DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor dust covers. Protection or a mistake?

Velocyraptor

Reactions
I see these colorfully dust cover for the motors on the mavic pro and mini. They are supposed to protect the from debris entering the motors. I am more concerned with this covers causing the motors to overheat! Anyone have any opinion or experience to share about this? Thank you

Reactions: Gindra
What kind of debris do you fear is going to enter the motors?

I watched a video very recently where a guy tested motor covers for the mini. He hovered for 20 mins with them on and off and then measured the temperature of the motors with a spot heat measurement device while it was still flying and found virtually no difference in temperature. I don’t necessarily agree with the result because it seems like it should make some difference but his methods seemed legit. If you search the forum for “motor covers” you should be able to find the thread and video.

What kind of debris do you fear is going to enter the motors?
I am not concerned with debris entering the motors. I was repeating what I saw listed as a reason to use these covers. With care and judicious flying the motors should never have an opportunity to have foreign objects in them. Do you believe these covers to be an unnecessary item?

Thank you for the input. I too believe that the dust covers should leadcto higher motor temps.
I watched a video very recently where a guy tested motor covers for the mini. He hovered for 20 mins with them on and off and then measured the temperature of the motors with a spot heat measurement device while it was still flying and found virtually no difference in temperature. I don’t necessarily agree with the result because it seems like it should make some difference but his methods seemed legit. If you search the forum for “motor covers” you should be able to find the thread and video.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Just use a landing pad to stop dust flying around on take-off and landing, that should be enough to protect the motors without the risk of overheating them.
The AL covers would need to be perfectly balanced as well to stop any unwanted vibrations/ oscillations

Yes. DJI would have included them out of the box if they were necessary.
Thought that the motor caps would be a good idea since been reading about them protecting from dust but when you put it that way and with how light and sensitive this drone is regarding weight, i'd rather leave it as is. I already received my pgytech landing pad yesterday so taking off from solid ground (potentially kicking up dust) should not be an issue now.

There are lots and lots of pilots with hours, months, years of flying a drone without motor covers. And experiencing no dust problems.

It is an unneeded farkle. And potential problem. Who is to say the cover doesnt come loose over time and cause a prop failure?

is this the video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard