DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minor crash - change propellers or not?

Today I took off partially under a tree and then flew right into the tree, the drone got stuck, I retrieved it back and flew it one time, it flew okay after that.
However, after checking the propellers, they are fine except that the paint is missing in some parts of the propeller.
Should I replace the propellers or keep flying with the current ones?
I just noticed some paint missing on prop tips as well....as i could not see any damage to the prop i have not changed them....and they work just fine .

Reactions: Yaros
I just noticed some paint missing on prop tips as well....as i could not see any damage to the prop i have not changed them....and they work just fine .
The only time I replace my props is if there is chips or cracks I find on them. If you don’t already preflight your drone and inspect it for any cracks on the props.

Today I took off partially under a tree and then flew right into the tree, the drone got stuck, I retrieved it back and flew it one time, it flew okay after that.
However, after checking the propellers, they are fine except that the paint is missing in some parts of the propeller.
Should I replace the propellers or keep flying with the current ones?
Of course, to be safe change the propellers as you may have slightly bent (twisted) them which would affect your flying. Propellers are cheap compared to the drone so don't take any chances.

Reactions: LoudThunder
There is no doubt. To fly safe replace the props. They are not that expensive. As a commercial pilot ,the very least I would do is replace the props blow out the motors inspect the aircraft carefully and check the battery.

I wouldvthen go to a very safe flight area and costless the aircraft in flight and log the crap out if it.

NEVER put any solvent or oil into the motors!

I agree, in part, oil and dust are dangerous to some motors.

There are special oils for drone brushless motors, mostly used for racing drones.
It's not really needed in our type of uses at much lower revs.

An example . . .

Deuthlon

I certainly wouldn't bother with our types of drone motors.

The question has come up before here on the forum, but was never really cleared if they are actually sealed bearings . . .

Reactions: LoudThunder
Way back, I had a very small crashed. Lost control on landing and it hit a brand new mango tree branch (it was still very soft, and the drone gently felt on the grassy ground (no more than 3 feet)). I picked up the drone, took inside and inspected it. Couldn't find anything. Looked at the one propeller that hit the branch and couldn't see anything wrong. Before flying the next day, I decided to further inspect the propeller under a 3D microscope. It showed signs of stress and small (super tiny) fractures at the edge of the propeller. I decided it wasn't worth it and replaced it immediately. Such tiny fracture can grow with the speed and vibration of the drone (?) Not sure about this, just guessing.

With RPM around 10,000, small issues can make a big difference. And it can happen really fast. And if a blade shatters in mid air, it could cause some major issues not just with your drone.

Having said that, my mini hit a post in my backyard. Took the tip right off on blade, flight was not normal (but it stayed aloft). I landed as soon as possible, and replaced both blades on that arm and the ones on the same side but had no visible damage. Since the other side could not have made contact with anything, I didn't replace those. and it is working 100% fine with more than a dozen flights since.

If you are asking, you should replace it.

Having said that, my mini hit a post in my backyard. Took the tip right off on blade, flight was not normal (but it stayed aloft). I landed as soon as possible, and replaced both blades on that arm and the ones on the same side but had no visible damage. Since the other side could not have made contact with anything, I didn't replace those. and it is working 100% fine with more than a dozen flights since.

If you are asking, you should replace it.
There are two issues with damaged blades. Nicks and dents alter the aerodynamics of the blade causing turbulance noise and vibration whereas missing tips causes out of balance. This in turn causes vibration which can cause stress cracks in other parts of the drone. Unlike the old Phantom blades, there is no way to balance these single props so best to change them out.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
IMG_1317.jpg
This happened years ago and i hung on to the props for demo. I saw the minor chipping and took off, landed 15 minutes later and the cracks were there. Assume the air flow over the chips caused a vibration and the cracks. Our policy is that if the blades contact anything, they are replaced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky