DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Second project- Sneak Preview

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Until June I had never flown a UAV, never edited video (after VHS days) and yet, here 3 months later, I'm getting down to final edits on my second project. I have a few more ideas I want to include but the wind has kept me away as the trajectory needs to be precise for my final ideas. It's so hard to tell in the editor exactly how things will render. I have been working with DaVinci Resolve 16 and don't have the color grading down exactly yet, especially because I didn't know how to approach the settings aspect while flying. Some of it was shot in normal mode on my M2P, the last bits in D-log and one or two scenes with my Mini. Comments are welcome as I still have a bit of work to do.

Edit/update: I was a bit brain dead and should have attached the file as media as I have now. But check out the tweaked version that I've posted a few replies below (HD version still rendering as I close this update).

Vindibona's Second Project

Last edited:
Until June I had never flown a UAV, never edited video (after VHS days) and yet, here 3 months later, I'm getting down to final edits on my second project. I have a few more ideas I want to include but the wind has kept me away as the trajectory needs to be precise for my final ideas. It's so hard to tell in the editor exactly how things will render. I have been working with DaVinci Resolve 16 and don't have the color grading down exactly yet, especially because I didn't know how to approach the settings aspect while flying. Some of it was shot in normal mode on my M2P, the last bits in D-log and one or two scenes with my Mini. Comments are welcome as I still have a bit of work to do.

Quick learner

Nice!!!!! Beautiful place. At the 3 minute mark the lighting really was nice. Overall great project for being only the second one. Learning DaVinci myself! Still haven't tackled a full project yet. Congrats!

Thank you for your comments. I've done some additional tweaking and added one short clip that I waited to get as the wind has been a little stronger here lately. I was also stupid as I should have attached it as a media item. But here's the tweaked clip...

Last edited:
Reactions: W2EJ
great footage .u nailed it .. fabulous architectural detailed building ... wonder hoe long it took to build it (need to google )

Edit/update: I was a bit brain dead and should have attached the file as media as I have now. But check out the tweaked version that I've posted a few replies below (HD version still rendering as I close this update).

Ah, this certainly brings back memories of my Chicagoland boyhood!!! I was born and raised on the north side Chicago. My best friend and I did many, many, bike trips up Sheridan Road to Wilmette, Evanston, Winnetka, and Glencoe. My father owned a drug store near the Wrigley Field. I have never seen the Bah'ai Temple from the top down. Wonderful footage and great job all in all. (now living in Miami since 1970).

Ah, this certainly brings back memories of my Chicagoland boyhood!!! I was born and raised on the north side Chicago. My best friend and I did many, many, bike trips up Sheridan Road to Wilmette, Evanston, Winnetka, and Glencoe. My father owned a drug store near the Wrigley Field. I have never seen the Bah'ai Temple from the top down. Wonderful footage and great job all in all. (now living in Miami since 1970).
Thank you. Miami looks like it has some great filming opportunities. The last few years we've been coming to Miami for a week or two as we have relatives in the area in Sunny Isles, Boca and one other place I can't remember. It looks like this year we will be COVID avoidant and at this point looks like we're not coming. I don't think a vaccine will be readily available by then.

Another tweak is coming. The perfectionist in me keeps finding stuff to tweak. Hopefully this next one will be the last one (fingers crossed).

Thank you. Miami looks like it has some great filming opportunities. The last few years we've been coming to Miami for a week or two as we have relatives in the area in Sunny Isles, Boca and one other place I can't remember. It looks like this year we will be COVID avoidant and at this point looks like we're not coming. I don't think a vaccine will be readily available by then.

Another tweak is coming. The perfectionist in me keeps finding stuff to tweak. Hopefully this next one will be the last one (fingers crossed).
Yes, Miami is great for filming. You can check out my many Miami films on https://vimeo.com/user143737767
I have several favorite spots so when you come down, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Sorry but I just checked that link and it did not work. Try this link and it will bring you to a sunrise over Biscayne Bay and my other films Dale Davis

Last edited:
great footage .u nailed it .. fabulous architectural detailed building ... wonder hoe long it took to build it (need to google )
Thank you. I have since tweaked it a bit more and think I'm done (hopefully). It took a long time to build it. I'm not sure what the start date was, but I know it was interrupted with WWII and wasn't dedicated until 1953.

Sorry but I just checked that link and it did not work. Try this link and it will bring you to a sunrise over Biscayne Bay and my other films Dale Davis
Thanks for sharing that Dale. What I have not yet explored is hyperlapse. You've done a nice job with that stuff. I haven't explored panoramas either. I'll have to think of ways I can use that as I need a new project now.

I watched the video for your credits and two things came to mind: Can my Canon 5D mark III do anything fancy like time lapse [I'll have to Google it]? Until 3 months ago I never used the Canon for video. My only regret is that I didn't hold out for the Mark IV because of the focus limitation on the Mark III. Secondly, I've owned two good tripods, an old Bogen that I bought in 1984 and a Gitzo that I must have purchased in the latter 90's. I love that Bogen so much that it is my go-to tripod while my Gitzo stays in like new condition, almost never having been used in probably 25 years.

