DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum altitudes for manned craft

• Thread starter Deleted member 94307
  • Start date
Whenever threads like this come up, someone will always make a comment about the 'standard 3* glide slope'. That's an interesting number. A three degree glide slope corresponds to a 19 to 1 glide ratio. If one is flying a typical GA aircraft and is on a 3* glide slope when the engine quits, that aircraft is not going to make the runway. Different people have different approaches to safety, but my flight instructor always told me that when I'm on final approach I should always be high enough to make the runway with a dead engine and a 3* approach angle isn't going to enable that.

Earlier in this thread, there was a post about an aircraft with a 7.5 to 1 glide ratio and how hard it would be to get down from 1000' agl. A 7.5/1 glide ration is a glide angle of a little over 7*. If that aircraft is on a 3* approach and the engine quits, it isn't going to land at the runway. Getting down from 1000' agl isn't hard, it just requires a slip. And every pilot ought to know how to do that.

Nick

Sure - but the point is that 3° is generally what is set on the approach indicators unless the terrain dictates steeper, and so it's reasonable to expect aircraft on that slope. Arguing that some aircraft may come in steeper doesn't change that at all.

Cubs are my favorite planes, we have a club of them at the local airport and they have a hanger where they maintain and are restoring some. Pretty fun to see!
Mine too! Here's mine before I sold it. "I can always buy another one" I said to myself as the guy flew it away. "Cubs are all over the place", I said. Then came the LSA rules and the prices doubled!

j3.jpg

Mine too! Here's mine before I sold it. "I can always buy another one" I said to myself as the guy flew it away. "Cubs are all over the place", I said. Then came the LSA rules and the prices doubled!

j3.jpg
Sad to see that go, looks nice!

Reactions: sdold
I can only fly 100’ AGL near my home due to airport near me. The tower told me that’s my limit

Under 1000 feet 1.5 to 2 miles out landing? Prior to flying 107 When I used to call the airport they were fine with me flying at 400 feet in this location.

I’m sick of the vilification of uavs and believe manned aircraft need to be more strict about the law as well.. it’s a reality that they will be sharing the sky with UAVS. Whether or not UAVS are used recreationally.

Lol, Move over Airliner, UAV coming through!

SAR/FAR/PR Heli's own every inch of Metro sky NFZ or Not if theres an emergency, so it's
kind of a grey area. I just make sure im under 120m and dont move till I cant hear it.

Reactions: strdr
Minimum is zero feet as they must land and take off from zero ;) Crop dusters are at 50 feet or so and in general manned aircraft can fly at any altitude as long as they pose no danger to people. Buzzing crowds or flying low over residential areas is definitely going to cause a problem but I am unsure as to the ramifications.

The same thing happened to me today. I was flying over a dam called “Plover Cove”, in Hong Kong, when a single propeller plane came in for something akin to a dive-bomb, flying in at 70-80 m altitude over the dam. I had started heading lower immediately, but this was a quite close near-miss, and due to a manned aircraft flying unprofessionally low. The area is not near to any airport, but is a very scenic area.

It was to the point I was scared the plane would crash on the mountain in background, but then it turned left and started ascending again. You can see the area of the incident on the pic attached.

74b1d3e9e66f0f204f5a2e1154156152.jpg

The same thing happened to me today. I was flying over a dam called “Plover Cove”, in Hong Kong, when a single propeller plane came in for something akin to a dive-bomb, flying in at 70-80 m altitude over the dam. I had started heading lower immediately, but this was a quite close near-miss, and due to a manned aircraft flying unprofessionally low. The area is not near to any airport, but is a very scenic area.

It was to the point I was scared the plane would crash on the mountain in background, but then it turned left and started ascending again. You can see the area of the incident on the pic attached.

Can you point to the applicable regulations regarding altitude minimums?

The reason I ask is because what you are taught when studying for part 107 is that air planes should be 1000 feet agl except for landing and taking off. A mile out they shouldn’t be lower, but is there really a law they have to follow? Seems like it would be easier to check up in them.

While I was at the location many planes came over and they were all much higher.
What class did you take? Whoever was your instructor is clearly wrong as you are now. This is why it is important for any drone operator who wishes to fly outside of a designated AMA field to have a part 61 license as well. I hope one day they will go back to that. They probably will once Amazon starts flying. The hobbyist will have to remain under a new height lower than what Amazon or other commercial operators will be in. (speculation)

Is it just me or is that an awesome Boat/jet Ski jump waiting to happen.
Some decking a bit of plywood

I might have spent too much tine in GTA, but yes me peronally i would like to see it jumped, not dived upon

Are there rules or laws regarding minimum altitudes for manned aircraft. I was flying about 1.5 miles away from an active class G airport. I was at 400 feet in vlos and heard a plane loud . I quickly came down to 200 feet and a low flying piper cub came over most likely in route to the air port . I am sure he was lower than 1000 feet.
I have seen helicopters low too.

I was shocked, annoyed, scared and glad I was in vlos ......

Hello,
I am a helicopter Pilot around Washington, DC and I can tell you we can fly as low as 500 AGL or structures. If there is nothing around you can go down to inches off the ground and you are
still flying as per FAA rules.

Drone pilots are restricted to the paltry airspace from the ground to 400'. Manned aircraft have all the airspace above that AND within 5 miles of an airport pretty much all the airspace down to the ground. Outside of that 5 miles, given the prevalence of UAS in 2019, manned pilots should remain above 500' unless there is some very pressing need to be below 500'. The FAA should change the rules about flight below 500' in sparsely populated area for manned aircraft. That airspace belongs to drone pilots just as the airspace down to the surface around an airport and above 500' belongs to manned aircraft. And if a manned aircraft collides with a drone below 400' outside of the 5 mile radius of an airport they should be the ones (if they survive) to explain what the pressing need was for flying at that low altitude.

