DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 3 flew away - Any Help Please with Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I ever had the extra money for such a expensive drone I would have added a tracker to it. One of the best out there is the Marco Polo tracker. Well worth the investment.

This is interesting because if DJI thinks he changed the Home Point by Accident , the outcome is not going to be good.
Its not that easy to change the home point as you have to go into the menu to do it and drag it over.
DJI aren't going to think it was changed because there's no evidence that it changed.
A change of homepoint is very visible in the flight data.
The homepoint was not changed in flight, accidentally or intentionally.

The only other thing I know of that can engage that behavior is of course Magnetic Interference and is that completely off the table ?
Yes .. off the table.
There's no sign of it in the data and if it had happened, we'd probably have a lot more in the flight data.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I would like to know what happen to this drone, because I just purchase one of these expensive mavic 3 Cine. with six batteries.

but reading thru this forum feed...I am a little confused on what really happen to this drone and why?

That's a bold assumption without seeing any data to confirm it.
Particularly when what data we have doesn't fit with your guesses.

Evidence of the problem??
I can't work out how you came to this bizarre conclusion.

Not looking at the data, making assumptions and not understanding how DJI drones behave ....
That's an interesting approach to incident investigation.
Seems like you just want to argue.

There was data – the observations of the OP. That's the data I'm using to analyze the situation. The behavior.

I obviously could be completely wrong. In fact, I would say more likely than not.

If you have conclusive data/logic that rules out a control disconnection RTH, please present it so we can discuss it. Otherwise, stop the noise – exaggerated, aggressive argument – doesn't help, and makes this an unfriendly place.

Last edited:
DJI aren't going to think it was changed because there's no evidence that it changed.
A change of homepoint is very visible in the flight data.
The homepoint was not changed in flight, accidentally or intentionally.
This, very simply is not true.

The RC lost connection and never regained it for most of the flight (during flyaway), under control of the FC. That flight was clearly going to a destination location.

We have no idea what happened to the HP value stored in the aircraft after disconnecting. The data we do have is what the aircraft did.

Can also add in this ...

The velocity difference between the GPS & IMU takes a turn to the worse at 150sec into the flight, pink area in the chart is the period when you make the dronie, circle & pitch up+fly forward.

Something is clearly going on ... this can possibly indicate IMU problems ...

View attachment 141552
The GPS/IMU velocity differences are related to the horizontal velocity.
1641837209555.png
Getting agreement between the GPS and IMU velocities is pretty easy to do if they are both not accelerating. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: slup
Well guys, thank you all for your support and advise and trying to help. I woke this morning to an email from Dji saying they will replace the drone.
That is good news, but did they explain what happened ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. > Land on the Water.

The RC lost connection and never regained it for most of the flight (during flyaway), under control of the FC. That flight was clearly going to a destination location.

We have no idea what happened to the HP value stored in the aircraft after disconnecting. The data we do have is what the aircraft did.
It's also possible the M3 wasn't attempting to go to a particular destination. Rather it was attempting to change it's travel direction based on an incorrect determination of it's actual travel direction. This is usually the case with this type of fly away. AFAIK, the HP has never been randomly updated to a new, incorrect value.

That is good news, but did they explain what happened ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. > Land on the Water.
Nah, all they gave me is below:
1. The aircraft worked under MasterShot mode and it responded well to the pilot's commands;
2. Flight Time T=02:02, Relative Height H=92.2 m, Distance to Home Point D=130.8 m, the flight record ended when the aircraft was flying forward at 6.6 m/s;
3. Take-off point: -35.7377215, 174.3249179 and the last point: -35.7367069, 174.3241844.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward

• Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
...The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward
Yeah ... they didn't have anything more than us to go on ... everything executed correctly up to the point where the log ends. So this is goodwill ... nothing more, eventually in the future DJI will revert to their usual reaction that a fault on their side couldn't be proved out from the logs.

