DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 April potential

EliteBleader

Reactions
How likely is it that the mini 3 will be announced in April? I’m thinking whether to hold off upgrading my mavic mini to a 2 if everyone thinks the 3 is soon.

How likely is it that the mini 3 will be announced in April? I’m thinking whether to hold off upgrading my mavic mini to a 2 if everyone thinks the 3 is soon.
Plenty of speculation but who knows. I'd upgrade and enjoy the mini 2 personally. Actually that's what I did just before the Air 2s came out. There's always something newer and shinier on the horizon !!!!!

Personally I would not buy a 2 because it is exactly the same device as the 1, with only very minor improvements. Same low light capabilities, same sensor, same lens, basically same resolution.
Better transmission and also slight improvement to the wind resistance.

Whereas the mini 3 will not only make the 2 obsolete, but pretty much all current DJIs;
The mini 3 looks to be a major departure in the design, with props never getting into the shot ever again, combined with no more horizon down tilt when flying upwind either. Obstacle avoidance is also a big feature for the sub250gram class.

This design will be used for future Mavic products like Mavic 4, Air 3, and so on.

So use your mini 1 and either buy the 3 in a few weeks, or buy heavily discounted 2s in a few weeks

its really the old how long is a piece of string question
and one thing that you can be sure of ,is that the Mini 3 is going to cost considerably more than the current Mini2 does

its really the old how long is a piece of string question
and one thing that you can be sure of ,is that the Mini 3 is going to cost considerably more than the current Mini2 does
did Mavic Pro 2 cost more than magic pro platinum?
Same for the mini 2 compared to 1.

If the mini 2 was fresh on the market still then I would fully agree with you. However, it was in 2020 when the mini 2 released, and the mini 3 box as well as an actual part of the body have been leaked already, and everything points to a release being imminent so... I guess this is different

Reactions: Torque
@test2000Anafi ,i am basing my reply on two things, when it comes to the price of the Mini3
first the cost of components
second the Worlds economy
it would be very nice if i was wrong time will tell

Reactions: Faster
So use your mini 1 and either buy the 3 in a few weeks, or buy heavily discounted 2s in a few weeks
Dunno about that.

If the Mythical Mini-3 is priced around $600 (my guess), it's not obvious it will impact Mini-2 prices much.

I thought that the Mini-SE would crater the price of used Mini-1s. It may yet do that, but it hasn't happened yet.

The most tempting rumor I've heard is that the Mini-3 will have FPV capability. If that turns out to be true, I'll almost certainly get one.

I've already got Mini-2s, so that's not a choice I have to make at the moment!

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: Torque
Personally I would not buy a 2 because it is exactly the same device as the 1, with only very minor improvements. Same low light capabilities, same sensor, same lens, basically same resolution.

Whereas the mini 3 will not only make the 2 obsolete, but pretty much all current DJIs;
The mini 3 looks to be a major departure in the design, with props never getting into the shot ever again, combined with no more horizon down tilt when flying upwind either. Obstacle avoidance is also a big feature for the sub250gram class.

This design will be used for future Mavic products like Mavic 4, Air 3, and so on.

You spelled WAY better transmission and WAY WAY WAY better wind resistance wrong.

If it is this good then i will buy it. That is after about a month in case of any issues like the mavic 3. Thanks for your detailed reply and imput

Reactions: test2000Anafi

How wrong you are. I had the MIni 1 then upgraded to the Mini 2 which is a world of difference. I posted this last year after owning and flying the MIni 2:
Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the Mini 1 to the new Mini 2:
1. OcuSync 2.0 instead of enhanced wi-fi.
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery life.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. The Smart Controller can be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

How wrong you are. I had the MIni 1 then upgraded to the Mini 2 which is a world of difference. I posted this last year after owning and flying the MIni 2:
Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the Mini 1 to the new Mini 2:
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.

Exactly, to say the 2 was not a gigantic improvement over the 1 is just banana-land

6. 4K video 30 fps.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
Thanks for the detailed reply sir!

That list is pretty cringe to be honest.

Most of the stuff means nothing. Also the fact still remains; same sensor, same lens and optics. Basically same resolution as well. Not paper specs but actual video comparison

The increased bitrate is only for 4K, which the lens and optics do not even process fully as there is no difference visually with the video on the mini 1 compared to 2.

Only buy mini 2 is you need 2 minutes extra flight time, and need to fly BVLOS as the controller comes in handy then.

If you need a drone with better image quality, wait for mini 3

The increased bitrate is only for 4K, which the lens and optics do not even process fully as there is no difference visually with the video on the mini 1 compared to 2.

Only buy mini 2 is you need 2 minutes extra flight time, and need to fly BVLOS as the controller comes in handy then.

If you need a drone with better image quality, wait for mini 3
Unless you have actually flown both the Mini 1 and the Mini 2 you probably wouldn’t appreciate the difference. The Mini 1 was hopeless in the wind. My Min1 lost contact many times within 150 meters (no OcuSync) and initiated RTH. Several times it almost dropped out of the sky (bending props issue) etc etc. While the list is extensive there are many valid points in it.

Unless you have actually flown both the Mini 1 and the Mini 2 you probably wouldn’t appreciate the difference. The Mini 1 was hopeless in the wind. My Min1 lost contact many times within 150 meters (no OcuSync) and initiated RTH. Several times it almost dropped out of the sky (bending props issue) etc etc. While the list is extensive there are many valid points in it.
This changes nothing about what I said. Btw i currently own both mini 2 and air 2s

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne