DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor temperature

Chouser

Reactions
So tonight after flying for about ten minutes I was folding up the MP and the left rear motor was almost too hot to touch, while the other three were warm at best. Would this indicate a bad motor? It was a little bit alarming, to say the least, and now I'm worried about taking it back up again. Should I be?

If it were mine I would fly a couple of low to the ground hover tests and check the motors as soon as you land. If you see the same result then investigate further. Are you operating the Mavic in a hot climate?

If it were mine I would fly a couple of low to the ground hover tests and check the motors as soon as you land. If you see the same result then investigate further. Are you operating the Mavic in a hot climate?
No..76 F. After searching threads relating to hot motors,what's got me concerned now is that every post reported the left rear motor as being the one that was much hotter than the other three.

Like Florida said, do a low hover test and re-check.

You could also get one of the cheap infrared spot thermometers and see just how much it is, if any, above the rest.

One hot motor would def give me pause.

So tonight after flying for about ten minutes I was folding up the MP and the left rear motor was almost too hot to touch, while the other three were warm at best. Would this indicate a bad motor? It was a little bit alarming, to say the least, and now I'm worried about taking it back up again. Should I be?

I run my Mavic on 90° days and the motor temps after a 15 minute flight in sport mode are around 120°. If one of your motors is hotter than the others, maybe some debris got in there and is causing friction. If it's making more noise than the others, something might be wrong.

After searching threads relating to hot motors,what's got me concerned now is that every post reported the left rear motor as being the one that was much hotter than the other three.

In any machine with multiple motors or cylinders, one motor or cylinder will always run hotter than all the others and one will run cooler. I have temped many a Mavic and have not noticed the LR motor getting any hotter than the others.

As others have suggested, get yourself a $9 Walmart temp gun and temp them before the flight and then after the flight. Temp the inside and the outside of the cans.

Reactions: sabre414
I run my Mavic on 90° days and the motor temps after a 15 minute flight in sport mode are around 120°. If one of your motors is hotter than the others, maybe some debris got in there and is causing friction. If it's making more noise than the others, something might be wrong.

In any machine with multiple motors or cylinders, one motor or cylinder will always run hotter than all the others and one will run cooler. I have temped many a Mavic and have not noticed the LR motor getting any hotter than the others.

As others have suggested, get yourself a $9 Walmart temp gun and temp them before the flight and then after the flight. Temp the inside and the outside of the cans.
Found the cause.....burnt coil in left rear motor. I guess now comes the nightmare of sending it in to be fixed. Hopefully the refresh thing I bought will cover it.

How did you determine that the LR motor had a burnt coil? I understand that it was warmer than the others, but how do we determine if the coil is burnt or not?

Burnt coils usually show black instead of copper color.
I took it to the Dji store here in Colorado. The guy took the blades off, looked down into the motor and immediately pointed out the problem. You had to look closely, but it was like the windings had fused together in one spot on one of the coils. Might be a good idea to closely inspect those periodically.

Ewww... What causes this condition? Almost looks like you dropped some lube in there...

Ewww... What causes this condition? Almost looks like you dropped some lube in there...

Operator error. P3A flipped upside down after I hit a girder while I was shooting an indoor RC truck race. Replaced the motor and lived to fly another 100 flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25