DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP1 died and fell from the sky

Hooby

Reactions
So this just happened not too long ago. I took my Mavic Pro out for a little flight around my house and I did my normal testing where I take off, let it hover a bit, pitch it back and forth, up, down, etc. All checked out and it was the second flight of the day. Blades were perfectly fine. Brand new, in fact. So I took my Mavic up about 300 feet or so and it was flying fine. I was pretty much just flying in a big circle. Then I noticed that it became harder to control. It was almost like it suddenly went into cinematic mode (which it did not). I got a warning of interference, weak signal, and high winds. Of my over 400 flights I've made, most have been from this same location, as there is no interference. Remote is good. I could sort of believe the wind thing, but the problem is that my Mavic acted more like it was caught in a tornado-strength updraft. Basically, I don't think the wind did this. I think something glitched out and caused it to keep climbing while barely responding to my input. Just when I thought I had it under control- it was down from 860+ feet and was now around 840 feet (remember that I was flying about 300 feet, which is normal for me) and then poof. Aircraft disconnected, altitude zero, speed zero.

I'm not trying to find someone or something to blame. This Mavic had a TON of time and miles on it and it also had a pretty nasty crash last summer that I think may have caused a slow breakdown of its overall function. All I am looking for is ideas as to what anyone thinks may have happened. I am seriously bummed and I know that my wife will kill me if I even talk about getting another one, so I will probably not be flying for quite a while. I'm just super confused as to what may have caused it to be perfectly fine and then just freak out and fall from the 830 or so feet it decided to climb itself up to for fun.

The USB port is non-responsive. Actually, all input and output is gone. It doesn't find the remote and it doesn't even show there being any light at all except for the tail light, and it just flashes at random. So I can't pull the black box data. So sad :(

Reactions: John235
Did you check out the TXT flight log? You can upload and view it online here.

Did you check out the TXT flight log? You can upload and view it online here.
Oh, cool, thank you. I won't be able to get to iTunes for a couple of days, but I am definitely going to check that out.

I am kind of starting to think that someone may have taken a few shots at it. I shouldn't say kind of starting to think... I am pretty positive someone did. Whether or not I should even bother trying to report it to the police is something else entirely.

I'd imagine that there would be a pretty telltale sign if it was shot. Is that so?

So this just happened not too long ago. I took my Mavic Pro out for a little flight around my house and I did my normal testing where I take off, let it hover a bit, pitch it back and forth, up, down, etc. All checked out and it was the second flight of the day. Blades were perfectly fine. Brand new, in fact. So I took my Mavic up about 300 feet or so and it was flying fine. I was pretty much just flying in a big circle. Then I noticed that it became harder to control. It was almost like it suddenly went into cinematic mode (which it did not). I got a warning of interference, weak signal, and high winds. Of my over 400 flights I've made, most have been from this same location, as there is no interference. Remote is good. I could sort of believe the wind thing, but the problem is that my Mavic acted more like it was caught in a tornado-strength updraft. Basically, I don't think the wind did this. I think something glitched out and caused it to keep climbing while barely responding to my input. Just when I thought I had it under control- it was down from 860+ feet and was now around 840 feet (remember that I was flying about 300 feet, which is normal for me) and then poof. Aircraft disconnected, altitude zero, speed zero.

I'm not trying to find someone or something to blame. This Mavic had a TON of time and miles on it and it also had a pretty nasty crash last summer that I think may have caused a slow breakdown of its overall function. All I am looking for is ideas as to what anyone thinks may have happened. I am seriously bummed and I know that my wife will kill me if I even talk about getting another one, so I will probably not be flying for quite a while. I'm just super confused as to what may have caused it to be perfectly fine and then just freak out and fall from the 830 or so feet it decided to climb itself up to for fun.

The USB port is non-responsive. Actually, all input and output is gone. It doesn't find the remote and it doesn't even show there being any light at all except for the tail light, and it just flashes at random. So I can't pull the black box data. So sad :(

Make sure your RC/Wifi switch is in RC.

Reactions: Hooby
I did, but there was no response on anything. It looks like it pankcaked itself against the ground, so I imagine the logic board inside is probably in rough shape. It's actually in a lot better shape than I would have thought it to be. But it was so surreal watching the altitude climb so high, seeing the drone directly over head, then it drifted off. I kept trying to get it to descend, it worked a little bit, then it was just zero. I think I am more happy that nobody- or nothing (except my drone)- got hurt. That's a long way for something the weight of a Mavic to dead fall.

I did, but there was no response on anything. It looks like it pankcaked itself against the ground, so I imagine the logic board inside is probably in rough shape. It's actually in a lot better shape than I would have thought it to be. But it was so surreal watching the altitude climb so high, seeing the drone directly over head, then it drifted off. I kept trying to get it to descend, it worked a little bit, then it was just zero. I think I am more happy that nobody- or nothing (except my drone)- got hurt. That's a long way for something the weight of a Mavic to dead fall.

