DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain Top Landing

bmwbob

Reactions
I was out lying my mini the other day and there's a hilltop nearby I can see with a clear level spot and I was wondering if I could remotely land and take off from there. Assuming the controller would see the mini and allow takeoff, a new RTH location would be created, but I could still fly it home by eye.

Yes you could.

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Will it record a new RTH though, if just landing and taking off again ?
Maybe if motors are stopped, but obviously drone can't be shut down at the remote location.

Just try it landing say 50m away, even on flat ground, as long as the signal is ok.
Try landing, taking off again, with motors running.
Try landing, CSC stop motors, leave it a minute, restart motors, take off.

Fly these options half way back to your location, and press RTH, see what happens, would be interesting.

Of course even if RTH logs a new location and it starts flying back, you can just cancel and fly manually back to your location.

Another thought . . . you could try controller power off when landed and motors stopped
Then, restart the controller, see if that reconnects ok, and then I imagine a new RTH would be recorded ?

Reactions: bmwbob
I was wondering if I could remotely land and take off from there. Assuming the controller would see the mini and allow takeoff, a new RTH location would be created,
Your Mini will keep its recorded home point until you power down the drone.
It would record a new home point when it gets good GPS position data again after powering up.
If you just land and relaunch without powering the drone down, it will still have the original home point.

Reactions: bmwbob
It would record a new home point when it gets good GPS position data again after powering up.
If you just land and relaunch without powering the drone down, it will still have the original home point.
Yeah, I think so too. Also, i noticed that when i start the motors manually and fly directly away, there is no homepoint recorded. Just an impression i have.

i noticed that when i start the motors manually and fly directly away, there is no homepoint recorded. Just an impression i have.
If the drone is out in the open with a good sky view and you wait for satellites to be acquired after powering up, the drone will always record a home point as soon as it gets good position information.

How do you power it down remotely?

The MM will record a HomePoint every time it launches. If the MM lands and then launches without a power down then a new Home Point is recorded. AFAIK this has been the case with all the DJI platforms after and including the P3.

Here is the log from my MM with 3 launches but no power down.
1585853074453.png
And from the eventLog stream

5.333 : 4326 [L-HOME]Update. lati:35.1467052 longti:-120.5787107 alti:136.07
:
87.289 : 8429 [L-HOME]Update. lati:35.1467748 longti:-120.5783514 alti:135.48
:
146.448 : 11390 [L-HOME]Update. lati:35.1466388 longti:-120.5786334 alti:135.52

Also, a HP is recorded as soon as there are enough sats. But, then after navHealth > 3 the HP is updated. Presumably the first HP is just in case a launch occurs before the FC can obtain a precise solution.

Reactions: Dbez1
Also note that you can't land an M2 or Mini without it stopping the the motors. When it reaches about 2ft from ground while commanded to descend, it hesitates. If command to descend continues, it goes into landing mode which includes motor stop.

With the P3, it's possible to touch down but still keep the motors idling, which would prevent an HP being reset. It wasn't recommended to stop the motors with CSC, since the stick maneuver to engage CSC could be interpreted literally before interpreted as CSC, causing it to tip over.

I was out lying my mini the other day and there's a hilltop nearby I can see with a clear level spot and I was wondering if I could remotely land and take off from there. Assuming the controller would see the mini and allow takeoff, a new RTH location would be created, but I could still fly it home by eye.
A I understand it, if you land then with the mini the motors will stop and the new HP is the created. Take off again if you still have connection and reset HP in flight.

Also note that you can't land an M2 or Mini without it stopping the the motors. When it reaches about 2ft from ground while commanded to descend, it hesitates. If command to descend continues, it goes into landing mode which includes motor stop.

With the P3, it's possible to touch down but still keep the motors idling, which would prevent an HP being reset. It wasn't recommended to stop the motors with CSC, since the stick maneuver to engage CSC could be interpreted literally before interpreted as CSC, causing it to tip over.
I'm not sure. I have mavic 2 pro and I think I did it. But I turned landing protection off, maybe that help. And I always fly manually....
So I landed and the motors kept on spinning, you just have to cancel the landing in the right moment.

But anyway, you could just hover there and set a new home point, what avoht that?!

Yeah, I think so too. Also, i noticed that when i start the motors manually and fly directly away, there is no homepoint recorded. Just an impression i have.

As far as I know you have some sort of homepoint.
But If you start like that, you definitely don't get precision landing to work...!

As far as I know you have some sort of homepoint.
But If you start like that, you definitely don't get precision landing to work...!
100% correct! I almost landed in my neighbour's garden after a quick start and a RTH afterwards. Have a nice day.

But anyway, you could just hover there and set a new home point, what aboht that?!
Resetting the home point won't reset your home altitude.
Stopping the motors and restarting the drone records a new home point and resets the homepoint height to zero.

Resetting the home point won't reset your home altitude.
Stopping the motors and restarting the drone records a new home point and resets the homepoint height to zero.
Scary

Previous statements reg. HP and Home altitude settings (Meta4 and others) are correct - at least for Mavic Pro 1 / 2 / Air.
See a weird example to reset Home altitude for MA in this video clip.

Not possible. Can’t start a drone you can’t touch either.
Au contraire. To "power it down," just remotely turn off the motors after landing.
You don't want to turn the battery off.
Remotely restarting the motors then resets the altitude to zero, and sets a new HP.
That's how we have been suggesting mountain climbing above 500m with a Mavic 2.
You need an interim landing spot that still retains full RC control.
Mini may be different.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000