DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first experience with the Mavic Air 2 Wet Suit + Rescue Jacket

Nice video. Since you live in Florida, were you not worried that one of our native water residents, alligators, just may consider your drone a tasty morsel? I also live very close to a lake here in Florida and I have flown over it multiple times, but I doubt that I would land on it....I know our lake has at least 2 6 footers residing here.....just a thought.....

I know what are you talking about. Check this video from today.

I haven't been using my Rescue Jacket. I used it once to test it and when I was landing on the water (completely calm) the camera was going underwater.

I haven't been using my Rescue Jacket. I used it once to test it and when I was landing on the water (completely calm) the camera was going underwater.
I can talk about the Air 2. Is very strange because has plenty clearance for the camera. I need to see your installation. Also @Phantomrain.org can give you the best tips.

I know what are you talking about. Check this video from today.

So that adds yet another element to flying over the lake , :oops: let alone going for a night time stroll.
I was not aware that the Lochnness roamed the waters ?

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
Welcome to the club.
IMG_0029.JPGIMG_20200716_154008.jpg

If the water was even slightly choppy with slightly stronger winds this would not have worked. How far above the water would the camera and tumble have been?

If the water was even slightly choppy with slightly stronger winds this would not have worked. How far above the water would the camera and tumble have been?

You would think that , but its really not the case at all:

We have repeatedly tested the Rescue Jacket in extreme winds and some what choppy waters.
20 mph winds and Chop Suey Waters .

Here is a Compilation video of the last months adventures : Notice the Extreme winds and Choppy waters so there is a stability because of the low center of gravity and the stream line approach in the design.

Today I had a blast with the Mavic Air 2 using the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket, landing over the water.

Also I have some visitors while was recording and I give a nice surprise to a kid.

The video was recorded with the drone camera, my iPhone and a GoPro Hero 3+. Sorry for GoPro 2.7K overlap to 4K resolution.
Today was a windy day with 10 mph, not the perfect conditions but perfect for a typical real case scenarios test.

As you see the drone handled the Rescue Jacket + Wet Suit very well in normal and sport mode. I really like the fact you can see the drone from very far with the Rescue Jacket increasing VLOS. The fly time has not been affected by the weight and really looks cool. Now I can fly low over the water to take the nice shots having peace of mind that I somethings goes wrong, I can recover my drone because will wont sink. :) (if something happen I prefers if land straight and not upside down) LOL.

If somebody is interested, you can get it from https://www.phantomrain.org/ and @Phantomrain.org will give you an awesome support.
Thank you !!!

Nice one! I wish I had in my Mavic Air when it crashed into the lake.

That was wonderful of you to let that young person!

I am brand new to the DJI platform...less than a week....but arent you worried about water getting into any of the vents?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That was wonderful of you to let that young person!

I am brand new to the DJI platform...less than a week....but arent you worried about water getting into any of the vents?
The rescue jacket is proven and keeps the MA2 at float even in choppy waters. I am fine. I tested in bad conditions and works every time.

The rescue jacket is proven and keeps the MA2 at float even in choppy waters. I am fine. I tested in bad conditions and works every time.

So no worries about spray getting into the motors or the vents? The reason I ask is that I am an avid Fly Fisherman and would love to try and capture some footage while fishing. It would be awesome if I had some sort of protection for the MA2.

The motors are proven to work even underwater according with @Phantomrain.org. The camera and gimbal are water resistant in worse case scenario the choppy water will won’t affect. Is always good practice take precautions like let it dry in case of any event.

I don’t got the rescue jacket originally to convert the Mavic in a boat. For me is your insurance in case something happens that you will recover your drone. However is pretty efficient and I used now for pleasure or show off. ? because in non windy days you can even drive like a hovercraft on the water while the props are in idle. Not completely efficient bot works. Remember is not made for that propose, is just a benefit I find out: funny

Yes I test it today and works, however if is windy wont work very well. I tested on 17mph wind. CRAZY !!! At 0-6 miles winds works nice like a hover boat.
Hoover boat ? Sound like a lot of fun.
May be it can take a calm lake, for ocean waves it would be dicey I think

It is a lot of fun !!!!

Hoover boat ? Sound like a lot of fun.
May be it can take a calm lake, for ocean waves it would be dicey I think

Be careful, it may be interpreted as something to eat from something below the water line as you scoot across the water. ?

Today I had a blast with the Mavic Air 2 using the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket, landing over the water.

Also I have some visitors while was recording and I give a nice surprise to a kid.

The video was recorded with the drone camera, my iPhone and a GoPro Hero 3+. Sorry for GoPro 2.7K overlap to 4K resolution.
Today was a windy day with 10 mph, not the perfect conditions but perfect for a typical real case scenarios test.

As you see the drone handled the Rescue Jacket + Wet Suit very well in normal and sport mode. I really like the fact you can see the drone from very far with the Rescue Jacket increasing VLOS. The fly time has not been affected by the weight and really looks cool. Now I can fly low over the water to take the nice shots having peace of mind that I somethings goes wrong, I can recover my drone because will wont sink. :) (if something happen I prefers if land straight and not upside down) LOL.

If somebody is interested, you can get it from https://www.phantomrain.org/ and @Phantomrain.org will give you an awesome support.
Thank you !!!

Spoke with the guys at Phantomrain great bunch of guys and they are shipping over the wetsuit. Will keep al. Updated as to how it performs in the wet weather :)

Reactions: Horace and zeusfl

Thank you !!!

Thank you for sharing. I fly over the bay and ocean quite a bit and have not had a reason to purposely land on water. I like the idea of a wet suit for accidental touch down or emergency. Right now I have DJI care and attach a Getterback. May when the Warrantee runs out I’ll get a wet suit. Thanks again. Happy flying.

Reactions: zeusfl and MA2 317

Thank you !!!

How about sharing some of your videos...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580