Drone pilots are restricted to the paltry airspace from the ground to 400'. Manned aircraft have all the airspace above that AND within 5 miles of an airport pretty much all the airspace down to the ground. Outside of that 5 miles, given the prevalence of UAS in 2019, manned pilots should remain above 500' unless there is some very pressing need to be below 500'. The FAA should change the rules about flight below 500' in sparsely populated area for manned aircraft. That airspace belongs to drone pilots just as the airspace down to the surface around an airport and above 500' belongs to manned aircraft. And if a manned aircraft collides with a drone below 400' outside of the 5 mile radius of an airport they should be the ones (if they survive) to explain what the pressing need was for flying at that low altitude.

Sorry, but no uncontrolled airspace should belong exclusively to drones. The NAS works perfectly fine the way it was set up. It is rogue and unlawful pilots (both airplane and more often drone pilots) that are causing the issues. The FAA will just tighten the rules on drones if problems get worse, they are second and insignificant compared with manned aircraft.

Planes have been above 120m since 1907.
Stand up for your rights and all, but be a little humble about "owning" that airspace

Are there rules or laws regarding minimum altitudes for manned aircraft. I was flying about 1.5 miles away from an active class G airport. I was at 400 feet in vlos and heard a plane loud . I quickly came down to 200 feet and a low flying piper cub came over most likely in route to the air port . I am sure he was lower than 1000 feet.
I have seen helicopters low too.

I was shocked, annoyed, scared and glad I was in vlos ......
It’s Class G airspace, not airport. It’s Class E airports. Non towered airports are usually Class E5. And no matter where you fly, common sense says stay out of the way of manned aircraft. I am a recreational pilot. But after some run ins with LEO’s I studied and learned Part 107 rules. Education is important in our hobby.

Sorry, but no uncontrolled airspace should belong exclusively to drones. The NAS works perfectly fine the way it was set up. It is rogue and unlawful pilots (both airplane and more often drone pilots) that are causing the issues. The FAA will just tighten the rules on drones if problems get worse, they are second and insignificant compared with manned aircraft.

Set my max altitude to 300 ft... max distance is set to 1.5 miles which is more than VLOS. If more and more people push the limit, there will be more restrictions coming.

Really? Then why does airspace above 400' elusively belong to manned aircraft? And if the NAS works perfectly fine the way it was set up why all the restrictions on drone pilots? Again, give me a compelling reason why a manned aircraft should be flying below 500' other than an emergency, landing at an airport or maybe crop dusting. If we're talking about the realities of airspace usage in the 21st century, with the number of drone operations increasing dramatically and no real compelling reason for manned aircraft to be flying below 500', and if safety is the issue, restrict manned aircraft to above 500' except in the 5 miles around an airport and in case of an emergency. That insures there are no collisions between drones and manned aircraft if everyone is following the rules.

Really? Then why does airspace above 400' elusively belong to manned aircraft? And if the NAS works perfectly fine the way it was set up why all the restrictions on drone pilots? Again, give me a compelling reason why a manned aircraft should be flying below 500' other than an emergency, landing at an airport or maybe crop dusting. If we're talking about the realities of airspace usage in the 21st century, with the number of drone operations increasing dramatically and no real compelling reason for manned aircraft to be flying below 500', and if safety is the issue, restrict manned aircraft to above 500' except in the 5 miles around an airport and in case of an emergency. That insures there are no collisions between drones and manned aircraft if everyone is following the rules.

Most of the uncontrolled airspace between the surface up to 400’ is shared by UAS and manned aircraft. The types of manned aircraft that can legally fly in it include working helicopters (utility inspection and construction, surveys, field crew transportation), paragliders, hot air balloons and blimps, air ambulances, search and rescue aircraft, coast guard aircraft, crop dusters (your exception), law enforcement helicopters, ultralights, military practice (in MOA’s), fire fighting planes and copters, wildlife survey and other research aircraft (USGS, NASA, universities, etc.) bush and float planes, and commercial copters (tours, people and cargo, etc.). Drones must yield and take second seat to manned aircraft in this shared airspace for obvious reasons.

Most manned aircraft have very strict rules, licensing, annual maintenance and inspections, qualifications and registration Why shouldn't drones? They are flying in the NAS as well and don’t even have beacons to announce their presence and registration to ATC (which will probably change sometime sooner than we all realize).

Last edited:
Are there no manned pilots on these forums? Lowest legal height (AGL) for manned aircraft as long as certain requirements are met is 0' AGL! For example, over open water with no infrastructure (i.e. boats, docks, oil platforms. etc.) and no people you can take it down as low as like. Obviously this statement is overly simplified but it is a mistaken preconception that manned aircraft can't fly below 500' except when taking off or landing.

Reactions: sdold and AMann
Are there no manned pilots on these forums? Lowest legal height (AGL) for manned aircraft as long as certain requirements are met is 0' AGL! For example, over open water with no infrastructure (i.e. boats, docks, oil platforms. etc.) and no people you can take it down as low as like. Obviously this statement is overly simplified but it is a mistaken preconception that manned aircraft can't fly below 500' except when taking off or landing.

There are pilots that commented earlier. I’m not, but I did a lot of low elevation fixed and rotary wing survey work under 300’ AGL to the surface for the feds and private firms when I worked as a park ranger and wildlife biologist, thus I have no idea why one would think that UAS should rule that airspace.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000