DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mounting Bracket On Belly Of The Mavic

Drope

Reactions
Hello All: I am looking for a way to mount my Lume Cubes too the Mavic. There are some solutions already which consist off slinging printed material over the top off the battery. What i want to do is remove the torx screws that secure the metal heat sync and mount some kind of bracket there. Any thoughts? the problem with current mounting solutions is that there is not enough prop clearance to angle the Lume Cubes at a 45 degree angle toward the ground (which is where i need the focus of the lights). If i could find a proper bracket that didn't interfere with the sensors i think that would be the most efficient option.
Thank you in advance for your insight.

Brent.

You can probably afford to remove and replace 2 of the heat sink screws because there are 8 screws securing it to the frame. I would be careful about weight and balance depending on how much the cubes weigh. It might make the drone nose or tail heavy unless you mount them right at the CG..

Reactions: Drope
You can probably afford to remove and replace 2 of the heat sink screws because there are 8 screws securing it to the frame. I would be careful about weight and balance depending on how much the cubes weigh. It might make the drone nose or tail heavy unless you mount them right at the CG..
Yes: I know CG is a factor. If i make a carbon fiber bracket that attaches to the two sets of innermost Torx bolts it will have to be in an X shape to avoid the sensors. that should locate the weight (about 500grams) at the CG. I guess ill also need to locate some longer Torx to facilitate the mount. any idea where i might find such a thing?
Thank you Thunder-Drones! If it crashes and breaks I will be sending it to you for repairs as you seem to be the best mechanic out there.

FWIW, I wrote to the LumeCube folks about a Mavic Mount a few weeks ago, and they suggested they had something in the works, and that I should keep an eye on their social media accounts for details when they've got something.

FWIW, I wrote to the LumeCube folks about a Mavic Mount a few weeks ago, and they suggested they had something in the works, and that I should keep an eye on their social media accounts for details when they've got something.
OK thanks that is good to know!

I think the best screws to remove would be those circled in yellow. Those would be the closest to the CG which are the blue arrows. Try not to block the air outlets on the vent, you can feel where the air exits when the fan is blowing.

My Mavic likes to takeoff nose first like a CH-47, so its possible you might need to mount the cubes more forward than these 4 screws depending on how yours lifts off.

Mavic CG top.jpg Mavic CG bottom.jpg

Reactions: Soundtekk and Drope
I think the best screws to remove would be those circled in yellow. Those would be the closest to the CG which are the blue arrows. My Mavic likes to takeoff nose first like a CH-47, so its possible you might need to mount the cubes more forward than these 4 screws depending on how yours lifts off.

View attachment 11553 View attachment 11552
Wow I had a few flights on a CH-47 in Okinawa (we called it the ****-hook) Yes, those innermost bolts are the best to replace i think. the bracket will need to be X-like to avoid the sensors, and extend out from the side of the craft a centimeter or so. if the arms of the bracket were L shaped i could mound the Lume Cube with total control of the shine angle! now to find the right bolts and someone to CNC the carbon or aluminum bracket. any ideas?

I bet a local hobby shop would have the same circumference screws in a longer length.
YES! and i have a friend who just finished a tech school for airplane rivet work. he works at a hanger. arm going to meet him tonight and see if he can machine such a part. god this is exciting! a print would be good too!

do you just hand launch and catch when you use your Gear 360?
With the Phantoms I've always hand caught. I've never hand launched as I never had the need. I've done that for years. However, I've not hand landed or launched with the Mavic as I just don't feel comfortable given it's design. When the Gear 360 is attached I just place it on something to launch. Pretty much anything will work that will support it off the ground. I then just land on grass and the props turn off quickly enough that it works.

VPS needs to be turned off when this mount is used. I find that the mount works just fine.

With the Phantoms I've always hand caught. I've never hand launched as I never had the need. I've done that for years. However, I've not hand landed or launched with the Mavic as I just don't feel comfortable given it's design. When the Gear 360 is attached I just place it on something to launch. Pretty much anything will work that will support it off the ground. I then just land on grass and the props turn off quickly enough that it works.

VPS needs to be turned off when this mount is used. I find that the mount works just fine.
Fantastic! Thanks for this information... those two rings on the back are useful it seems!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78