DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my first crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

shb

Reactions
today I was flying at a high school in the Philippines. Suddenly, it started going to the right, and then went up
and hit the ceiling. I wasn't touching the left stick at all. Maybe it lost GPS or something. Two propellers
are broke, but it still turns on with video, and the motors run. Steve

Starting going to the right maybe because it lost GPS and went into ATTI mode. Went up as soon as it went over the railing, likely the downward collision sensors saw the railing and caused it to ascend.

Reactions: UAVPilot
"Maybe it lost GPS or something." You only had 4 satellites, so yes. You didn't disable RTH prior to flight I'm guessing?
i didn't think of that. but it never said it was executing a return to home. i never lost signal.

Starting going to the right maybe because it lost GPS and went into ATTI mode. Went up as soon as it went over the railing, likely the downward collision sensors saw the railing and caused it to ascend.
yes this is what i think happed. i'm gonna turn off collision avoidence and

this is what i think happened. i'm gonna turn off collision avoidance and see how that works

yes this is what i think happed. i'm gonna turn off collision avoidence and

this is what i think happened. i'm gonna turn off collision avoidance and see how that works

It had nothing to do with collision avoidance. You lost sat signal by flying indoors/under that metal roof. Don't fly there again. These quad copters need computers to fly stable. Take away what it uses to determine position and you get all sorts of crazy flight actions. People get lulled into a false sense of control. You actually do very little real flying when piloting something like a Mavic. You won't be able to do what a computer does to fly it with any control.

Reactions: umneycreep
Pilot error. Bad place to be flying. Good thing no one was hurt.
when it suddenly veers to the right, for no reason, that's not pilot error. that's a design flaw. but if I had mistakenly pushed the right stick right, rather than the left stick right, that would be pilot error

Last edited:
It had nothing to do with collision avoidance. You lost sat signal by flying indoors/under that metal roof. Don't fly there again. These quad copters need computers to fly stable. Take away what it uses to determine position and you get all sorts of crazy flight actions. People get lulled into a false sense of control. You actually do very little real flying when piloting something like a Mavic. You won't be able to do what a computer does to fly it with any control.

Your statement has no basis in fact. You have no proof of what exactly caused the Mavic to shoot skyward. The evidence presented shows the Mavic ascending very quickly the moment it goes over the railing. There is absolutely a probability that it could have been collision avoidance. Could it have been something else? Absolutely there is probability of that. But to unequivocally state it had nothing to do with collision avoidance indicates that you don't know what you are talking about.

As far as your statement about not being able to fly the Mavic with control, a computer is always flying it, keeping it balanced. When you lose GPS you lose positional stability, but anybody trained to fly drones/RC helis that don't have GPS lock are more than capable of flying a Mavic with control when in ATTI mode.

And, to be clear, the "crazy flying actions" is typically due to GPS lock going in and out. Once GPS lock changes to ATTI mode, it is all being controlled by the pilot. Thus, "take away what it uses to determine position" is OK if you are sufficiently trained because it will be in ATTI mode without the things necessary for the Mavic to determine position. The problem that happens in some of the bizarre actions experienced by other pilots is when the Mavic is using potential corrupt data to determine position.

Reactions: umneycreep
lots of drones don't have any gps, and they don't suddenly veer to one side for no reason. dji should allow you turn off gps in flight, and then trim the mavic if it's not stationary

I might be worthwhile to get the logs out of the drone and inspect them via HealthyDrones (or whatever they changed their name to). Those will give you a better idea of what happened.

Watching the clip again it appears as if you had forward stick, GPS was lost, the drone stopped forward momentum potentially due to forward collision avoidance, drifted right since you no longer had GPS lock, then collision avoidance saw the railing below it and started ascending. That is just a guess based on what I saw. Certainly could be something else.

Reactions: shb
I might be worthwhile to get the logs out of the drone and inspect them via HealthyDrones (or whatever they changed their name to). Those will give you a better idea of what happened.

Watching the clip again it appears as if you had forward stick, GPS was lost, the drone stopped forward momentum potentially due to forward collision avoidance, drifted right since you no longer had GPS lock, then collision avoidance saw the railing below it and started ascending. That is just a guess based on what I saw. Certainly could be something else.
can you help me get and interpret the logs? I don't know how to do that, but I want to do it

I'm seeing some good advice here like turning off rth before flying indoors especially because of metal causing interference to gps etc. Can someone write a list of things to do or turn on/off for the best setup for indoor flying please. If like to have it as a reference

can you help me get and interpret the logs? I don't know how to do that, but I want to do it

Wish I could, but I don't know how to do it. There is a guy on here, I think MSINGER, that has some instructions on how to do it.

Reactions: Steveyg777
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman