to try some myself.

I enjoyed the whole clip - and paused it to stare at the seagull frame because it is a great photo!

Sweet stuff. Love the transition to the lens corrected perspective. That was a treat.

Ok, I have to ask. Obviously it's like a recipe and I would totally respect you keeping your secret but (lol the all negating but) what settings do you use for time lapse intervals? Yours are sweet and I would love to try some myself.
To Ogre and other interested in my timelapse settings;

Of course you can have the settings. That's what this forum is all about!

There were two types of timelapses in this video, the manual DSLR timelapses, and the automated OM4 motion lapses (there were two).

For the OM4 see the last attachment here- the first and last scene are shown.

Here is how the one was a done automatically with the DJI OM4 gimbal. Also, see the attachment various You Tube videos on this.

1)The DJI OM4 style is automated and done in the timelapse module. There are numerous You Tube videos that show how this is done, but essentially, everything is done in camera. E.g.: no post-processing is needed. You put the OM4 or OM5 on a tripod, use an iPhone set at the timelapse function, pair the iPhone with the OM4 and shoot in the horizontal. At the very top, you will find the settings. I use a 2 or 3 second interval, shoot for 20 minutes, and set the first and last frame using the "+" for the first and last frame. Then start the video with the red button and it will do it's thing automatically. It will automatically generate the motion lapse.

2) The real timelapse is done with the DSLR using the technique of Gunther Wegner of LRTimelapse fame.
(www.lrtimelapse.com)
I use a Nikon D750 with a built in intervalometer. I use a 28-300mm , fF/3.5-5.6 lens zoomed as needed. On this lens I use a Tiffen 6 stop ND filter (ND64) for motion blur. Here are the settings;

Shutter- automatic (A), ISO 100, interval between shots 2-3 seconds depending on the speed of the clouds, and 250 shots. (at 24 frames per second, that would be about a 10 second clip, from which I can selectively edit what I need). I shoot the 250 images in RAW.

On my MAC I open the SD card, drag the file to the desk top, and load the images. Then I open the software (LRTimelapse5.2 currently) and proceed with the entire work flow. For this, you really need to dedicate yourself to learning the program) .The LRTimelapse, together with Adobe Lightroom are used together to edit the 250 or so images.

To specifically answer your exact question, my timelapse intervals vary, depending on the speed of the clouds (in this case, I used a 3 second interval.

Will be more than happy to answer more specific questions in the conversation portion.
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 8.47.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.09.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-15 at 8.49.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-15 at 8.50.22 AM.png

Last edited:
I enjoyed the whole clip - and paused it to stare at the seagull frame because it is a great photo!
That was pure luck! But thanks anyway. Unfortunately it was a screen grab of the timelapse which was at ISO 100 and slow shutter. I was shocked to see it in focus at all.

Nice and thanks for sharing.

Been there, done that with us on the cruise ship leaving port a few times.

To Ogre and other interested in my timelapse settings;

Of course you can have the settings. That's what this forum is all about!

There were two types of timelapses in this video, the manual DSLR timelapses, and the automated OM4 motion lapses (there were two).

For the OM4 see the last attachment here- the first and last scene are shown.

Here is how the one was a done automatically with the DJI OM4 gimbal. Also, see the attachment various You Tube videos on this.

1)The DJI OM4 style is automated and done in the timelapse module. There are numerous You Tube videos that show how this is done, but essentially, everything is done in camera. E.g.: no post-processing is needed. You put the OM4 or OM5 on a tripod, use an iPhone set at the timelapse function, pair the iPhone with the OM4 and shoot in the horizontal. At the very top, you will find the settings. I use a 2 or 3 second interval, shoot for 20 minutes, and set the first and last frame using the "+" for the first and last frame. Then start the video with the red button and it will do it's thing automatically. It will automatically generate the motion lapse.

2) The real timelapse is done with the DSLR using the technique of Gunther Wegner of LRTimelapse fame.
(www.lrtimelapse.com)
I use a Nikon D750 with a built in intervalometer. I use a 28-300mm , fF/3.5-5.6 lens zoomed as needed. On this lens I use a Tiffen 6 stop ND filter (ND64) for motion blur. Here are the settings;

Shutter- automatic (A), ISO 100, interval between shots 2-3 seconds depending on the speed of the clouds, and 250 shots. (at 24 frames per second, that would be about a 10 second clip, from which I can selectively edit what I need). I shoot the 250 images in RAW.

On my MAC I open the SD card, drag the file to the desk top, and load the images. Then I open the software (LRTimelapse5.2 currently) and proceed with the entire work flow. For this, you really need to dedicate yourself to learning the program) .The LRTimelapse, together with Adobe Lightroom are used together to edit the 250 or so images.

