DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Milky Way Time Lapse Video 17 seconds

Dale, do you ever use the free phone app PhotoPills to help plan your night shoots? If not, do you use some other app?

Dale, do you ever use the free phone app PhotoPills to help plan your night shoots? If not, do you use some other app?
I use Photo pills with every shoot, and have been using it for years. It is invaluable in planning. I paid $9.99 some years ago for it and it is well worth it.

My most used app is SOL. check it out.It tells me the exact time for sunrises, sunsets, etc. for where I am located. Also use Moon Pro to predict moon. Here is a screen shot of SOL.Sol app.PNG

Reactions: PAW
PAW-send me your e-mail in private conversation and I'll attach it to that to see if it works for you.
I think you meant Millbah

PAW-send me your e-mail in private conversation and I'll attach it to that to see if it works for you.

I think you meant Millbah
yes- thanks for correction. I'll send him a private conversation

yes- thanks for correction. I'll send him a private conversation
So PAW, is there any place, like on roads between parks that I can fly showing the beautify mountains? I was hoping that one one of the turnouts, there would be an opportunity at least to put the drone straight up above me for a pano. Then come right back down as fast as I can.

Dale

Thanks for all of your input. I am going to print it all out and follow all of your advise. Here is the certificate I took a test for
Basic certificate, same as me. That puts a lot of places out-of-bounds, either because of flight zones or just too many people (the 30 m horizontal separation rule). (This is why I bought a Mini 3 Pro: to get the shots I can't with my Mavic 2 Pro.)

Even with that certificate, unless you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you will need a Special Flight Operations Certificate in addition to your pilot certificate.

Foreign operators​

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial law and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

As a foreign drone pilot, you need a Canadian drone pilot certificate to operate in Canada even if you are authorized in your home country.

You would also have to register your drone (easy to do, $5). This information is required for the SFOC application.

Beautiful, good memories from my years at sea. Isn’t creation grand. Nicely done. 👍

Great job Dale! For what it's worth, when I watch it on vimeo, the video lasts about :16 and it goes to black but keeps playing to 1:42. Perhaps you rendered the whole timeline and not just the in to out points?

Location - mountain top near Big Sky,Montana

Here is a very short clip of the Milky Way. Last night was the “new” moon. E.g.: NO moon, so the best time of the month to have dark skies to shoot stars. I went to my favorite mountain top, with no houses or lights around within several miles, and spent 3 hours in the very dark wilderness shooting this short clip.
Best seen full screen and sound

Tech
Nikon D750 body
Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8 lens
295 total exposures at f/2.8
10 second exposures with 20 second intervals between exposures.
ISO 1250
NICE!

You would also have to register your drone (easy to do, $5). This information is required for the SFOC application.
Actually, I'm not so certain about that now. Registration is easy, but one of the requirements for registration is that you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. And as a registration number is a requirement for the SFOC which as a foreigner you'd require…

I guess you'd put your American registration number on the SFOC application (assuming you want to fly your Mavic 3).

Might be an idea to query Transport Canada. And definitely apply a long time in advance — they say at least 30 days, but I've heard of it taking several months to get an answer so factor that it.

Nice. I’d to visit the US west to actually see the Milky Way. As well as the rugged landscape.

I use Photo pills with every shoot, and have been using it for years. It is invaluable in planning. I paid $9.99 some years ago for it and it is well worth it.

My most used app is SOL. check it out.It tells me the exact time for sunrises, sunsets, etc. for where I am located. Also use Moon Pro to predict moon. Here is a screen shot of SOL.View attachment 152649
I use The Photographer's Ephemeris. Been using it for years. Haven't tried the augmented reality functions yet because I've only just got a phone that will run it. Love the mapping though.

One thing I like is that it does a terrain analysis and shows sunrise based on where you are, not on a billiard ball. Very useful in the mountains!

There were tons of shooting stars- I'd guess you call them meteors.

