DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Air Crashed Twice Today

heo3480

Reactions
I have been pretty happy with my Mavic Air until now and it has not failed me until today.

I all started with me accidentally dropping it on the tile floor yesterday from a 1,5m height. It seemed fine to me when inspected with no marks. I decided to fly it today to make sure nothing was broken. Everything was fine from the DJI Go 4 App to I decided to take off with 14 satellites.

After take off it drifted hard left and ended up crashing into a bench, where the front arm took most of the impact by folding back. I decided to give it one more try on a more soft surface, and again it was completely out of control by I managed to semi land it.

I took it indoor and calibrated IMU and Compass and that seemed to have resolved the problem. Seems crazy the sensors can be that much off from an impact, or could this be caused by something else.

NB! it was dark outside when I tested, so could downward sensor system have been confused?

...NB! it was dark outside when I tested, so could downward sensor system have been confused?
Anti-collision and positioning sensors need adequate light to function. With GPS only it may drift a little but not as much as your description.

Sorry to hear you had a problem but at least you no what caused the problem. It was most definitely was from the impact I’m sure.
The sensors don’t work correctly at night or in dark conditions.

Last edited:
OP, spin all your motors around and see if you are getting any more resistance in one of them than the rest of them. One motor out of sync could cause it to do that. I dont think that your sensors are the problem.

Reactions: Skymax
Sorry to hear this. I'm lucky my crash had no adverse effects.

I'll fly it tomorrow and see how it goes

dont want to be the bearer of bad news but if an IMU calibration won't fix it, sounds like you might have knocked something loose on the board, maybe the IMU.

dont want to be the bearer of bad news but if an IMU calibration won't fix it, sounds like you might have knocked something loose on the board, maybe the IMU.

That's what I fear as well

It flies again after the IMU calibration

Reactions: thongbong
OP, spin all your motors around and see if you are getting any more resistance in one of them than the rest of them. One motor out of sync could cause it to do that. I dont think that your sensors are the problem.

Also Bent or damaged Props can give you Sensor fail warnings.

This is my most sensitive dji drone. I’ve calibrated it more then all my others combined. Once calibrated it flies as expected.

Reactions: heo3480
Spark props till dji releases spair Air props

Hi guys - first post here.

So brand new Mavic Air. I was flying the spark before so and upgraded to the Air. Flew it once and all was perfect; second time I attached the prop guards at night and it did a very acward steep back twice; first it crashed into a tree and got some scratches. It baffled me so I tried once more and did the same thing!! Crashed twice. Nothing - not even the props - looks damaged except for the scratches... sad that I got some scars but It was super strange. Im blaming the night and the prop guards, hoping that it doesnt happen again Im going to try it with some daylight...

I took it indoor and calibrated IMU and Compass and that seemed to have resolved the problem. Seems crazy the sensors can be that much off from an impact, or could this be caused by something else.

The sensors can certainly be affected by hard impacts.

For more information than you need: iPhone 4 Gyroscope Teardown

AOFFOoVkpbuQLBZB.large

MeunHawo54qPRY5S.large

Note the sizes. The human hair is roughly 75 microns in width. So given the size of a typical gyroscope or compass or the like it doesn't take much to affect one. It more surprising they are as robust as they for as small as they are.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Also Bent or damaged Props can give you Sensor fail warnings.
Hiya,
I have this after a small crash, it flies but all over the place in hover and control.
Do I need to replace that arm?

Old thread but hopefully it still works

Hiya,
I have this after a small crash, it flies but all over the place in hover and control.
Do I need to replace that arm?

Old thread but hopefully it still works
@Kenifkook ... strongly recommend starting your own new thread. This will avoid confusion since your post is the first one in the last 11 months on this thread.

If you dropped it at all you likely broke something internal these are not meant to take abuse. I really don't understand if you did what people do to drones to a real aircraft. I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW IT HOLDS UP!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98