To specifically answer your exact question, my timelapse intervals vary, depending on the speed of the clouds (in this case, I used a 3 second interval.

Will be more than happy to answer more specific questions in the conversation portion.
View attachment 142013View attachment 142014View attachment 142015View attachment 142016
Thank you!!! The key for me is the 2 or 3 second interval. I'm good for the technique in photoshop and on the M2P. Where I get hung up is trying to guess at interval. I love the flow of your 2/3 sec clips.

The interval determines how fast the clouds are moving. The clouds move slower with a 2 second interval and faster with a 3 second interval, etc. I try to look at how fast the clouds are moving before setting the interval. If it's a windy day, the clouds are probably moving faster, so I can go to 2 second interval.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
The interval determines how fast the clouds are moving. The clouds move slower with a 2 second interval and faster with a 3 second interval, etc. I try to look at how fast the clouds are moving before setting the interval. If it's a windy day, the clouds are probably moving faster, so I can go to 2 second interval.
I've got a new to me (used otherwise) camera coming in this weekend. It's a BlackMagic Design Ursa Mini 4k. I want to try some time lapses on it. High hopes for some real cinematic footage. It's a lot like the MP2 in as much as it produces a video in camera. Will be processing in Divinci Resolve for the color grading. Will probably use D-log 3:1. If not Prores 4:2:2. Love that prog for that.

I've got a new to me (used otherwise) camera coming in this weekend. It's a BlackMagic Design Ursa Mini 4k. I want to try some time lapses on it. High hopes for some real cinematic footage. It's a lot like the MP2 in as much as it produces a video in camera. Will be processing in Divinci Resolve for the color grading. Will probably use D-log 3:1. If not Prores 4:2:2. Love that prog for that.
Ogre:

I just spent the last 5 minutes reading about the BlackMagic Ursa Mini 4K. It is an amazing piece of equipment. Wow! 80 MB images, 12 K RAW video, amazingly sharp. I think those cameras were only for the film industry! But the reason I went to their web site was for you! I wanted to see if that camera has a built in INTERVALOMETER! I could not find it. If you want to do timelapse, you will need to use an external intervalometer. They are really cheap and available on Amazon. I have two but have trouble understanding how to use them. Best to call Black Magic directly by phone and ask them what intervalometer is supported by the Ursa Mini4K. See screen grab for examples. Hope this helps.

DaleScreen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.37.13 AM.png

Ogre:

I just spent the last 5 minutes reading about the BlackMagic Ursa Mini 4K. It is an amazing piece of equipment. Wow! 80 MB images, 12 K RAW video, amazingly sharp. I think those cameras were only for the film industry! But the reason I went to their web site was for you! I wanted to see if that camera has a built in INTERVALOMETER! I could not find it. If you want to do timelapse, you will need to use an external intervalometer. They are really cheap and available on Amazon. I have two but have trouble understanding how to use them. Best to call Black Magic directly by phone and ask them what intervalometer is supported by the Ursa Mini4K. See screen grab for examples. Hope this helps.

DaleView attachment 142020
Very cool stuff!!! This is an older model. The Ursa line is hard to deceiver. The new Ursa Mini 12K is amazing for sure. Mine is the older 4k (circa 2017) but still produces some amazing images capping out at 4K DCI. It's hard to find information on it already on the web. Everything is about the new 4.6K G2 Broadcast and the 12K. It does have a built in timelapse function. To easily find the function you could look it up under the BMPCC 4k (Black magic pocket cinema camera) which uses the same OS. I very much appreciate you looking all this up for me. In case you haven't noticed, I have adopted you as one of my mentors. Sorry, no application necessary, lol. This is your draft notice. My camera is considered viable for a small production company or independent film maker and not really accepted by MGM and such.

Ogre:

DaleView attachment 142020
Here's an example of the 4k: Used Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K, EF Mount

This is a 3:26 minute film of scenes of downtown Miami, Florida, USA, filmed January 11,2022 . The film features Mavic 2 Pro drone photography and video, motion lapse sequences with the DJI OM4 gimbal, timelapse sequences using a Nikon D750 DSLR and 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and Really Right Stuff tripod. This was an intermittent rainy day, with squalls alternating with cloudy skies. Editing was done using Adobe Photoshop 2022, Adobe Lightroom , LRTimelapse5, and Adobe Premiere Pro video editing.

Images of interest include the famous One Thousand Museum Luxury Condominium designed by the now deceased Iraqi woman Architect Zaha Hadid.One Thousand Museum rises 62 stories and includes 84 museum-quality residences, with the penthouse starting at $20 million USD. Also of interest is the Port of Miami Cruise Port, the site of thousands of luxury cruise sailings yearly.

Great footage

Great footage. Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31