DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new Mavic Air doesnt fly backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
more to the point "buying something that's banned with no bill, receipt or warranty":(

Irrespective of that i stand by my statement. You are talking legality. Im talking about a dysfunctional unit. So because its banned in my country you want to defend DJI for the dysfunctional equipment they can sell. Its justified ?

I already stated that my problem is that its taboo banned. Not literally banned (no law for it or against it yet) as i told u, read my previous post clearly.

This is what we get for buying a DJI product and it serves me right for choosing a Chinese based product.
I don't think you can blame DJI for that. You bought something which is deemed illegal in your country. I think for a company to support a product that is not allowed, it is going to be a bit more complicated. They could be fined for supplying an 'illegal' product. I mean if they do replace under warranty, if it does get confiscated on the way back to you, customs will know if came direct from DJI, and might go after them.

I've dealt with DJI customer support a few times. I didn't have a bad experience with them. So I don't agree that they don't care about their product after it's sold.

Definitely your best bet is to find someone locally who can help. Maybe re install the firmware again. Reboot and try calibrating again. Is not going backwards a show stopper? Just fly forward.

Reactions: Elhefe4
It's worth attempting to calibrate again Otherwise contact dji. Authorized or not you bought a 'sealed' unit that should carry warranty. However knowing the previous conversation we had about consumer protection in India I don't know if it will work 100%, but it's worth exploring.

I think I saw something online that talked about how India is a drone free area and are not allowed anywhere . Was that story inaccurate?

I tried the calibration method again and it went through. Though the bottom sensors part was freezing a lot during the box chase move. Still i held it patiently and it says calibration complete. The back sensors went thru smooth and fast just like the front sensors. Only the bottom sensors calibration seems to stall / act very finicky. Is this the same for others who have done it ?

Now theres a new surprise. DJI assistant latest ver wont recognize my remote to do a firmware refresh on that too. Any suggestions what i should do please ?

Irrespective of that i stand by my statement. You are talking legality. Im talking about a dysfunctional unit. So because its banned in my country you want to defend DJI for the dysfunctional equipment they can sell. Its justified ?

I already stated that my problem is that its taboo banned. Not literally banned (no law for it or against it yet) as i told u, read my previous post clearly.
IM NOT DEFENDING ANYONE
read my post clearlyThumbswayup

I don't think you can blame DJI for that. You bought something which is deemed illegal in your country. I think for a company to support a product that is not allowed, it is going to be a bit more complicated. They could be fined for supplying an 'illegal' product. I mean if they do replace under warranty, if it does get confiscated on the way back to you, customs will know if came direct from DJI, and might go after them.

I've dealt with DJI customer support a few times. I didn't have a bad experience with them. So I don't agree that they don't care about their product after it's sold.

Definitely your best bet is to find someone locally who can help. Maybe re install the firmware again. Reboot and try calibrating again. Is not going backwards a show stopper? Just fly forward.

I tried the re-calibrate. Just read on how that went. Im not blaming DJI for the service. I understood and bought this with no expectation from DJI to back it up, which was also explained to me before the sale. Is that clear. Im only mentioning how wonderful their presale quality control is and will they even try to help on their official forum (they gave me a one line canned response to do a refresh and then stopped further replying on the thread) or thru chat etc, no right ? In what way does legality step in there. Unless they are manufacturing them in a special quality only for India.

If i sell you a car and say no warranty. because your in another country. Then i refuse to help or even answer the phone to guide you with the new product, just because you took it to another country ? And thats OK ? Nice theory.

Im only asking for knowledge help and didnt blame DJI for not taking it back etc. I even explained that if they asked to replace or repair i cant send it back.

"Customs will know it came from DJI and go after them" ??? LOL, the jurisdiction of the entry country ends in that country. You can send anything and they will seize and incinerate it, that's the max they can do. Its legal to import them LOL. You can send a 1000 units, only thing whoever collects them, the RECEIVER should have valid documentation to collect the drone. There's no crime sending them by the truck load. Same way like you can manufacture a 1000 cars and put them in the showrooms, only the one who buys and receives it for USE has to have a driving license and govt papers for the vehicle. In other words manufacturing and selling a drone is not illegal. Flying it MIGHT be depending on the users country.

Last edited:
Generally the controllers stick is a combined potentiometer or other movement sensors containing equipment. So the error can be in sensing that you moved the stick on the backwards direction - error of the RC. Simple test could be done to try to borrow another (functional) remote controller, link it to drone and try. Simpler exclusion of sw/drone fault is to connect MA directly to you phone via wifi and check if this stillnot work. The last possibility to switch to Smartcapture and controll it by hand.
The best is to look at youtube how to connect the drone directly to your phone via wifi.the same with smartcapture.
Good luck
p.s. in order to exclude restricted area issue (this is figured out only when you are i gps mode so the dji4go knows your location) fly it indoors in larger room (atti mode)and try the backward move with controller.

Im unable to refresh my remote controller through the DJI ASSISTANT 2 latest version. Any idea how to refresh it ? Because the phone method only allows to download firmware and not refresh.

Ok. Im sorry but i wasnt able to then understand the true essence of what your telling me. Because it sounded like a trick line.
no trick
I would persevere with another recalibration of "everything" then if no improvement I would go the route of paying for a repair locally.
I totally get that this is an expensive solution but it seems you are in a no win situation with the current laws in India.
I hope you manage to get it sorted and then you can enjoy your flying

Gentlemen
I am wondering you spend effort and time to discuss so many points not related to the problem. I can help - I contribute. I cannot help I support or keep quiet.

Plainman 007 did you have chance to test my suggestions?

I'd imagine since these things are borderline illegal in his area I don't think there's a wide availability of people with controllers he can try out.

But it's not a bad suggestion for those who run into similar situations

Gentlemen
I am wondering you spend effort and time to discuss so many points not related to the problem. I can help - I contribute. I cannot help I support or keep quiet.

Hi Lzet,

I did the calibration today morning and got to fly it this evening. I would say it was much better. I was able to fly in reverse for about 300 feet which is a big difference now. Thanks to you and everyone who helped. And especially for your patience. Ill post below the steps i took consolidated from all your advice so that members who have a similar problem can have something to work on.

Once your happy with the way it flys don’t do any updates from dji . There updates mess up many drones that had zero problems

Reactions: fly less combo
I would t worry about the remote. Sensor calibration should be enough.

Try flying again.

Hi MM,

I tried flying this evening as i was mentioning to Lzet and things were much better. The AIR was more responsive and was faster in flying backwards and the moment it crossed that usual limit i knew, bingo we did it. Just flew one battery but i was at peace :). Thank you for helping.

Reactions: Underdog1964
Once your happy with the way it flys don’t do any updates from dji . There updates mess up many drones that had zero problems

Hi Canuk,

But how do we do that. Every time i power on the remote i see on my phone display (DJI Go Fly Screen) that its trying to check for firmware versions. But i never give it a chance to connect to the internet by keeping my phone in airplane mode and my data mode always off.

But if you need to log in to DJIGo again then we need to connect to the internet right ? At that time how do we stop it from quickly updating the firmware ? I guess login in and immediately disconnect internet ?

It won't auto update, only tell you it needs one. Disable automatic app updates on whatever device you're flying with. That stops go app from updating.
The firmware will be less often.

Reactions: JDawg
I went into my phone and I-pad and shut off auto update on my apps. I have a old phantom 2 that got the camera screwed up from a update . My pro flys good with no connection issues and I want to stay that way .

Reactions: colinfowler
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998