I know how you feel. If you need a hand trying to repair it, just update this thread.

Reactions: Hooby
I also want to say something about my Phantom 3 Standard.
It was about two to three years back. The Std was very new. I flew it up and was about 100+ ft away from me and about 75 feet high.
I decided to fly back but somehow, all of a sudden, it dropped and dropped into a high tree. It stuck there and I could not get it back.
Lost. US$500.00 gone. Now I am weary of flying. Everytime, I pray that it won't drop dead.
I think DJI software has glitches or maybe maybe somebody with another RC operate his RC to sabotage my flight.

No to be mean or anything, but it sounds like your drone obeyed the laws of gravity. With that out of the way, let MavicHelp / Thunderdrones help you, I am sure there is a logical answer out there.

Alright, quick update. I watched the flight log on my phone probably 50 or so times and I saw some stuff I didn't see before. Since I was busy keeping my eyes on the drone, trying to keep it overhead, I didn't notice the repeated "Battery error- Overcharge Detected" coming and going on the screen. It kept doing this. Then, without me knowing, it tried to return home. By the time it was over my head, it was probably too late for me to save. It's a strange situation, but again- I am just very happy nobody got hurt.

No to be mean or anything, but it sounds like your drone obeyed the laws of gravity. With that out of the way, let MavicHelp / Thunderdrones help you, I am sure there is a logical answer out there.

Climbing to an altitude I would never take my drone to and then just cutting out isn't so much a matter of obeying the laws of physics as it is a fault somewhere in the system. Most likely me. But I'm not questioning whether or not gravity took over. That's pretty obvious and not at all what I was talking about. I'm just tying to throw out a dragnet to see if anyone has any ideas as to what could cause something like that to happen.

I also want to say something about my Phantom 3 Standard.
It was about two to three years back. The Std was very new. I flew it up and was about 100+ ft away from me and about 75 feet high.
I decided to fly back but somehow, all of a sudden, it dropped and dropped into a high tree. It stuck there and I could not get it back.
Lost. US$500.00 gone. Now I am weary of flying. Everytime, I pray that it won't drop dead.
I think DJI software has glitches or maybe maybe somebody with another RC operate his RC to sabotage my flight.

As much as I personally HATE DJI as a company, I do think the products they make are second to none. I am not thinking for a second that this was a problem on the software or hardware side. As much as I kind of wish it was. I really think this was just from a very high amount of use. This thing has flown in countless countries in all conditions and sometimes up to 7 or 8 hours a day. Personally, I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. You, on the other hand, had a situation which I think is far worse than mine. That feeling of seeing your new drone in a tree and not being able to get it would really sting. I'm sorry to hear about that. Knowing how DJI treats its customers, I'm sure if you reached out to them for help, they would probably just ignore you and act like you never existed at all. Because they are awful like that. Have you ever gone back to see if it's still in the tree?

Definitely post those logs. There may have been a real reason we can learn from.

I really like your attitude. And I'm serious. I always appreciate when someone looks for reasons and explanations to things which could affect anyone else. Once I get to them, I'll let you know what I saw. But just from the playback on my phone, it seems like it was a case of it just probably having been flown so much that maybe it couldn't keep up. My favorite thing was endurance flying. I loved to see how far I could [safely] push the distance and how long I could make the drone [safely and sensibly] fly on one battery. I had 5 batteries and I'd just charge them in a line as I went. I allowed the cool down and everything. But maybe I should have also thought of the thermal properties on the electrical components inside the drone itself.

I know how you feel. If you need a hand trying to repair it, just update this thread.

I really appreciate that and I will probably be reaching out to you at some point. I can't stand the thought of no longer flying. It's one of the coolest things I've ever had in my life.

Alright, quick update. I watched the flight log on my phone probably 50 or so times and I saw some stuff I didn't see before. Since I was busy keeping my eyes on the drone, trying to keep it overhead, I didn't notice the repeated "Battery error- Overcharge Detected" coming and going on the screen. It kept doing this. Then, without me knowing, it tried to return home. By the time it was over my head, it was probably too late for me to save. It's a strange situation, but again- I am just very happy nobody got hurt.

Climbing to an altitude I would never take my drone to and then just cutting out isn't so much a matter of obeying the laws of physics as it is a fault somewhere in the system. Most likely me. But I'm not questioning whether or not gravity took over. That's pretty obvious and not at all what I was talking about. I'm just tying to throw out a dragnet to see if anyone has any ideas as to what could cause something like that to happen.