I laugh at the "Democratic Republic of Cook County." Of course, that is certainly tongue in cheek. I do not want to get into politics, but growing up in Chicago, it was a requirement to be Democratic if you wanted your street plowed or a parking ticket fixed. That was in the Mayor Richard Daley days. Donating to your local alderman granted you an early street plowing after a huge snow storm. In Miami I don''t have to worry about that anymore. I am no longer Democratic.

Timelapse, as you know, is a whole other specialty requiring a lot of time and practice. Hyperlapse is really nothing different from timelapse except that the camera is moving. In each case, you need either a camera with a built in intervalometer (like my two Nikon D750's or higher models like the Nikon D800, 850), or you need an external intervalometer (many for sale on Amazon). These will plug into the Canon. I've been doing timelapse since 2015 and most of my films have at least 50% of the clips as a timelapse. Google this term. intervalometer for canon

Also, for many years I went through tripod after tripod. They were all crap.They fell apart, they let the camera sag, they got sand in the legs, etc. I finally purchased a Really Right Stuff. I should have done it years ago. There simply is no comparison. The RRS tripods are wonderful. BUT $$$.

My best advise if you want to learn time-lapse is to go to the grand Mufti or Maven of timelapse Gunther Wegner. Gunther is a brilliant young German photographer who developed the software I use, called LR Timelapse.. His site has many videos you need to watch. There is a free version to try out. www.LRTimelapse.com
Panoramas are EASY. With your Canon, just hold your camera vertically, overlap your shots about 30% on the same horizontal line in you vision, take anywhere from 3 to 12 shots, swiveling your body (camera on Aperture preferred), and then develop easily in Photoshop or Lightroom. You can do the same with multiple drone exposures NOT using the drone software. Just be sure to save the RAW files in your menu and throw away the jpeg files used by the drone to generate the image. With the drone, put on your gird, overlaps the images 30%, save the images in RAW.

Feel free to contact me individually for questions.

Dale
Miami

I laugh at the "Democratic Republic of Cook County." Of course, that is certainly tongue in cheek. I do not want to get into politics, but growing up in Chicago, it was a requirement to be Democratic if you wanted your street plowed or a parking ticket fixed. That was in the Mayor Richard Daley days. Donating to your local alderman granted you an early street plowing after a huge snow storm. In Miami I don''t have to worry about that anymore. I am no longer Democratic.

Timelapse, as you know, is a whole other specialty requiring a lot of time and practice. Hyperlapse is really nothing different from timelapse except that the camera is moving. In each case, you need either a camera with a built in intervalometer (like my two Nikon D750's or higher models like the Nikon D800, 850), or you need an external intervalometer (many for sale on Amazon). These will plug into the Canon. I've been doing timelapse since 2015 and most of my films have at least 50% of the clips as a timelapse. Google this term. intervalometer for canon

Also, for many years I went through tripod after tripod. They were all crap.They fell apart, they let the camera sag, they got sand in the legs, etc. I finally purchased a Really Right Stuff. I should have done it years ago. There simply is no comparison. The RRS tripods are wonderful. BUT $$$.

My best advise if you want to learn time-lapse is to go to the grand Mufti or Maven of timelapse Gunther Wegner. Gunther is a brilliant young German photographer who developed the software I use, called LR Timelapse.. His site has many videos you need to watch. There is a free version to try out. www.LRTimelapse.com
Panoramas are EASY. With your Canon, just hold your camera vertically, overlap your shots about 30% on the same horizontal line in you vision, take anywhere from 3 to 12 shots, swiveling your body (camera on Aperture preferred), and then develop easily in Photoshop or Lightroom. You can do the same with multiple drone exposures NOT using the drone software. Just be sure to save the RAW files in your menu and throw away the jpeg files used by the drone to generate the image. With the drone, put on your gird, overlaps the images 30%, save the images in RAW.

Feel free to contact me individually for questions.

Dale
Miami

Thanks for the tips. As you know Gitzo's are not cheap tripods, but mine weighs twice what my Bogen does for the same elevation. Consequently, with all the gear we can carry lighter weight with near equal sturdiness wins. I'd say that after 36 years, having changed the leg clamps once, my Bogen owes me nothing, but will be something that my kids will end up giving away when I'm on the other side of the grass. So much left to learn. I think one of my next adventures will be creating virtual tours as I think that's where the money is.

Chicago and Cook County have allowed themselves to get into serious financial trouble because there hasn't been another party to challenge them for decades and keep them honest. I'll stop here, though I could write a manifesto.

Thank you for your comments. I've done some additional tweaking and added one short clip that I waited to get as the wind has been a little stronger here lately. I was also stupid as I should have attached it as a media item. But here's the tweaked clip...

This second one was way better that the first one you posted. I was there a few months ago, but didn't fly my drone. I should have. That was beautiful!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk