⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I did it in my back yard
And I could only fly in my back yard
Because if I leave my back yard

I am  instantly
In violation of flying over people bvlos and many other things

and there's nothing I can do about it because my front and backyard is just this tiny space
No room to work with

This is mainly to test how good Manuvrability is and it is great
It's nothing like a flying brick unlike the mavic pro and 2

There is virtually no latency at all so you can fly off the screen if you wanted too

But this is literally in my backyard so I saw it the entire time

No you didn't, you were looking at the screen.
You need to be literally looking at the drone with your own eyes to comply with "line of sight".
Question, how did you do those zooms?
Give the kid a break, were getting crazy about this VLOS , if that breaking VLOS , we got troubles,

I have spoken with the FAA many times about this VLOS and I got news for you , That in no way shape or form is breaking VLOS . When I asked the FAA how far I could go, the Number they gave shocked me.

When I asked if it ok to tie my shoes when I'm hovering they said you don't need to be like that. "

If you flying with your eyes on the Drone to comply your missing out on the Warning and the Video.

Kid did a fantastic job. Trying as hard as he can in his backyard.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and Get Real about VLOS>

You need to be literally looking at the drone with your own eyes to comply with "line of sight".
That has been discussed many times on this forum, and that's an overly restrictive and non-sensical interpretation of the line-of-sight restrictions.

You must "be able" to see the drone at all times, does not mean you must be "literally looking at the drone" at all times.

He is obviously aware of exactly where the drone is at every moment within this small space, and he's flying slowly and carefully. What's wrong with that?

No you didn't, you were looking at the screen.
So what's the point of using the dji app to begin with
I SWEAR if this is true I'm gonna SNAP and I'm gonna do what ever I WANT

If I have to LiTtErAlY look at the drone at all times

I SWEAR if this is true I'm gonna SNAP and I'm gonna do what ever I WANT

If I have to LiTtErAlY look at the drone at all times
No snapping just Ignore that post , and move on nicely. You did well by all accounts.
I noticed that there was a open field with some trees , is that idea its not safe to venture out ?

Reactions: davery87
No snapping just Ignore that post , and move on nicely. You did well by all accounts.
I noticed that there was a open field with some trees , is that idea its not safe to venture out ?
I would fly over there but if I did that blvos

I would fly over there but if I did that blvos
Just so I am clear the last video you made where you toured the neighborhood , were you flying from where your at now as i thought you might have been higher up ? I was thinking you would bike over there to the park is that off limits ?

Just so I am clear the last video you made where you toured the neighborhood , were you flying from where your at now as i thought you might have been higher up ? I was thinking you would bike over there to the park is that off limits ?
That neighborhood video I had to okwardly move around to see it
Either that or I didn't exactly know what bvlos then

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That neighborhood video I had to okwardly move around to see it
Either that or I didn't exactly know what bvlos then
Ok that makes sense , so what about walking to the Open Field , is that possible or dangerous ?

• Sad
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You do not need to be looking directly at your drone at all times. That's just silly.

But you, or a visual observer helping you, do need to be able to see it at all times.

You can be focused on watching your screen display on the DJI app, as you were in your video, as long as you are also able to glance up at any time to actually see the drone.

In your video you are concentrating on watching the camera view displayed on your screen. That's fine as long as you always know exactly where the drone is and you are always able to look up and see it at any time. For example, when you flew it closer and closer to yourself, you glanced up to make sure it wasn't actually going to hit you.

If any of your neighbours happened to step out into their backyards while you were flying, you would have heard them or seen them and have been immediately able to see your drone in order to keep it a safe distance away from them.

The danger of BVLOS (beyond sight) is then you're relying only on the camera view displayed on your screen. You can't see what's happening behind or beside the drone. If you were to lose the video signal, you couldn't see what the drone is doing.