This 17 second clip took about 6 total hours! Three hours to shoot from leaving the condo and driving to the site, to the actual shoot, which was a 1 1/2 hours, and 30 minutes drive back. The computer time took another several hours. I would have liked a longer sequence like about 15 seconds, but I would have had to stay there until 2 AM. I was out of the house from 9:00 PM to 1 AM on a dark mountain top in bear county. It was so dark I could barely see my tripod and camera. During the shoot, the Milky Way moved from the left of my frame to the right of the frame.

I tried the Vimeo player at 0.5 speed and it was jittery and the music was off.

Please be my guest and slow them down as much as you want. I could have shot at a slower rate (like a 15 second interval).
Nice timelapse Dale. I can definitely relate to the time and effort it takes to do star photography. If you have never done star photography you may not realize the effort and sometimes the risks involved to get the shots.

My family just got back from a camping trip out to Newfoundland. My son and I left our campsite on a clear night and drove about 30 minutes from our campground to Western Brook Pond (one of the most scenic spots in NL) then walked another 15 to 20 minutes in pitch black down the trail to a location to photograph the stars over the mountains from the pond in the distance. When we got there the clouds had moved in even though my apps had said it was clear skies. We walked back to the main area and it a had cleared a bit to get a few shots off then drove back to our campsite. It was disappointing for us because it was one of the few clear nights we had and was ruined by clouds moving in, but that is the nature of star photography.

Chris

To add to the info Robert has given, another app that is good is the NAV Drone app, but I am not sure if you can use it if you are not a Canadian citizen. Regardless it will tell you whether the location you are presently at is ok to fly at. You can even enter the radius you want to fly etc. The only problem I have with this app is that it does not have any of DJIs latest drones like the Mavic 3 pre-loaded so if you want to add them to the app you have to do it manually (enter specs manually). It has a online web based companion app that you set up first.

As Robert said above, I would not assume that since you have a Canadian Basic Pilot's licence that you are allowed to fly your Mavic 3 here in Canada. Unless the rules have changed recently and I am not aware of them, my understanding is that as Robert has pointed out, you need to have a SFOC to fly any drone >250g here in Canada. The last I heard is that it is very difficult for tourists to get SFOC and that Transport Canada wasn't even giving them out. The only class of drone a tourist is currently able to fly in Canada at the moment right now as has been pointed out is the sub 250g drone.

Chris

To add to the info Robert has given, another app that is good is the NAV Drone app, but I am not sure if you can use it if you are not a Canadian citizen. Regardless it will tell you whether the location you are presently at is ok to fly at. You can even enter the radius you want to fly etc. The only problem I have with this app is that it does not have any of DJIs latest drones like the Mavic 3 pre-loaded so if you want to add them to the app you have to do it manually (enter specs manually). It has a online web based companion app that you set up first.

As Robert said above, I would not assume that since you have a Canadian Basic Pilot's licence that you are allowed to fly your Mavic 3 here in Canada. Unless the rules have changed recently and I am not aware of them, my understanding is that as Robert has pointed out, you need to have a SFOC to fly any drone >250g here in Canada. The last I heard is that it is very difficult for tourists to get SFOC and that Transport Canada wasn't even giving them out. The only class of drone a tourist is currently able to fly in Canada at the moment right now as has been pointed out is the sub 250g drone.

Chris
All he and others have to do is follow what is provided in the video I posted on post #35. Coastal Drones does this for a living, teaching Canadian drone law. They are probably the best in Canada.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Nice video, Dale. Thanks for sharing it. I've been doing the same thing here in Southern California for a couple of years now. One thing though. What everyone thinks are meteors are most likely airplanes. I get a lot of that in my shots too. Sometimes it's a meteor, but usually it's annoying an airplane that's photobombing my shot. One of the sources that I've learned a lot from is a YouTube channel called "Nightscape Images" by a guy named Richard Tatti in Australia. Check it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J