DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Miles

Depends on wind, weather, temperature, elevation, etc. DJI website has specs:

Max Flight Distance (no wind): 18.5 km (11.49537 miles)

Reactions: michaeldallen1
just thought it would have a maximum ive read that some drones are flying three miles
i would:nt be able to see it at half a mile
i suppose then its dependant on battery having enough puff to bring it back home ,
Just as an FYI, during ordinary flight under ordinary conditions, the smart drone and intelligent battery is designed to rth whenever this just enough sufficient battery strength left to bring it home safely. In other words if you take care, you are not supposed to fly so far that you cannot make it back home because you ran out of battery...in general.

HI,
How far can a AIR2S fly ? before its RTH just wondering
That would depend on how you were flying it. Slow and steady gives you more flight time, going like a stabbed rat uses more power more quickly. Auto RTH is determined by remaining battery capacity. It is triggered when the battery dips to 25% (this % can be lowered, but doing so is not a great idea)

Auto RTH is determined by remaining battery capacity. It is triggered when the battery dips to 25% (this % can be lowered, but doing so is not a great idea)
The flight controller is constantly monitoring battery level and distance from home and will trigger RTH when it calculates the battery level is approaching the amount necessary to make it back.

@stikflote my reply was meant to be an attempt at humour ,
as you will have gathered from the replies ,there are so many variables ,that would contribute to the distance

@OMM it did make me laugh, i asked for that it was a silly question,.
I would like to be out flying, weathers good today
But not yet well enough

Reactions: old man mavic
I’m unsure of VLOS laws where you live, but if you’re going to try it, you might consider flying into the wind so you’ll have the wind helping you on your flight home.

The flight controller is constantly monitoring battery level and distance from home and will trigger RTH when it calculates the battery level is approaching the amount necessary to make it back.
Do you know if wind is included in these calculations as well? I notice from flight logs that wind velocity and direction appear to be continuously monitored which is why I'm inquiring!

You also have to consider rapidly changing weather conditions.

If you are going to fly legally in most cases, that is VLOS, then any sudden change in wind conditions can be accommodated and the drone returned to home without much concern.
If on the other hand an operator flies BVLOS (illegal in most instances) then there is always the added concern that prevailing weather conditions may be very different where the drone is located, and a sudden change of remote wind direction and strength may adversely affect the Drone’s capability to make it safely back home!

The reading of battery capacity would be very dependant on the ongoing conditions so the potential is there for a miscalculation based on a sudden change.

Actually, Old Man Mavic may well have been attempting a humorous answer, but technically he is right!

@stikflote ,yes you are right the weather has improved ,from what we have been putting up with lately
where i am Sunday coming is looking promising with regards to both wind speed and temperature ,fingers crossed
hope health wise ,you get out to fly soon ,take care OMM

Reactions: stikflote
Do you know if wind is included in these calculations as well? I notice from flight logs that wind velocity and direction appear to be continuously monitored which is why I'm inquiring!
No, it isn't.
The flyer still has to do some thinking.

The longest range test I could find online was the video below. 4.2 miles, 6.7 KM, 22171 feet before he turned around at 49% battery which seems crazy, but he made it back (must have had tail wind back). Total then round trip would be 13.4KM. Crazy!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock