DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 battery not charging

Frosty Of The North

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I have 6 x Mini 2 batteries that I cycle through regularly and recharge using the combo hub/charger after usage. The batteries have all been working well since I bought them right when the Mini 2 was released.

But yesterday, one of the batteries started acting wonky when I tried charging it. While in the hub, two lights blink every couple of seconds but the battery doesn't appear to charge. Also, while comparing that battery to the others, I noticed that another battery (which does charge properly) is very slightly but still noticeably swollen.

Any thoughts or insight about these batteries? It seems that the safe thing is replace them both.

Hi everyone,

I have 6 x Mini 2 batteries that I cycle through regularly and recharge using the combo hub/charger after usage. The batteries have all been working well since I bought them right when the Mini 2 was released.

But yesterday, one of the batteries started acting wonky when I tried charging it. While in the hub, two lights blink every couple of seconds but the battery doesn't appear to charge. Also, while comparing that battery to the others, I noticed that another battery (which does charge properly) is very slightly but still noticeably swollen.

Any thoughts or insight about these batteries? It seems that the safe thing is replace them both.
A swollen lipo is bad news..Get rid of it and replace

Reactions: Pile and bcfd29
Hi everyone,

My first thought is the battery charger is not dis charging properly , that would be a cause for the swelling .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

How many times has the battery been cycled and what does the app say about its health? I can't remember what info the DJI app has about battery health but Litchi gives a percentage value to it, similar to the power manager on a laptop.

Hi everyone,

Flying with swollen battey is highly risky as it tends to go 0% power anytime liek at one moment it showed 60% and other moment it is 0%. Dji recommended storage is 40-60% when not to be used for long time.

Not sure if its temperature related - but if you charge immediately after a flight and the battery is somewhat hot to touch, the charger will blink and not charge until it reaches normal temp again.

Mike

For your information! Do not charge or use a swollen battery. Replace it now! DJI will replace it, depending on the time of purchase, of course!

Reactions: Pile
How many times has the battery been cycled and what does the app say about its health? I can't remember what info the DJI app has about battery health but Litchi gives a percentage value to it, similar to the power manager on a laptop.

62 charges. Everything looks normal according to the DJI app. This is the "swollen" battery. But the more I look at it, the more I'm not sure that it really is swollen. Comparing it to the other batteries there's a very slight curve. Am being overly paranoid thinking about replacing this one?

2022-03-13 DJI Battery.jpg

Flying with swollen battey is highly risky as it tends to go 0% power anytime liek at one moment it showed 60% and other moment it is 0%. Dji recommended storage is 40-60% when not to be used for long time.

Yep, definitely. I'm just not sure with these batteries what would be considered "swollen". See my post above about comparing my batteries more closely.

Not sure if its temperature related - but if you charge immediately after a flight and the battery is somewhat hot to touch, the charger will blink and not charge until it reaches normal temp again.

Mike
Good point, but this happens with the battery at room temperature.

I was looking closer today at the battery that wouldn't charge. Unlike my other batteries, two of the four contact slots don't look like the rest. It looks like something is very slightly off with the contacts. Don't ask me how that would happen but that's reason enough for me to retire this battery.

For your information! Do not charge or use a swollen battery. Replace it now! DJI will replace it, depending on the time of purchase, of course!
Yep. I'm pretty sure the batteries are out of warranty, given that I've had them for about a year and a half now.

Yep. I'm pretty sure the batteries are out of warranty, given that I've had them for about a year and a half now.
You should be able to get at least 200 charges out of them. That's how many times DJI's warranty covers them, or one year, whichever comes first. My three are up to 160+ each and I bought them in July last year. I fly about two hours a day when I do fly and I'm thinking of buying another three batteries to enable my addiction. :) The withdrawal symptons hurt too much between charges.

What lights are flashing on the charger? There's a light diagram in the manual but there's no slow flashing double light code.

If the battery can still fit in the charger without too much of a push, normal position for charging and backwards for storing, then I don't think its too swollen, so give that a go.

You should be able to get at least 200 charges out of them. That's how many times DJI's warranty covers them, or one year, whichever comes first. My three are up to 160+ each and I bought them in July last year. I fly about two hours a day when I do fly and I'm thinking of buying another three batteries to enable my addiction. :) The withdrawal symptons hurt too much between charges.

YOU MUST PERSEVERE THROUGH THE WITHDRAWALS. 😁 I'm no where close to 200 charges but that's spread out over six batteries versus your three. But I am over a year now, so it sounds like I'm out of warranty.

What lights are flashing on the charger? There's a light diagram in the manual but there's no slow flashing double light code.

It's two side-by-side lights that blink. Depending on how you look at the charging hub, it's either the two left lights or the two right lights.

If the battery can still fit in the charger without too much of a push, normal position for charging and backwards for storing, then I don't think its too swollen, so give that a go.

Yep, that battery slides in and out no problem. On its own it doesn't look swollen. It's only when compared closely to other batteries that you can see a slight difference. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Good point, but this happens with the battery at room temperature.

I was looking closer today at the battery that wouldn't charge. Unlike my other batteries, two of the four contact slots don't look like the rest. It looks like something is very slightly off with the contacts. Don't ask me how that would happen but that's reason enough for me to retire this battery.
The terminal damage might be the problem. The battery might not be seating properly. You might be able to use a small piece of stiff plastic to fix/straighten them up and then take care every time you put it into the drone or the charger.

Attachments

• ccc.png
    ccc.png
    62 KB · Views: 10

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird