DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Music Video Shot Entirely on Mavic Air using Smart Capture

shaunmichaelj

Reactions
wow.. So i did it...

I bought the Mavic Air Specifically for the purpose of shooting a music video, not to fly 2 miles out and spy on my neighbours (just kidding). People wanted to charge me nearly 2k to shoot 3 music videos. So i bought the Mavic Air to do it all myself, using the smart capture active track - I shot an entire music video using my drone.

I got some great cinematic footage of Oxford using advice about camera footage from people on this forum (Thank you!)

I made a lot of footage that i couldn't use due to low lighting, facing the sun or something else i didn't calculate. The battery died on me several times so i had to buy more batteries which took a month to come due to Chinese new year, and filming in active track, performing to the camera and playing the music from a bluetooth speaker was painful at times and other times people thought i was crazy and didn't even SEE the drone. They just thought i was singing in the street.

People are quite impressed and it got featured in the local newspaper - Reggae musician's drone music video in tribute to footballer Wayne St Clair

People like my song which i am VERY happy about.

Check it out.

Impressive!!!!

Reactions: shaunmichaelj
I like the video and love the location, but the color level is pushed to the point of almost not being realistic to me. It could just be my computer also.

Good work! Editing must have been quite a task...

Love the song, and that's impressive that you did it all with the Mavic Air. I'm not sure the Air is suited for that particular task as well as a separate camera and gimbal, however. The Air's movements while it is tracking you created some odd camera movements, but I've used Smart Capture and that's just what it does while it tracks you. I've never done a music video before, but I think I'd use the Air for those airborne shots of the location and perhaps a few moving shots. But if you want to keep it relatively inexpensive, you could have a friend shoot the ground shots with a camera and gimbal setup. Even an iPhone shooting at 4k on a stabilizer would do a good job with those particular shots. Unfortunately, the Air is limited to 1080p when shooting in Smart Capture mode, which is one of my minor gripes about it.

Still, great job and very nice video!

Love it - both the Video and the Song (look the chorus hook btw)

I did a number of music videos for my daughter a few years back - always wanted a drone then to get some cool shots but they weren’t affordable (to me) then.

Anyway. Loved it!

Nicely done.. What Video editing app/software did you use for color correction and tuning?

Impressive. Syncing the audio must have been a nightmare. Sorry to put a damper on this. But your next step is to get a comersialdrone licence so you can sell the video. Which to me is the biggest bummer for the odd paying video. Not sure what the likelyhood of being caught is. Probably no more than the distance leader board.

Impressive. Syncing the audio must have been a nightmare. Sorry to put a damper on this. But your next step is to get a comersialdrone licence so you can sell the video. Which to me is the biggest bummer for the odd paying video. Not sure what the likelyhood of being caught is. Probably no more than the distance leader board.

Why does he need a commercial license? He's made a video of himself and putting it on YouTube.

Who would he be selling the video to?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31