As much as I personally HATE DJI as a company, I do think the products they make are second to none. I am not thinking for a second that this was a problem on the software or hardware side. As much as I kind of wish it was. I really think this was just from a very high amount of use. This thing has flown in countless countries in all conditions and sometimes up to 7 or 8 hours a day. Personally, I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. You, on the other hand, had a situation which I think is far worse than mine. That feeling of seeing your new drone in a tree and not being able to get it would really sting. I'm sorry to hear about that. Knowing how DJI treats its customers, I'm sure if you reached out to them for help, they would probably just ignore you and act like you never existed at all. Because they are awful like that. Have you ever gone back to see if it's still in the tree?

I really like your attitude. And I'm serious. I always appreciate when someone looks for reasons and explanations to things which could affect anyone else. Once I get to them, I'll let you know what I saw. But just from the playback on my phone, it seems like it was a case of it just probably having been flown so much that maybe it couldn't keep up. My favorite thing was endurance flying. I loved to see how far I could [safely] push the distance and how long I could make the drone [safely and sensibly] fly on one battery. I had 5 batteries and I'd just charge them in a line as I went. I allowed the cool down and everything. But maybe I should have also thought of the thermal properties on the electrical components inside the drone itself.

I really appreciate that and I will probably be reaching out to you at some point. I can't stand the thought of no longer flying. It's one of the coolest things I've ever had in my life.

Watching the logs on your phone is a very poor substitute for analyzing the contents of the txt and DAT logs. The behavior that you describe was most unlikely to be due simply to the aircraft having seen a lot of use. Something else entirely was going on there, and those logs will probably explain exactly what that was.

Oh, cool, thank you. I won't be able to get to iTunes for a couple of days, but I am definitely going to check that out.

I am kind of starting to think that someone may have taken a few shots at it. I shouldn't say kind of starting to think... I am pretty positive someone did. Whether or not I should even bother trying to report it to the police is something else entirely.

I'd imagine that there would be a pretty telltale sign if it was shot. Is that so?

Lol The illusion of control.
I have that paranioid reaction whenever something goes seriosuly awry with my Mavic, or I lose one.
Someone was manipulating it with another controller?, or Someone zapped it with Anti-Drone Gun, Interfered
with the signal.
I always thought it was my 'Universe revolves around me' syndrome.
But others seem to get it aswell. I did everything right, didn't I?

Easy to forget just how many things are going on with Smartdrones to fly correctly.
You mentioned losing it but not the finding it part

Yeh because that switch is known to move by itself occasionaly? :rolleyes:

Yes the Wifi/RC switch does move itself from time to time. Can you figure out one instance when it might? Pop quiz.

Even using a finger/thumb to remove the SD card (as I do) ive never rubbed aginst the RC switch

9 times out of 10, after a crash, the wifi/rc switch will be in wifi

I'll defer to your post crash forensic experince obviously TD.
I Was merely suggesting we rule it out as a cause of accident; mid-flight.

This thing has flown in countless countries in all conditions and sometimes up to 7 or 8 hours a day. Personally, I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.I can't stand the thought of no longer flying. It's one of the coolest things I've ever had in my life.

I like this comment. One of my Mavic's lasted me a month, and I felt the same way even as I was trying to regain signal.
Probably cuz I had been in an exotic location and had Epic footage, but it was good to be ok with it.

Mavic, or Mavic 2 (Gawd) crash threads from People who have flown them just enough to get a big grin, then lost/crashed.
They suck to read.

There was a huge Backorder at MavicOne release, as most will remember.
And if you lost it, it was gone for months. Even Casey Neistat couldnt get a replacement ;)

It didn't help that half the new owners (including me) hadn't had Phantom's and were new to it all.
Remember all those "My Mavic Flewaway" threads? Ouch.

Im Di'miniscing here though.
I think my point is, or yours was, you had a good run. Crash happens to all of us.
So get it repaired/refreshed, and keep flying :)

I think my point is, or yours was, you had a good run. Crash happens to all of us.
So get it repaired/refreshed, and keep flying :)

Ding ding, winner winner, chicken dinner.

I have been just totally swamped all week, so no real chance to dig into my poor little pancake drone. But I agree with you 100%-

Man, I had a great time with this thing. I certainly feel like I got every penny worth of enjoyment out of it, so that's why I wasn't mad. Very sad, but not angry. Though looking back on it... man. I wish I could have at least seen it fall from the sky like it did. That had to look incredible.

But either way, I'll update as I finally get to it. I can rule out the shooting thing. It turns out that the shot I heard was from some idiot showing off to his friends a few blocks over. The cops weren't as thrilled, though. Dude was a felon in possession of a handgun. The ATF threw him a party a few days later. This is how I know. Because I freaking asked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78