DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Iphone 6S CPU Overload

rcb

Reactions
After about fifteen minutes flying lately, I now get the CPU overload problem with degraded control. Phone does not seem too warm and is dedicated and everything nonessential turned off. I have read other CPU overload threads but found nothing specifically useful. Any specific ideas as to what might help or model phone is required? Is it really a heat problem or ??? Should I keep it in the freezer? Reload app or delete updates? I bought this dedicated phone since it is on the list as recommended by dji. Thanks for any specific help.

After about fifteen minutes flying lately, I now get the CPU overload problem with degraded control. Phone does not seem too warm and is dedicated and everything nonessential turned off. I have read other CPU overload threads but found nothing specifically useful. Any specific ideas as to what might help or model phone is required? Is it really a heat problem or ??? Should I keep it in the freezer? Reload app or delete updates? I bought this dedicated phone since it is on the list as recommended by dji. Thanks for any specific help.

Have you got cached when recording turned on ?
Make sure no other apps are running in the background etc.

The apple cpu's on the older products are starting to get overloaded by DJI Fly as more features are added to support the MA2 and Mini 2. I get a cpu overload message on my iPad mini 4 when starting up, but so far it hasn't affect video performance.

I'd be turning off superfluous features like histogram, over exposure warning and video subtitles, anything that requires additional processing to the video feed from the AC.

Have you got cached when recording turned on ?
Make sure no other apps are running in the background etc.

The apple cpu's on the older products are starting to get overloaded by DJI Fly as more features are added to support the MA2 and Mini 2. I get a cpu overload message on my iPad mini 4 when starting up, but so far it hasn't affect video performance.

I'd be turning off superfluous features like histogram, over exposure warning and video subtitles, anything that requires additional processing to the video feed from the AC.

I turned "cache" off now but can't find "screen recording" indication. Everything else was off. Hopefully that will help. Thanks

Are you trying to record the screen as well, this will certainly cause problems for the cpu when also running DJI Fly ?
You will have to turn off every other app running.

Any Apple device with the A12 chip will work flawlessly. The older stuff will sometimes get the CPU overload warning. It's not temperature related (Although screen brightness will suffer and will shut the device down in some cases in hot environments). The Fly app is a CPU resource hog especially when you add in tracking, obstacle avoidance, and all the other bells and whistles.

Any Apple device with the A12 chip will work flawlessly. The older stuff will sometimes get the CPU overload warning. It's not temperature related (Although screen brightness will suffer and will shut the device down in some cases in hot environments). The Fly app is a CPU resource hog especially when you add in tracking, obstacle avoidance, and all the other bells and whistles.
Thanks, I had every possible thing turned off except for the cache Now that I turned the cache Off too it seems to work fine. Except that I would like to record the quick shots onto my phone

Are you trying to record the screen as well, this will certainly cause problems for the cpu when also running DJI Fly ?
You will have to turn off every other app running.
No I'm not trying to record the screen. And yes every other app is turned off. I don't find any option to turn screen recording on or off. Thanks.

No I'm not trying to record the screen. And yes every other app is turned off. I don't find any option to turn screen recording on or off. Thanks.

In DJI Fly there is no option to record the screen only to "cache when recording" the video feed onto the phone/tablet.

Yes, I agree. So the question is why does it make such a difference to turn off cache when I'm not really recording anything anyway??? I'm still puzzled.

"cache when recording" is actually recording the video feed comming in to the device, so the cpu is working hard to process the incoming video feed as well as record it at the same time. The only difference to a normal screen recording is that DJI Fly is doing it within the app while in other situations a separate android/ IOS app is doing it (e.g when your recording a game etc.).

Thanks, I had every possible thing turned off except for the cache Now that I turned the cache Off too it seems to work fine. Except that I would like to record the quick shots onto my phone
I have an iPhone 8 and it will still get the CPU message once in a while even while having everything off except the app. Glad to hear it's working fine after turning off the cache for you.

I have an iPhone 8 and it will still get the CPU message once in a while even while having everything off except the app. Glad to hear it's working fine after turning off the cache for you.
Yes, at least I have reliable control and video now. it's a scary thing when you lose all control and video when you're a mile out. But now I have no access to the images that I took with my iPhone. I wish there was a Samsung or other Android phone that I could count on to use with the Mini 2. At least then I could plug the SD card into the phone to see the images.

Yes, at least I have reliable control and video now. it's a scary thing when you lose all control and video when you're a mile out. But now I have no access to the images that I took with my iPhone. I wish there was a Samsung or other Android phone that I could count on to use with the Mini 2. At least then I could plug the SD card into the phone to see the images.

I believe cache when recording only affects the video feed, have a look on the start-up page of DJI Fly, the preview photos should be in the album with an option to download the originals from the drone SD card to the phone.

I also use a 6S and have been having similar problems, albeit about 20-25 minutes into flight typically. Will try turning off cache to see if that works for me as well.

Not sure if it's OK to resurrect and old thread so I'll understand if this gets moved or deleted. New around here.

I've had a Mini 2 for a little more than a week now and have been using an old iPhone 6 (or trying to). Short of doing a factory reset, it's stripped pretty clean, no SIM no nothing. I've disable the things mentioned in this thread but still get the CPU warning about 15-20 minutes into flight. Sort of takes the joy out of flying.

Is there a "fix" for this or should the list of compatible devices be updated to eliminate this generation of phones? As a side note, this was a huge concern of mine that kept me from starting out with the Air 2S and the smart controller, fearing that it would obsolete itself within a couple short years.

PS - I'm flying very short distances in clear sky and very little interference. I'm new to all this and still too cautious to "let the thing fly" until my skills get better and I more fully understand the limitations of the Mini 2 while in flight. If I can't get basic flight time without a huge investment to control it I may return it to Costco before my 90 days is up.

Not sure if it's OK to resurrect and old thread so I'll understand if this gets moved or deleted. New around here.

I've had a Mini 2 for a little more than a week now and have been using an old iPhone 6 (or trying to). Short of doing a factory reset, it's stripped pretty clean, no SIM no nothing. I've disable the things mentioned in this thread but still get the CPU warning about 15-20 minutes into flight. Sort of takes the joy out of flying.

Is there a "fix" for this or should the list of compatible devices be updated to eliminate this generation of phones? As a side note, this was a huge concern of mine that kept me from starting out with the Air 2S and the smart controller, fearing that it would obsolete itself within a couple short years.

PS - I'm flying very short distances in clear sky and very little interference. I'm new to all this and still too cautious to "let the thing fly" until my skills get better and I more fully understand the limitations of the Mini 2 while in flight. If I can't get basic flight time without a huge investment to control it I may return it to Costco before my 90 days is up.
I get the same warning on my iPhone 6. I've just ignored it and have not been aware of it causing any problems with functionality. That being said, I haven't tried testing all functionality while the warning is active. Next time I see the warning (and it's safe) I will try to test a few functions that may be more computationally intensive (i.e.; RTH and Quick Shots).

Hopefully, if I remember to do the test I will also remember to report on the results. ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803