So guys ... if you have a Mavic 3, make sure you make all mishaps now or in a near future 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Suren
Seems like you just want to argue.
I had similar thoughts about you.
There was data – the observations of the OP. That's the data I'm using to analyze the situation. The behavior.
There was actual recorded flight data, giving position, speed, height, pitch, roll, heading and a hundred other parameters for every 1/10th of a second of the flight for which there was connection with the app.
But you've ignored that and suggested things that the actual data shows as not possible.
I obviously could be completely wrong. In fact, I would say more likely than not.
Yes
If you have conclusive data/logic that rules out a control disconnection RTH, please present it so we can discuss it.
RTH goes to the home point which is stored in the drone.
Stored home points don't magically change during a flight
At the end of the recorded flight data, the home point recorded in the drone was the same as when first recorded.
It's most unlikely that the suggestion of RTH being the cause is most unlikely.
It's 100% true
It was going somewhere, but there's nothing that indicate that it was going towards a specified destination.

From many years of flying and analysing recorded flight data, we do know that the home point stored in the drone won't change during a flight, unless the flyer manually changes it.
There is no data to show that the home point changed and there's no reason to suggest that it did.

You put a lot of faith in your guesses.
Unfortunately they are not supported by direct evidence (data) or by an understanding of how DJI drones work.

I had similar thoughts about you.

There was actual recorded flight data, giving position, speed, height, pitch, roll, heading and a hundred other parameters for every 1/10th of a second of the flight for which there was connection with the app.
But you've ignored that and suggested things that the actual data shows as not possible.

Yes

RTH goes to the home point which is stored in the drone.
Stored home points don't magically change during a flight
At the end of the recorded flight data, the home point recorded in the drone was the same as when first recorded.
It's most unlikely that the suggestion of RTH being the cause is most unlikely.

It's 100% true

It was going somewhere, but there's nothing that indicate that it was going towards a specified destination.

From many years of flying and analysing recorded flight data, we do know that the home point stored in the drone won't change during a flight, unless the flyer manually changes it.
There is no data to show that the home point changed and there's no reason to suggest that it did.

You put a lot of faith in your guesses.
Unfortunately they are not supported by direct evidence (data) or by an understanding of how DJI drones work.
The common theme in these arguments is whacky Mavic 3’s

Since the drone does engage RTH on lost communication. And it immediately went “somewhere”. I suspect either Home Point got corrupted or GPS location was corrupted. I suspect the same corruption is what probably made it lose communication.

All speculation, just like everyone else’s. I suspect DJI knows they have issues as well which is why they are replacing it.

Reactions: Carlos56
Since the drone does engage RTH on lost communication. And it immediately went “somewhere”. I suspect either Home Point got corrupted or GPS location was corrupted. I suspect the same corruption is what probably made it lose communication.
You are guessing at things that don't happen.
All speculation, just like everyone else’s. I suspect DJI knows they have issues as well which is why they are replacing it.
DJI have no way to know what happened.
All they have to work with is the same flight data we've looked at here.
Data that doesn't give any clues about what happened after the data recording stopped.

And the thread isn’t allowed to discuss what might have gone wrong? I’m sure this won’t be the last. You don’t want look for patterns in failures despite the lack of a log file. Maybe when someone “guesses” it jogs the OP’s memory.

There is no harm in guessing what went wrong.

If guesses are bandied around enough, they tend to become fact in some peoples minds.
Things go off an all sorts of tangents and muddy what's actually shown in the logs, as little as it may be sometimes.

There's enough info here (or lack of) for DJI to replace the drone, that is the one good thing now.

DJI never tell a 'client' what went wrong with their drone / flight, I guess that's one reason the may be keeping DAT files encrypted now for only their eyes.
They know there are too many clever people in drone circles to dig in deeper than DJI likes.

Hey Guys, I got the below from Dji last night, does it mean they will chi to me from Australia or is it going to come from China to Aus then to me in New Zealand
Dear Customer,

This message is from DJI Support. After testing your product, DJI has determined to provide you with free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished within 3 to 5 business days, after which the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI.
Case Info.
Customer
Suren Munoo
Case No.
CAS-
Quotation Date
2022-Jan-11
Remark

Offered a new replacement with DJI Standard warranty . NO commercial packaging for the replacement.
DJI Mavic 3 Aircraft&Gimbal Module(Including Propellers&Battery)

Quantity: 1
Unit Price : 2,788.00
Amount : 2,788.00
Shipping and handling Services
Total Amount
Discount
Total Payment (AUD)

GST Included in Total Payment (10%)

DJI TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
Address
46 Indian Drive, Keysborough VIC 3173
ABN