You, or an observer, always needs to be able to see the drone and enough of its surrounding area to ensure that it's flying safely and nothing (people, aircraft, trees) is sneaking up behind it.

Making adjustment to settings and the OCCASIONAL glance to compose shots.
I have absolutely no doubt that everyone does glance at the screen to see what the camera is seeing but looking at the screen for prolonged periods whilst the drone is in flight technically illegal.

Have I done it, yes I have but not near houses or people etc. the way you do. I

I am afraid that Zbip57 and me will have to disagree on this.
Unless he can show me where the law sates that it is permissible to do as he says, the legal requirement is, as far as I know, that you are supposed to be looking at the drone.
I believe that if "push came to shove" and you had a crash that had consequences and had been flying looking at the screen then you have legally broken the law which immediately puts you at a disadvantage.

All I am trying to do is warn you etc. I am not berating you, I hope you understand that.
With regards to an observer, if you use one then they are supposed to be looking at the drone with their eyes.

I have absolutely no doubt that everyone does glance at the screen to see what the camera is seeing but looking at the screen for prolonged periods whilst the drone is in flight technically illegal.

Unless he can show me where the law sates that it is permissible to do as he says, the legal requirement is, as far as I know, that you are supposed to be looking at the drone.
I believe that if "push came to shove" and you had a crash that had consequences and had been flying looking at the screen then you have legally broken the law which immediately puts you at a disadvantage.

All I am trying to do is warn you etc. I am not berating you, I hope you understand that.
With regards to an observer, if you use one then they are supposed to be looking at the drone with their eyes.
It's literally right Infront of me
Besides the entire time my body wasn't shown on camera I was looking at it
And I was glancing at it

Give the kid a break, were getting crazy about this VLOS , if that breaking VLOS , we got troubles
I am giving the kid a break, believe it or believe it not I have the kids best interests at heart. I just do NOT want any thing bad to happen to him nor do I want him getting into trouble with the law.
He has already destroyed his MPP in a crash in a flight that, from memory, was near his house.
He has already had an in passing encounter with the cops that scared the 'crop' out of him. How do you think he would feel if them came knocking at the door?
I don't want him to experience that nor do I want the cops to have reason to come knocking on his door.

Last edited:
It's literally right In front of me
It literally wasn't, for the first 45 or so seconds it was literally beside and or behind you. From 26sec to 41 seconds it was to some extent behind you and you are visibly looking at the screen.
Besides the entire time my body wasn't shown on camera I was looking at it
But whilst you were in shot the only time you glanced at the drone was when it was in danger of giving you Bzip57's haircut.

Anyhow it seems I am considered draconian in this thread, that was not and is not my intention.
Fly your drone as you wish, I will say no more.

It literally wasn't, for the first 45 or so seconds it was literally beside and or behind you. From 26sec to 41 seconds it was to some extent behind you and you are visibly looking at the screen.

But whilst you were in shot the only time you glanced at the drone was when it was in danger of giving you Bzip57's haircut.

Anyhow it seems I am considered draconian in this thread, that was not and is not my intention.
Fly your drone as you wish, I will say no more.
Under faa regs I will

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what you've said above. But for the moment I'll assume I understand it and I'm going to disagree with your disagreement on a number of different levels.

Nowhere, at least in the US, is LINE of sight construed to be looking at the drone 100% of the time or even most of the time. VLOS is generally accepted that the drone has to be where you CAN see it, not mandating staring at it. Making complex maneuvers, including yaw and gimbal movement mandate that you're glued to your screen. It is extremely difficult to know what your drone is directly over by looking at it once it's a good distance from you. At some point you won't be able to see which direction the head is oriented until after you move the drone to check [unless you use colored strobes as I do].

I won't belabor the point, but the rule is there to help avoid accidents. But anyone who pilots one of these things knows that the screen gives you vital information that sometimes requires being glued to the screen rather than eyes on the drone, especially if you're in open space.

Reactions: Jam0ne

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure